11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2010 5:52 PM by the_wine_snob

APE 8.0 Can't select soundtrack or add to soundtrack

dennisbthomas

After inserting a soundtrack (mp3) then changing then reducing the length of the last one added, I can no longer

select the soundtrack or add another soundtrack. The soundtrack plays ok but is greyed (greened) out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dennis

• 1. Re: APE 8.0 Can't select soundtrack or add to soundtrack
          dennisbthomas Level 1

I was able to delete the music from the soundtrack by deleting the mp3 file in the projects list.

BUT it won't allow me to add any files to the soundtrack.

• 2. Re: APE 8.0 Can't select soundtrack or add to soundtrack
            dennisbthomas Level 1

I should have checked out things further before the last post, but even though the soundtrack is clear, the files still play when do a playback. Now I have a project that has phantom music that can't be deleted.

I think I will quit for the evening.

ANY suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Dennis

• 3. Re: APE 8.0 Can't select soundtrack or add to soundtrack
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Right-click on the timeline in an area where there are no clips and select Delete Empty Tracks. This will streamline your timeline. (You could also use the right-side scroll bar to look at uppper video tracks.)

Your audio track may be hidden on an upper track.

• 4. Re: APE 8.0 Can't select soundtrack or add to soundtrack
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I think that the Scroll Bars (not really all that clearly seen) will be the key. The Audio Tracks with the Audio stream is just likely off-screen.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: APE 8.0 Can't select soundtrack or add to soundtrack
                  dennisbthomas Level 1

Thanks Steve,

I did find the mp3 files in upper audio tracks.

I have now deleted all sound files, but the SoundTrack TRACK still won't take any sound files.

I'm able to put sound on all other sound tracks so I'm ok.

It would be nice to have a fix but this isn't show stopper for me now.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

Dennis

• 6. Re: APE 8.0 Can't select soundtrack or add to soundtrack
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Dennis,

Both of the fixed Audio Tracks, Soundtrack and Narration, are just there for convenience. Why Soundtrack is locked is a mystery, but you can easily use ANY empty Audio Track for your music. I would just place your music files on one of those.

As an aside, MP3 is not the best format/CODEC to use. Many can cause issues. I always convert any MP3 source file to PCM/WAV, and Import those. This can be easily done in an audio-editing program, like the great, free Audacity. Just Open the MP3 into it, and Save_As choosing PCM/WAV Uncompressed 48KHz 16-bit. Import that WAV file instead of the Mp3, which is very highly compressed and can contain things like Album Art (one big cause of MP3 failures). This conversion process cannot recover all the data and quality lost with the MP3 compression, but will give you a file that will work perfectly in PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: APE 8.0 Can't select soundtrack or add to soundtrack
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Is there anything on that track at all, dennis?

Are you working, by the way, in timeline mode? I recommend you do.

You do seem to imply that only that track is giving your problems. If so, which track does your audio load to? If it always loads, for instance, to Audio 4, that could be an indication of a mismatch between your audio file and your project settings.

Try zooming into the timeline by pressing the + key. That may unlock it.

• 8. Re: APE 8.0 Can't select soundtrack or add to soundtrack
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Most of this is for PrPro, but I would assume that much will translate directly to PrE, as well.

Audio Tracks are designated by Channel number, i.e. Mono, Stereo and 5.1. Things like Master and adding a 5.1 Audio Track are set with the Project Preset (and the Sequence Default in PrPro).

PrPro will NOT allow one to place a Mono Clip onto a Stereo (2-channel) Audio Track, but will automatically create a Mono Audio Track, if one drags that Mono Clip to the Master. Same for a Stereo (2-channel) Clip. It will NOT go onto a Mono Audio Track. Repeat for a 5.1 Clip - only onto a 5.1 Audio Track.

In PrPro, there are tiny "speaker" icons (one for Mono, and two for Stereo, and a "5.1" for 5.1) in each Audio Track's Header. They are small, and not readily seen, unless one knows where to look. Do not know if PrE 8 has similar to designate the channel number for each Audio Track.

I would anticipate that those rules apply for PrE too.

My question would be how many channels are in these source Clips, that will not allow them to be placed where the OP would like them to be placed? If necessary, the great, free utility, G-SPOT, will give that info.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - there have been reports of either/both the fixed Audio Tracks, Soundtrack and Narration "locking," but my guess would be that something was done in the workflow to cause this, or seem to cause it. In those previous posts, just using another Audio Track has fixed things, and we've just never been able to track down what caused, or seemed to cause, the issue initially.

• 9. Re: APE 8.0 Can't select soundtrack or add to soundtrack
                          dennisbthomas Level 1

Hi Steve,

I'm using timeline mode and there is nothing on the Soundtrack track. I just did a test with the same project and the same problem occurs in trying to use the Narration track. I have another project that is using the same mp3 file and it accepts the mp3 file on either the Soundtrack or Narration track with out problems

There just seems to be a problem that was generated when I put the mp3 file on the Soundtrack and then tried to shorten the end of the file.

I've finished this project, by deleting all unused tracks and then using audio track 1 and 2 for the mp3 music files. I'm going to the next project and will keep an eye on this problem.

Thanks Steve for the feedback and suggestions.

Dennis

• 10. Re: APE 8.0 Can't select soundtrack or add to soundtrack
                            dennisbthomas Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the info about G-spot. I use Mediainfo and this is what is says about the mp3 file:

Audio
                            Format                           : MPEG Audio
                            Format version                   : Version 1
                            Format profile                   : Layer 3
                            Mode                             : Joint stereo
                            Format_Settings_ModeExtension    : MS Stereo
                            Duration                         : 6mn 48s
                            Bit rate mode                    : Constant
                            Bit rate                         : 128 Kbps
                            Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
                            Sampling rate                    : 44.1 KHz
                            Stream size                      : 6.23 MiB (100%)

You are correct that the problem was occured in the workflow. I had two or three mp3 files on the Soundtrack without problems. I then used the audio preview window to reduce the end point of the file. The problem occured right after I closed that window.

Thanks for all of our help and suggestions.

Dennis

• 11. Re: APE 8.0 Can't select soundtrack or add to soundtrack
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Dennis,

The 44.1 Khz Audio should not be a problem, but most Adobe programs can have issues with MPEG Audio.

What happens if you convert the MP3's to PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit Audio?

What happens if you then drag these to another Audio Track, besides either the Soundtrack, or the Narration Track?

Good luck,

Hunt