5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2010 12:51 PM by the_wine_snob

Nvidia Drivers for PE8 on Win7 x64

Culloden Muir

Reports on this forum are clear that in order to get PE8 working correctly under Windows 7 64bit it is necessary to have at least the 195.81 driver installed.

The latest available driver for the GeForce 9600M GT according to Nvidia website is 195.62, but this is not for Sony machines where Sony have to be contacted.

The latest available driver from Sony is 187.83.

Seems that I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place ?

John L

Sony laptop VGN-AW41XH/Q

Intel Core 2 T9600 2.8 GHz

2 x 64GB SSD in RAID0 plus 500GB HDD

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT 512MB (4GB)

• 1. Re: Nvidia Drivers for PE8 on Win7 x64
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, many laptop mfgrs. use proprietary drivers. This creates major issues for video cards (and for audio cards/chips). There was a site where one could get the latest nVidia, or ATI driver, and customize it for their Sony, their Toshiba, etc. Do not have the link any more, and do not know if it is still in operation. The customization was free, but did take some work.

When I had a Toshiba (then the biggest, baddest laptop they built), it had one driver - the original installed one. Over 4 years, Toshiba offered zero updates. nVidia had issues about 3-dozen updates in that time, so I had to customize those via that site, to keep my drivers up to date. For grins, I checked the Toshiba site a year ago and the 10 year old driver was still their latest. Also, Toshiba's customer support was horrible, so I replaced that laptop with a Sager, and never looked back. The Sager does NOT use any proprietary drivers, and I liked that. I can update from nVidia and for Realtec audio drivers.

Other than that site (will post the URL, if I can find it), I know of no way to update those proprietary drivers, until Sony, Toshiba, et al, bothers to do so.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Nvidia Drivers for PE8 on Win7 x64
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Have not found that site yet, but here is a LINK on a "do-it-yourself" way.

I have never tried customizing a driver, except through the site that I mentioned. I cannot vouch for this method.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Nvidia Drivers for PE8 on Win7 x64
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks to Barb__O, here is the LINK.

I used this in the past, and it worked fine. Have not used it in years, however.

Good luck, and a special thanks to Barb__O.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Nvidia Drivers for PE8 on Win7 x64
                Culloden Muir Level 1

Many thanks - now I can have fun trying to see which one is best !

John

• 5. Re: Nvidia Drivers for PE8 on Win7 x64
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

Good luck, and please report on your success.

Hunt