3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2010 1:17 PM by jonboy0000

Tips to Creating a Forum - without FTP/MySQL.. please help!

jonboy0000 Level 1

I need to create a forum for my coworkers on our company website that I created a bit ago. The problem, however, is that I don't have direct access to our server - I can only access it locally from "my network connections" as a folder, and drop files into it. I'd imagine I can create a forum manually this way, then drop whatever is needed into the server folder (database, etc.?), but I have no idea where to start...

I tried simplescripts.com first, and tried to add PhPBB to my site, but it requires ftp info, which I don't have and I.T. won't give. I also can't install new software to the work comp (again, compliments of I.T.) but I do use my own laptop at work, too - so if something needs to be installed just to create the forum I can do that, but not to run the forum..

please help! Trying to work around FTP, which I don't really understand anyway, is very frustrating! Thanks in advance!!

---

I have 2 ideas that may work, but can anyone verify? I have another website hosted by bluehost, which uses simplescripts. Can I just create a forum for that site, and then manually transfer the files from that server to this one?

-or-

Can I create a forum on an external site, and just link to it? That seems easiest, but not ideal..

• 1. Re: Tips to Creating a Forum - without FTP/MySQL.. please help!
          bregent Most Valuable Participant

>The problem, however, is that I don't have direct access to our server

Then you can't do it.

A forum requires a database to store the data, plus some form of server side scripting. To host this yourself you will need a web server, database server and application server. You can't simply copy files to a file server if that is what you are asking.

> I'd imagine I can create a forum manually this way,

>then drop whatever is needed into the server folder (database, etc.?), but

No, this will not work.

>Trying to work around FTP, which I don't really

>understand anyway, is very frustrating! Thanks

>in advance!!

FTP is simply a protocol that you can use to transfer files. It has nothing to do with your problem. Your problem appears to be that you do not have a web server to run your forum on.

>Can I create a forum on an external site,

>and just link to it? That seems easiest, but not ideal..

Unless you find a web server in house you can use, that is your only option.

• 2. Re: Tips to Creating a Forum - without FTP/MySQL.. please help!
            jonboy0000 Level 1

Thanks for the reply!

I think it's pretty obvious I know little/nothing about the server we're using.. But I found ASP / JS files in the server folder, so does that help? I thought I read somewhere that ASP can be used to create things like forums and forms and such. "Server-Side Scripting?"

• 3. Re: Tips to Creating a Forum - without FTP/MySQL.. please help!
              jonboy0000 Level 1

The files in the server folder are aspnet_client (folder) and smartNav.htm, smartnav.js, webuivalidation.js.

The forum was bugging me but it's not critical. We do, however, need well-working forms, hopefully to send info in a coherent email to a coworker. The "mailto:" isn't cutting it.

For this, isn't it something like creating a form in an .html, then posting/getting an .asp/JS file with script telling the html to send the form in email format?