6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2010 4:03 AM by Zabeth69

typing in Design window -> formatting in code window

lizat Level 1

I don't understand what happens to the formatting in the Code window when I type text in Design window. Any line of text is often browken up into one word and pilcrow (end paragraph ) lines and/or I get lots of blank lines between text that is designed to be one line - and is in design window.

Is there some way to stop this behaviour?

thank you........... liz

• 1. Re: typing in Design window -> formatting in code window
          Zabeth69 Level 5

I'm not sure what you're saying...does the text in your Design View look correct? If you strike Enter or Return on your keyboard, you WILL get a pilcrow (thanks for that, by the way...I never knew in all these years what the proper term was for that mark!).

If your Code View window is narrow, your text will appear to be broken up, but it is just wrapped to a narrow line-length. HTML ignores all multiple wordspaces and treats them like a single space, and extra line spaces in Code View don't always mean extra line spaces in Design View...unless there are pilcrows or line-breaks <br />.

Check your Preferences (under the Edit menu) for this behavior. Another possibility is a keyboard that needs cleaning (trying to think of all possibilities...) or replacing. If you don't see this kind of behavior with other programs, it's probably not that.

Beth

• 2. Re: typing in Design window -> formatting in code window
            lizat Level 1

Yes, text in Design pane is fine.

Hardware is also fine.

I am working on a wide screen and this isn' ta case of wrapping.

What happens is something like this:

In design pane:

1. The original line is this " here is the latest news from the club, including news of our birthday party¶"
            2. It is edited to be  " here is the latest news from the club, including easter closures¶"
            3. displayed succssfully in design pane

In Code pane:

1. the original line is dsplayed like this: "Here is the latest news from The Tango Club ¶"
            2. after the editing in 2 above is is like this:

ª     ª     Here¶

( there are 21 lines with only a pilcrow & I didn't edit anything at this point in the line)

¶...

ª     ª     ª    is the latest news from The¶

ª     ª     ª   Club, including news of¶

(  there are 20 lines with only a pilcrow & I didn't edit anyting at  this point in the line)

¶...

ª     ª     ª  our birthday party and Easter¶

(  there are 8 lines with only a pilcrow & I added the "and Easter closures" without any end paragraphs)

¶...

ª     ª     ª  closures. ¶

If add more then the 8 lines with only a pilcrow increase in number. I should explain that the "baby a" symbol represents a tab

Perhaps there is something set in my preferences but I can see anything obvious, especially as this isn't anything that a user would want. It's maddening!

Any Ideas? thank you..... liz

• 3. Re: typing in Design window -> formatting in code window
              lizat Level 1

dummy post to try and find answer again

• 4. Re: typing in Design window -> formatting in code window
                Zabeth69 Level 5

Have you tried replacing your Dreamweaver configuration file? You don't say whether you're on Windows or Mac, but here's a Windows reference: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/401/kb401118.html

And you should know that dummy posts work best if your item has fallen over to the second or third page. If you are still on the first page, you don't need to do that. Not everyone is on the computer all weekend like some of us.

Beth

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: typing in Design window -> formatting in code window
                  lizat Level 1

Sorry beth I was about to update it with this:

This behaviour only happens in the Code pane and not in the Code Inspector panel

• 6. Re: typing in Design window -> formatting in code window
                    Zabeth69 Level 5

Here's another, more recent link on the cache file: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/494811

Beth