9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2010 4:58 PM by the_wine_snob

AVI files loaded in Premier Elements 7 only show audio and not video.

EGeneBarlow

I am a new user of Premier Elements 7 and am having problems getting the video into a new project I set up. I have 6 AVI v1.0 clips that play both audio and video in Windows 7, but when I set up a project and import them, I only get the audio side and not the video side. I can drag the audio to the timeline and can play the audio just fine. But it is missing the video. I must be doing something wrong, but am new enough that I don't know where to turn.

I have been reading the forums and taking tutorials, so I think I know the steps to import a video into PRE7. I've tried many things, but still no video. I downloaded GSpot and found that my files have video H264 (H.264/MPEG-4 AVC) and audio oxooo2 (ADPCM). The codecs seem to be installed on my Windows 7 computer.

Can someone point me in the right direction on what to do next. I'm a computer professional with 50 years of experience, so am no dummy, but am new to PRE7. Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: AVI files loaded in Premier Elements 7 only show audio and not video.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

There are three popular H.264 CODEC's, Apple's, Lead's and MainConcept's. Many users of Adobe products have had better luck with Lead's, or MainConcept's, than Apple's.

Still, what version of Apple QuickTime Player do you have? Many have needed to update QT Player to get H.264 to install.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: AVI files loaded in Premier Elements 7 only show audio and not video.
            EGeneBarlow Level 1

Hunt,

I have QuickTime 7.6.5 which I downloaded yesterday. So, it should be pretty much up to date. The AVI file came right off the flash card in my Insignia camera. When I load them into PRE7, I only see the audio icons. When I drop these on the timeline, they will only go to the audio tracks. I do not get any icons with pictures on them for the video. From the instructions in PRE7 it appears that when I capture an audio clip in elements, I should see a picture icon and that should contain both the video and audio tracks, which I want to keep together. I'm only seeing the audio.

• 3. Re: AVI files loaded in Premier Elements 7 only show audio and not video.
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Not familiar with the Insignia camera (know the Joseph Phelps Insignia Napa red wine... ), but if G-Spot is telling you that you have the CODEC's installed, then the Audio and Video should come in.

I will say that the 7.6.x versions of QT Player, like the 7.4.x versions, have been real problems for Adobe programs. The last "known good" version of QT Player was 7.5.5. As a test, maybe remove 7.6.5, and install 7.5.5. It is available from several software archives. Neale just posted a link to it in another thread. That one works perfectly for me and many Adobe programs, including PrE and PrPro.

Another test might be to see if Lead, or MainConcept offer a trial of H.264, and give one of those a try.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: AVI files loaded in Premier Elements 7 only show audio and not video.
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As Hunt is indicating, these pocket hi-def camcorders usually do not interface well with Premiere Elements. They use proprietary codecs designed to keep the video files small -- and that can cause most video editors trouble. (Except for the editing software included with the camcorder.)

These cams are made for shooting video and loading it directly to YouTube. They are not a good camcorder for shooting video for production with Premiere Elements or other serious video editor.

• 5. Re: AVI files loaded in Premier Elements 7 only show audio and not video.
                  EGeneBarlow Level 1

The Insignia camcorder is a cheap camera, I will admit. It is not the quality of a camcorder I would like to have. I bought it mostly on price and was amased at the quality of video it puts out. I am sure it has something to do with the low cost of this camera.

• 6. Re: AVI files loaded in Premier Elements 7 only show audio and not video.
                    EGeneBarlow Level 1

Steve's mention of propriary codecs started me thinking. Did the camera come with a special codecs that I had not installed on my new Windows 7 computer. Digging around a bit I found a mini-CD that came with the product. When I loaded it on my computer, one of the options was to install a device driver. I did this and now I can see the video in PRE7. So, I think this solves my problem.

Thanks to all of the great suggestions by all that have offered me suggestions. It appears that I have gotten to the end of my search for a solution.

• 7. Re: AVI files loaded in Premier Elements 7 only show audio and not video.
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      I found a mini-CD that came with the product. When I loaded it on my computer, one of the options was to install a device driver. I did this and now I can see the video in PRE7. So, I think this solves my problem.

I applaud the mfgr. of the Insignia. This is the way that it should be with ALL cameras, that do not use a miniDV tape, or precise CODEC, that is mainstream. All too often, the mfgrs. tweak an existing CODEC, and just leave the customer hanging, trying to find a way to edit the footage. A couple of major mfgrs. come immediately to my mind.

Others, who use CODEC's, like Xvid, that is so heavily compressed, that even converting it to an editable format/CODEC results in such horrible footage, that no one would ever be satisfied with the finished product.

<Soapbox Mode Off>

Glad that you are now up and editing. For my education, what does G-Spot say about the CODEC in the Insignia footage? At least next time that I encounter it, I can say - "look in the box, and install the driver to get the CODEC."

Thanks for reporting,

Hunt

• 8. Re: AVI files loaded in Premier Elements 7 only show audio and not video.
                        EGeneBarlow Level 1

Bill,

I was pleased to find the CD and even more pleased to find that it fixed things. Using GSpot, I found that the video codecs was listed at H264 (H.264/MPEG-4 AVC). This was the same listing I found running GSpot before the driver was installed. (By the way, GSpot is the name of the utility. G-Spot is something a female has.) Thanks for your help.

• 9. Re: AVI files loaded in Premier Elements 7 only show audio and not video.
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting. My shortcut, that loaded with installation has the "-" in it.

Glad that you got it working. The H.264 CODEC has a lot of variations. Three popular ones are Apple's, Lead's and MainConcept's. Users have reported one working better than others with their particular footage. Lead & MainConcept seem to get more "thumbs up," than does Apple's. Also, different mfgrs. tweak things slightly, and those tweaks can cause issues.

Thanks for reporting,

Hunt