4 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2010 7:23 AM by Dominic Michael

SFTP(ssh) server connection OK but can't edit or administer site

Marko Level 1

We have always been able to connect to our site using standard ftp however, we've installed IPSwitch'd FTP_PRO 7.5 server with SSH and now we can connect fine but we can no longer edit any files or administer the site. We're getting the error "An error occured. Please contact your administrator". Looking at the FTP log it appears Contribute cannot find the lck files - actually none exist so I'm guessing this might be a Windows permission issue with locking the files for editing. I have tried removing all Contribute config files both locally and on the server and then the problem gets worse. FTP log says that it can't find the _mm folder - again probably a permissions issues with re-creating it. I'm not sure which user account Contribute runs under on the Windows server.

Any help or suggesions would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: SFTP(ssh) server connection OK but can't edit or administer site
          Krishna Prasad B V

Hi,

This may be a Windows permission issue. For the pages, you edit in Contribute, Contribute creates lock files(lck files) in the server, so that other users cannot edit the page, without breaking the lock. In your case, I think Contribute is not able to create lock file, for the page you are trying to edit, in the server. This may be because the user name you are using does not have permission to create files (write permission).

While creating the website connection, when you provide the connection information of the server, you enter the SFTP user name and SFTP password. This user's permissions is used by Contribute to create lock files. This user might not have permission to create files. So, can you check whether this user has all the permissions?

Hope this helps. Cheers.

• 2. Re: SFTP(ssh) server connection OK but can't edit or administer site
            jestyr

This is not a permission problem but a problem between Contribute and the FTP server.  This is an issue that has been around for at least 5 years, best I can tell.  We are seeing the Contribute user log in just fine but when they want to edit a file Contribute immediately tries to read the .lck file which returns an "Access Denied" error. The .lck file does not exist at this point which is causing this whole problem. If I create a blank text file and name it "default.htm.lck" and then try to edit the default.htm things are just fine. The user clicks the edit button, Contribute makes a call to the file system to read the .lck file, finds it, it's blank and has no information to read so it goes ahead and lets the user edit the page. When the user finishes the edit and uploads the file Contribute deletes the .lck file and then back to the "Access Denied" error for the next time.

To test this I have two sFTP servers and one web server.  The two FTP server authenticate via Active Directory and connect to the webserver via UNC paths.  The two FTP servers are running different software for the FTP part, one works the other does not.

trying to get a nonexistent file from the working FTP server results in

Code:

psftp> get bla.htm
            /bla.htm: open for read: no such file or directory

trying to get a nonexistent file from the other FTP server results in

Code:

psftp> get bla.htm
            /bla.htm: open for read: failure

From what I can gather at http://www.justskins.com/forums/contribute-cannot-edit-files-over-sftp-4977.html the server is returning an error code 4, a general sftp error. what Contribute is expecting is a error code 2, file not found.  Why some FTP servers return the error code 4, I have no clue.  But who thought it would be a good idea to open a file that may or may not exist?  Wouldn't it have been easier to check for the lck file first?

• 3. Re: SFTP(ssh) server connection OK but can't edit or administer site
              Marko Level 1

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

We decided to test Adobe Contribute using another SSH server and it worked like a charm. For some reason IPSWITCH's WS_FTP Server with ssh is NOT compatable with Adobe Contribute. We are still evaluating the new ssh server but it seems to work very nicely.

If anyone is interested here is the ssh product.

http://www.vandyke.com/

• 4. Re: SFTP(ssh) server connection OK but can't edit or administer site
                Dominic Michael Adobe Employee

In Adobe Contribute CS5 it works fine.