7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2010 11:44 AM by adrianaharper

Need project to use a different mapID file

adrianaharper Level 1

Hi all, using TCS2 on Win7 64 bit.

I am generating a Robohelp project and want to use CSH (context sensitive help). I see a BSSCDefault.h file under my Map Files folder - but that file is obselete. I want to create a new map file with the updated IDs and then have the project use that file instead of the BSSCDefault.h file.

When I look at the folder where my help is publishing, the file whcshdata.htm (which I think is where the help would be called from) doesn't look like it is even updating.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Adriana

• 1. Re: Need project to use a different mapID file
          RoboColum(n) Level 5

Hi Adriana.

Are you saying that your project has mapids in the BSSCDefault.h file? If so, what I'd do is create a new map file (let's call it newmapfile.h for this exxample). Close RoboHelp. Open the BSSCDefault.h file in Notepad and copy the entire contents to your clipboard. Now open up the newmapfile.h file and paste in the clipboard contents. Open up your RH project and go into the Edit Mapids dialog. Manually unassign all the mapids from the BSSCDefault.h file, select the newmapfile.h file and assign the mapids to the topics. Once you have tested this, you can remove the contents of the BSSCDefault.h file.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
          • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need project to use a different mapID file
            adrianaharper Level 1

Hi,  Thanks for the info, but I think I didn't quite explain myself properly (sorry). When I add new topics, I guess I have to manually add the map IDs to the default mapID file. What I was hoping to do was to just generate a new mapID file everytime I publish my online help and then "point" RH to that mapID file, as I thought this would be easier to make sure I don't miss anything.

I am guessing I can't do it this way...

Adriana

• 3. Re: Need project to use a different mapID file
              adrianaharper Level 1

At the risk of being redundant, I'm going to re-ask this question to see if there are any other alternatives out there, as I sort of understand better what's happening now.

In my RH project I have a CSH mapID file: BSSCDefault.h

In that file are all my mapIDs that are used for CSH. As I add new content to my RH project (linked from an FM book that is always growing), I need to add new mapIDs to those new subjects, to that my cshdat_webhelp.htm files will be updated when I publish and the CSH markers will be included in the files.

1- Is it true that I need to manually manage this BSSCDefault.h file? i.e. if I delete a marker, I need to manually delete the mapID, and if I add a marker, I need to manually add the mapID?

2- Let's say I add multiple new markers -- too many to remember which ones are manually added. How can I update the BSSCDefault.h file? If I simply choose all the topics and say auto-map, the existing markers are created in duplicate in the MapID list. Not good!!

3- Can I create a new map file and REPLACE BSSCDefault.h with the new mapfile?  In Column's response, he talked about creating a new mapID file. But that new file does not seem to superceeded BSSCDefault.h when the project is published so it doesn't look at the CSH markers in there, anyways.

Here's a crazy though: what if I just auto-map all the topics everytime I update -- duplicates will be created -- and then, I right-click on BSSCDefault.h and say "Remove Unused MapIDs" ? Has anyone tried this?

Any help is appreciated.

Thx,

Adriana

• 4. Re: Need project to use a different mapID file
                Willam van Weelden Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi,

RH uses all your map files when you generate your project. It doesn't matter how many you use.

As for manually creating the context sensitivity. You need the map file with the id's and the alias (.ali) file to link the id's to topics. These files are just plain text files and you can use a script to automatically generate them. Just ask a nice developer to create such a script/program for you. The developer can then use your map file in the program to call the help.

Greet,

Willam

This e-mail is personal. For our full disclaimer, please visit www.centric.eu/disclaimer.

• 5. Re: Need project to use a different mapID file
                  adrianaharper Level 1

Hi - thanks.

So the BSSCDefault.h file is not related to the cshdat_webhelp.htm file?  Or all map files in a project (even if I have multiple map files)will be used to create the cshdat_webhelp.htm everytime I publish?   (sorry - I don't mean to be dense).

-A

• 6. Re: Need project to use a different mapID file
                    Willam van Weelden Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That's right. The cshdat_webhelp.htm is recreated every time you publish.

Greet,

Willam

This e-mail is personal. For our full disclaimer, please visit www.centric.eu/disclaimer.

• 7. Re: Need project to use a different mapID file
                      adrianaharper Level 1

Sorry for the delay, I got pulled into something else.

Thanks- you are right... the file is getting updated. Great!

Thanks

Adriana