4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2010 3:33 PM by TodDavid

Resolution Output Help

TodDavid

I need help making sense of output resolution/

aspect ratio.

I shoot with a Canon HV20 in DV Wide mode (not HD) and also a solid state lipstick camera recorder in 480p.  Because I frequently have to edit together these two resolutions, I opted not to shoot the Canon in HD Wide because I would have to scale up the solid state footage too much and it would start to look too pixelated.

When starting a new project in Premiere Pro, I choose DV-NTSC Widescreen 48kHz.  Frame size is 720 x 480.  Pixel aspect ratio of D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9.

The preview screen in Premiere Pro "looks" correct in terms of height and width, and the content does not look streched or distorted.

I export in .avi format, and general settings are DV AVI and video settings are DV NTSC compressor, frame size 720h 480v 16:9, pixel aspect ratio D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9.

When I view the exported video in any type of playback application like Windows Media Player or Youtube (after uploading), the video fills the screen both horizontally and vertically (with no bars), but the vertical aspect is stretched about 25%, making the images look a bit distorted.  This happens with no matter what content I have edited, and does not matter whether or not I have mixed together the Canon footage with the 480p footage.

Even after converting into flash format for playback on our website, the same issue happens.  Adobe Flash CS3 recognizes the content as 720 x 480.

For the life of me, I cannot determine what setting I have wrong in the chain here.  Can someone help?

Todd