7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2007 3:27 PM by Newsgroup_User

Color Chooser

Stephanie_1 Level 1
      Is it possible to create some sort of a "color chooser" where visitors to my site can look at a product, then click different colors next to that product to see what it would look like with the different colors? For example, if a customer of a car dealership wanted to view a vehicle in a variety of colors, how would the dealership set up their website, so customers can change the color of the vehicle easily with only a click on the desired color?
      Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Color Chooser
          JoeDaSilva Level 4
          Yes of course it's possible. Do you want to delve into flash to accomplish it? Do you want to be able to administrate the system from some sort of backend (add new colors, items, etc)?

Before you could even start to get an answer on how to accomplish this goal you should probably nail down the scope a little better.
          • 2. Re: Color Chooser
            Stephanie_1 Level 1
            Being able to administer the system from the backend to add new colors, etc would be great.
            Can I accomplish this with Dreamweaver and CSS or is Flash the way to go?
            • 3. Color Chooser
              JoeDaSilva Level 4
              There's no way that I'm aware of to build advanced database applications automagically like that in Dreamweaver, if there was I don't think PHP programmers would command the salary they do ;-)

Accomplishing this in Flash is going to be some pretty heavy duty Actionscript too.

As I have no idea what kind if skill level you have in either Actionscript programming and/or php/asp it's difficult for me to make a recommendation.
              • 4. Re: Color Chooser
                Stephanie_1 Level 1
                I dont' have any experience with Actionscript, and a little experience with php/asp. I thought this would be a nice addition to our company website, but it seems very, very complicated.
                If I did want to give it the ol' college try, which program would you recommend?
                Thanks for your help!
                • 5. Re: Color Chooser
                  JoeDaSilva Level 4
                  To be honest with you, google.com ;-)

As for a platform, I'd assume that Flash would add additional complications on what's already a looking like quite a project, especially if you want backend administration.

Good luck!

PS:

You might try looking through hotscripts.com to see if there's something pre-rolled that meets your needs.
                  • 6. Re: Color Chooser
                    Stephanie_1 Level 1
                    Great, thanks for all your help!!
                    • 7. Re: Color Chooser
                      Level 7
                      On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:48:18 +0000 (UTC), "Stephanie_1"
                      <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>Is it possible to create some sort of a "color chooser" where visitors to my
                      >site can look at a product, then click different colors next to that product to
                      >see what it would look like with the different colors? For example, if a
                      >customer of a car dealership wanted to view a vehicle in a variety of colors,
                      >how would the dealership set up their website, so customers can change the
                      >color of the vehicle easily with only a click on the desired color?
                      > Thanks!

What Joey describes would be great, but you can do a much simpler
                      version with the show/hide layer behavior.