7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2010 12:12 PM by the_wine_snob

Scratch disk locations always revert back to source directory

SJurick Level 1

I'm trying to consolidate all my PPRO projects temp directories (Auto Saves, Encoded files and Previews) to a single location on another drive for ease of maintenance.  It's easier to be able to go to a single location and delete files pertaining to a project than to naviage to each individual project's location and do it from there.  What I've noticed is that after making changes to a project's Scratch locations, the changes aren't taking.

Process:

- Open PPRO

- Open a project

- Change all the scratch disk locations to a seperate drive (both source and new location are internal drives)

- Close PPRO

- Delete existing AutoSave, Preview, Encoded Files from original scratch disk location

- Open PPRO

- Open project, make some changes (edit, preview render, etc.)

- Close project

- Observe source and new destination directories

- Existing projects directories:  AutoSave and Encoded Files reappear in the source directory

- New requested locations:  Preview directory

Is this a bug or is there somewhere else I need to making changes to where I want all the temp directories to be written?  In Windows I could change the scratch disk locations in a project, delete the 3 directories AutoSave, Previews and Encoded from the original project's directory and the new directories would be built in the new location.

I have the following system:

MacPro 4,1 (Quadcore 2.93, 8GB RAM, 3 internal SATA)

OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.2 + current patches from both Apple and Adobe

Production Premium CS4

• 1. Re: Scratch disk locations always revert back to source directory
          the_wine_snob Level 9

- Open PPRO

- Open a project

- Change all the scratch disk locations to a seperate drive (both source and new location are internal drives)

- Close PPRO

One important step is missing from this workflow. Maybe you are doing it, and something else is happening, or maybe you have omitted it.

After the Preferences are done, are you doing a Save of the Project? If so, then try doing a Save_As and incrementing the Project Name.

I cannot recall at which point the Preferences will be changed for an existing Project, as I do not make such changes in mid-edit. It could well be that changing the Preferences, which is global, will actually have no effect on existing Projects, but I would think that they would. Still, it could be that those changes will only apply to later Projects. I've just never done what you are attempting to do.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Scratch disk locations always revert back to source directory
            SJurick Level 1

Hunt,

That makes perfect sense.  So I tried it with the existing project - did a save-as, exited, checked the directories, still the same.  Deleted existing Auto-Save / Encoded Files directories.  Re-opened the newly renamed project, made some changes, saved, exited and checked the drives - same thing (Auto-Save / Encoded directories were recreated in the source directory and Previews are where there should be).

So I thought that maybe creating a new project would help.  So the first time I left the options for capturing video and audio to stay in the source directory, and the bottom two where were for the previews were already pointing to the global location of the new drive.  After creating the project, did some editing and rendering of previews, checked out the directories.  The Auto-Save / Encoded Files were still in the source (which we should expect) and the Previews were located on the proper drive.  So really didn't learn anything here.

The next test was a new project with ALL 4 of the choices in being set to the new drive and directory.  Did the usual edit / render / save and even captured some footage to verify the captured video was going where it was set to go.  Auto-Save / Encoded Files still in the source directory, all others did what they were supposed to.

My conclusion is that the Auto-Save and Encoded Files are hard coded to reside in the project file's directory.  Captured Video / Audio as well as previews are staying consistent with the settings they are set to.  My main concern was for the preview files as they get the largest so it's not all that bad.  It would be nice to contain all the "Premiere system" folders to one location, and if there is a way to do that or argument why you wouldn't want to do that I'm all ears.

Steve

• 3. Re: Scratch disk locations always revert back to source directory
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I believe that you are definitely correct regarding the AutoSave files. Not sure about the Rendered files, but think that you are correct there. I would have thought, however, that the Render files could be set, based on the options that I have in PrPro 2.0:

Scratch_Disks_PrPro.jpg

The Video Previews can be set.

I also think that there are a few more options in CS4.

Now, I keep all of my Scratch Disks set to "Same As Project," for housekeeping reasons, and have not used other locations.

Thanks for doing the tests and for reporting your observations.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Scratch disk locations always revert back to source directory
                SJurick Level 1

CS4 has all the options you have, minus Media Cache and DVD Encoding.  I think I'm going to keep the Video / Audio Captures to the Source and let the Previews reside on another Drive and in a single directory.  A couple reasons for that are the one that I mentioned before about the ease of finding them to delete them, and the other is because of performance.  I believe you get better performance when the Previews are on a different drive than the one hosting the project itself.  I know this was the case back in the Premiere 1.0 / 2.0 days, not sure if things have changed in the Creative Suite series but I kind of doubt it.

Here's what the options look like in CS4:

Screen-shot-2010-03-20-at-2.28.11-PM.png

• 5. Re: Scratch disk locations always revert back to source directory
                  Level 4

HI,

I just installed a 2nd HD ( internal sata) so that I could keep all project files and scratch disk on that drive...use my root drive ( c ) for program only...and everything else ( everything ) on the 2nd drive...

It's working great. Scratch disk is on new drive, all source files and all renderings...everything...

I was lucky to have nothing going on...no projects current as I got rid of that stuff on C drive or moved to new one...starting from scratch ( ironic use of word ? ).

I read that there are different opinions about the pagefile ( Im on windows machine ) location, but I've got that on the 2nd drive too.  The only problem with that is that when I tried to put the whole pagefile on the new drive I got a mssg saying the C drive might not recover properly with NO pagefile...soooo, I have a small pagefile on C and a bigger one on the new HD.

Like I said, everything for me is starting fresh...I deleted everything form C ( or moved to new hd - same thing )...then defragged and all that so new drive had pagefile close to core of drive, etc...and it all seems OK....

Good luck

Rod

• 6. Re: Scratch disk locations always revert back to source directory
                    SJurick Level 1

Funny how threads take on a life of their own.  Here I was trying to find out why certain directories were being written and why, and now we are on best practices for scratch disks ha ha.

Never heard of not being able to completely remove the page file from the C: drive though.  My standard build was always to remove it first thing (assuming I had more than one drive).  If using that machine for video editing, my config would look something like:  c: for OS and Apps ONLY, d: Data (project files, assets, pagefile, etc.), e: Win Temp dir, Premiere preview files, Audition temp, Photoshop temp, etc.  That always worked well for me. 

Now I'm on a Mac and don't have to worry about most of that.  I do require more than my 8GB currently installed on my 8 core Mac Pro.  Didn't realize that to do HD editing it's recommended to have at MIN 2 GB per processor - so I guess another $1700 for 32 GB of RAM never hurt anyone <g>.

There are some things that are not platform dependent though like; never use external storage to do production editing on (for performance reasons), always use the fastest drives you can get, when possible use smaller drives with less platters for better seeking, stuff like that.

Anyways, I'll consider this thread closed (at least about the Auto-Save / Encoded Files directories) - feel free to chime in on best practices for optimizing Windows / Mac boxes for video editing.

Take care.

• 7. Re: Scratch disk locations always revert back to source directory
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for reporting that change in CS4. Sorry that I could not check that version out. Interesting.

Good luck,

Hunt