4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2010 6:01 PM by Ben M

help/advice- creating .asp pages on PC not connected to server

jonboy0000 Level 1

I don't know if I'm using the right terminology, but I'm pretty sure we have an ASP server. I created a simple site for the place I work, and now I want to create forms, forum, etc. but it looks like I need "server-side" scripting.

But I'm using 2 computers - My own laptop with DW to create the pages, and then my work computer without dreamweaver, that's locally connected to our server. On the computer at work I can edit pages using wordpad.

So if I can't connect to our server straight from the laptop, how can I set up "server-side" technology?

Don't even know where to begin here - pointing me to any kind of tutorial or info on using ASP would be much appreciated... Walking me through it would be so much better. But anyway, thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: help/advice- creating .asp pages on PC not connected to server
          Ben M Adobe Community Professional

Well there are 2 options.  Depending on your version of Windows you could install IIS on your machine locally for testing.  It may require the original installation media to do this.

The only other option would be to ask your work if you can connect to their server via VPN using your laptop.  This is usually a good option.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: help/advice- creating .asp pages on PC not connected to server
            jonboy0000 Level 1

Thanks, I sent out an email to IT asking about the vpn connection... should get a swift reply within, oh say, 2-3 weeks.

They'd never let me install additional software on these comps, I work in a pretty high security place and they're strict on that kinda thing. But thanks for the reply, both good ideas.

• 3. Re: help/advice- creating .asp pages on PC not connected to server
              jonboy0000 Level 1

Would it be at all possible to create a site using asp without connecting to the server first? Even if it meant I couldn't test/preview the site until they were connected to the server? It just seems like I should be able to create the site and extra scripting files + whatever else is needed locally, and then drop them into the server and, if needed, edit some info in the files to match our server... but maybe I have it all wrong.

I'm thinking IT will deny the vpn connection, because it's my personal laptop rather than one of theirs, and without their software/security/etc.

Thanks for your help + patience, I'm still learning all of this..

• 4. Re: help/advice- creating .asp pages on PC not connected to server
                Ben M Adobe Community Professional

This might sound like a stupid question, but if you are working for the company setting up the site and working remotely that should be a requirement of the job.  If you are an employee and not outsourced work, does the company not own the software they have you using to make the site?

Anyways, as I said, depending on your version of Windows you can run a local test server.  It uses virtually no memory.  The version of IIS though is determined by your version of Windows.  Here is the link to the Windows 7 installation tutorial from the MSDN site ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731911.aspx ).  There are ones for other versions of Windows.  That will allow you to test the ASP.  Otherwise you will can develop but you will have no way to test any programming and dynamic content will not load. Just when you set up the Site in DW, for the Testing Server, choose your server language, but for Access choose "none".