What browser are you using? I have had this problem before and ended up just using a different browser to open the pdf file. So if it was internet explorer that wouldn't work, I would try it in Firefox or vice versa.
Or if I didn't want to bother with that, just go up to file and do a save page as... and save the pdf to your desktop so you can open it with the standalone Adobe Reader.
This problem suddenly appeared yesterday after I had deleted an earlier version (7) of Acrobat. I also had Reader 9.3 installed, but got the message that you described when I tried to open a pdf file on the web. I use Firefox as my browser on a geriatric Dell desktop running XP. Looking elsewhere in the forum, I found someone suggesting that if you install Reader 8.2, that fixes the problem. I removed 9.3, installed 8.2, and it worked fine. I then re-installed 9.3.1, and that works fine as well, so what the original problem was, who knows?
I've compaired two Windows XP machines that have had this issue. One I fixed by simply reinstalling v9.3.3 off the Adobe Site. Once fixed, I compaired the Registry Settings to the one that was still broken. I found that a registry setting was missing in: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat.
All you have to do is right click on Acrobat, select NEW --> KEY, and call it EXE. Select the newly created folder, and in the right pane, right click, select NEW --> STRING VALUE. Double click the newly created string and under the Value Data: copy and paste the following line including the qoutations. "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" Once you are complete, close IE and reopen it and try and open a Adobe Reader File.
If you want the easier method you can also copy and paste the following code into WordPad and just change the file extention to .REG
Then all you have to do is double click the file and it will insert it into the registry automatically. This should work the same in Windows 7 as is does in Windows XP.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Reader 9.0\\Reader\\AcroRd32.exe\""
Hope this helps,
On our own enterprise network that error "Adobe Acrobat/Reader version 8 or 9 is required" reported to me a lot.
What I find is that somehow Adobe Reader or Acrobat was installed over the top of a previous version. I usually have to uninstall all copies of Adobe Reader/Acrobat from the system. If you can't remove them using Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, the Windows Uninstaller Clean-up Tool works great (you can probably get that from a 3rd party software download site as it is not available from Microsoft anymore.
I also delete all files in:
c:\program files\Common Files\Adobe\acrobat\Activex\
I sometimes have to open up a command window with my admin rights, kill all explorer.exe processes (taskkill /f /im explore*), then use command line to delete the file in c:\program files\Common Files\Adobe\acrobat\Activex\ You can then launch the explorer.exe process to get your desktop back or just reboot.
I also delete these registry keys:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers (Look for the Adobe Acrobat key there and delete it)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader (or Acrobat Pro, Distiller, etc.)
remove the repair registry paths:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Repair\ Look for Reader, Acrobat, etc)
delete these if they still exist:
Then I reboot the computer.
I then install the version of Adobe Reader/Acrobat that the system is supposed to have and then I don't get that error again.
Essentially - delete all traces of Adobe Reader/Acrobat from the system and registry. Reboot. Reinstall. If there is a simpler solution to this problem, I have not found it yet.
You can do a complete uninstall of Adobe Reader and reinstall and that also corrects the issue. This would be the solution I would recommend if your having the problem with a handful of computers. However, if your needing to apply a fix across a corporation, I would recommend the .REG key fix I posted above. I've pushed the REG key to 400+ machines and everything is working as it should.
If you are not able to get Adobe Acrobat Reader to open .pdf files in the browser. Even after you check in prefs to show pdf files in the browser.
Make this modification for all versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader that show under this key.
-Note: Deleting the key and all subkeys for any older versions also seems to fix this problem. So if you see this key present,
delete the 7.0 and all subkeys.
-Right click on Originals and choose NEW DWORD Value and name it bBrowserIntegration, hit enter,
double click on the new value and make sure the value is 1