6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2010 4:06 PM by Claudio González

Use Foreign Language

wmowbray

Well, after 20 years of using PageMaker 6.5 and 7 (also have InDesign 2) I finally have a request for setting up a document in a foreign language.

I remember that the Pgm Templates use to default into Latin so I am assuming this can be done.

My customer uses PageMaker 6.5 so would prefer that version if I can do it.

Have read manual and checked out Help, but can't seem to find anything.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Use Foreign Language
          Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

If I still remember corre

ctly, you had to buy the localised version you needed

; there was no possibility of changing the language of the appli

cation. I also seem to recall that you coul

d contact Adobe and ask for a change fo

r an almost nominal fee, but I very much doubt they will still do it

for a dead product.

I wish you luck.

All extra linefeeds kindly provided by the software.

• 2. Re: Use Foreign Language
            wmowbray Level 1

Thanks Claudio. Yea, I think certain languages need to be installed with app and/or OS etc. and of course, like most, I don't even install them with my OS X machines.

Had never tried it before, but just wondered back in the ole days how the Adobe folks got all their Templates with Latin default text.

Anyway I took a unique approach. Visited a Chinese Restaurant I frequent right down the road. Since it was a small job, the gal wrote the text I needed and I did a OCR scan and popped it in my word processor and placed it into Pgm.

Also checked out Google Translate and it does a very good job with Spanish and a couple other languages, but not so good with Chinese.

Anyway, I got it done and it just goes to prove there is more than one way to skin a cat.

• 3. Re: Use Foreign Language

I was writing a message in reply when I was misteriously and violently taken to this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/487684?tstart=0

and of course I lost all I had written. I will try to reproduce it later. Sorry.

• 4. Re: Use Foreign Language

What I

meant is that I had to buy a separate Spanish version

of PageMaker; it wasn't a matter of changing the OS langu

ge. The same was true of InDesign at lest upt to CS3, the last version I bought.

Are you sure the templates texts were in Latin? I seem to remember they were in "Lorem Ipsum".

As to the quality of Google translations, this:

Anyway I took a unique approach. Visited a Chinese Restaurant I frequent right down the road. Since it was a small job, the gal wrote the text I needed and I did a OCR scan and popped it in my word processor and placed it into Pgm.

Also checked out Google Translate and it does a very good job with Spanish and a couple other languages, but not so good with Chinese.

Anyway, I got it done and it just goes to prove there is more than one way to skin a cat.

was translated to

De todos modos me dio un enfoque único (it gave me a unique approach). Visitó un restaurante chino en lo cierto ("estar en lo cierto" is "to be right") con frecuencia en el camino. Desde ("since" in the sense of "from"/from) que era un trabajo pequeño, la chica escribió el texto que necesitaba y yo hicimos ("hicimos" is the tense associated with the plural "we", not with the singular "yo", I) un análisis de OCR y se lo metió en mi procesador de textos y la colocó en Pgm.

También desprotege (unprotects) Google Translate, y lo hace un muy buen trabajo con el español y un par de otras lenguas, pero no tan bueno con el chino.

De todos modos, tengo que hacer (I have things to do), y apenas va a demostrar que no es más que una forma de la piel de un gato (it will hardly demonstrate that this is nothing but one form of the skin of a cat).

(I have pointed only the most beautiful gems in the translation). And this is what one gets on going back to English:

Anyway, I took a unique approach. He visited a Chinese restaurant right on the road frequently. Since I was a small job, the girl wrote the text I needed and I did an analysis of OCR and put it in my word processor and put in Pgm.

Also check out Google Translate, and does a great job with a couple of Spanish and other languages, but not so good with the Chinese.

Anyway, I do, and just goes to prove that there is only one way to skin a cat.

I would think that no further comments are necessary...

Extra linefeeds at the beginning kindly provided by the software.

• 5. Re: Use Foreign Language
                  BigJohnD Level 3

When you say "Foreign Language", you mean the text of the publication is in a foriegn language?  Which language?

There's not a problem with most Western European languages but PM struggles with Cyrillic characters and you'll need Middle Eastern, Chinese or Japanese version for those languages.  PM can only handle the first 256 glyphs of any font and Western versions can not handle multi-byte fonts.

Personally, I'd forget PM and use InDesign without hestitation.  Make sure the necessary dictionaries are installed, not just for spelling but also hyphenation.

• 6. Re: Use Foreign Language

On reading John's mess

age, I realize I had misunderstood your question. If your version of PageMaker was in any of the so called Western languages, you could of course write without problems in any other Western language, except for the limitants that John mentions. What I was talking about is the fixed text in the application itself. Sorry.

Also, I forgot to mention that I found your way of skinning the "Chinese text" cat brilliant.

Extra linefeed kindly provided by the software.