4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2010 8:42 AM by random robot

Only getting the last layer of text animation

random robot

Hi, complete newb here. I've watch most of the tutorials and looked thru the forum but didn't see anything addressing this. When I export to swf and then try to view the html code I only get the last line of text animation, the 1st line doesn't appear. Any help would be great. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Only getting the last layer of text animation
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I don't realyl understand what you are describing here, but maybe you simply shoulkd change the unsupported feature treatment in the SWF exporter from ignore to rasterize?

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Only getting the last layer of text animation
            random robot Level 1

Sorry, I'll try to be more clear. What I'm doing is taking a photoshop file, opening it up in after effects as a comp and "animating" the different layers. Then I'm adding two different layers of text both  with animation. 1st one fades out, the second fades in. Everything works fine and looks good when I'm inside of AE. Then I'm exporting to .swf under the file tab. I've tried different options when exporting including changing to rasterize and flattening and all option in between. After I export to .swf I'm opening it using Amera which then I'm placing into to Sitebuilder using the a html code provided by Amera. It picks up all the other layers except the one. Just seems odd like maybe I'm missing something on that particular text layer. They both look the same but I only get the second one. I've read in some places that it's better to export differently but I don't know how to do it any other way. Like I said I'm a complete noobie at Adobe. I'm using CS3. Would it be better to open it in Flash? I really need to take the time to learn some Flash. uhggg. Thanks Mylenium for your repsonse.

• 3. Re: Only getting the last layer of text animation
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm still not clear what you are describing here. With AE, it's either one or the other, not both. Any element that requires rasterization will also enforce rasterization of other elements, so you essentially end up with a JPEG sequence wrapped in an SWF. This, by all means should render everything as you see in the comp window. From your description it seems to me that you are trying to retain editable SWF objects for further editing in your other programs and naturally, since this is severely limited, not everything comes across. If you cannot resolve this, pretty much your only option is to render a FLV and play it on your website. If you had CS4, you could also use XFL exchange with special preparation (all elements need to be PNG in the main comp) and then convert it in Flash. Another workflow that realyl gives you the best of both worlds without the excess baggage of Flash Pro would be to use Flash Catalyst. You could open your PSD there, animate it and export a slim and optimized SWF directly. Whatever you do, maybe you could read the help sections on SWF and XFL export again. This might help you to figure out where it is going wrong for you from the AE end.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Only getting the last layer of text animation
                random robot Level 1

Thanks Mylenium, I'll try it as a FLV and skip the Amera. I don't really won't to change anything to what I'm seeing in AE. So I think you've solved my problem.