10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2010 10:30 AM by the_wine_snob

Please, any quick fix? Exporting or using dynamic link - both methods "failed"

Doreen-UK

All day yesterday, all night too (and I was up in the night!) and now this morning - still the same problem regardless of whether I try and export my video, or to load to DVD via the Adobe Dynamic Link = "Failed".  Some information which might help someone to (please) help me!

Windows 7

Premiere Pro CS4

16:9 aspect ratio

1920 x 1080i HD camcorder (Sony)

PAL (based in UK)

A couple of days ago I got a lot of help from Harm after having saved my original footage using the wrong sequence preset.  "We" corrected that and now I am desperately trying to get the completed project off the computer to run on a large TV screen - it should be up and running today (ouch!).

I have tried to send it to Encore via the Dynamic Link and after five hours running time (18 mins video) the system stalled 1/8th of the way through transcording and 3/8th through the bottom bar (which I assume might be writing?).  Since, I have tried to Export and save as Quick Time Movie (although I did want it to run through a standard DVD player) and it came back with an AME encoding error "error compiling movie, unknown error".

I'm really up against it and if anyone has suggestions for me, I'd really appreciate them.

With thanks.

Doreen.

• 1. Re: Please, any quick fix? Exporting or using dynamic link - both methods "failed"
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Doreen,

Back again.

It may seem like a strange and time-consuming way, but I find the following approach works best for HD material that needs to get burned on DVD:

http://www.precomposed.com/blog/2009/07/hd-to-sd-dvd-best-methods/

I find the results very good. Sure it is not as easy as the dynamic linking, but once you got the hang of this workflow, it is pretty easy and gives excellent results.

Hope this helps.

• 2. Re: Please, any quick fix? Exporting or using dynamic link - both methods "failed"
            Doreen-UK Level 1

Yes - just like the bad penny, I keep on turning up!  Thanks for the link - I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards,

Doreen.

• 3. Re: Please, any quick fix? Exporting or using dynamic link - both methods "failed"
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Doreen,

I hope that the workflow that Harm has linked to will help you.

In the meantime, think about some system items, and let us know about these, should you still get a failure:

1.) Size of HDD's

2.) Number of HDD's

3.) Speed of HDD's

4.) Format of HDD's (NTSF, or FAT-32)

5.) Controller type for your HDD's

6.) How HDD's are allocated

Any/all of the above can play a role in Export failures. Might not have any bearing on your particular case, but if you still get failures, they would be worth exploring.

Most of all, GOOD LUCK!

Hunt

• 4. Re: Please, any quick fix? Exporting or using dynamic link - both methods "failed"
                Doreen-UK Level 1

Wow, that's a lot of information which I never even considered!  I'll gather what I can and get back to you, thank you Hunt.  Also thanks to Harm - I took a look at the link you sent and went out and bought some new shoes to console myself !!  I might have bitten off more than I can chew with this program (Premiere Pro) but I will take another look and see if I can cope.  I'm away for 3 days so I'll come back refreshed and ready to tackle the job again, although somewhat disappointed that I missed the chance to get it on the big screen today.  Oh well, thanks for all your help - I'll be back ...

Regards,

Doreen.

• 5. Re: Please, any quick fix? Exporting or using dynamic link - both methods "failed"
                  Doreen-UK Level 1

Premiere Pro software is on my hard drive of the laptop (320GB HDD) and the files I'm working with are on a standalone hard drive (1 TB, linked with eSATA connection) - now I'm wondering if I would be better placed to drag the files and the project over onto the same hard drive as the program and whether this would "fix" my problem of exporting.  Any thoughts on whether that's worth a try please?

(Incidentally, you would all be right in thinking I'm very inexperienced with video work, I moved over to CS4 from Premiere Elements thinking the program would make me really good!)

• 6. Re: Please, any quick fix? Exporting or using dynamic link - both methods "failed"
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Doreen,

Not sure if Moving to the internal will help. Remember that your PRPROJ file will show the links to the external, so you will need to help PrPro find them in the new location.

Personally, I use FW-800 externals to migrate Projects between computers, and do many of my Encore Projects from/to these. I locate the Encore Projects within the Project's root folder for easy housekeeping. So far, no issues.

HOWEVER, I am not using ADL (Adobe Dynamic Link), especially as I have PrPro 2.0 and EncoreDVD 2.0. I am also NOT doing anything HD, so my experiences are of little direct use to you.

Also, in another thread, a user was having issues with even eSATA externals and PrPro CS4. He/she had done this with PrPro 2.0 and not had any problems. In that case, it was the constant and repeated Conforming of Audio.

Good luck, and wish that I had some useful tips for you.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Please, any quick fix? Exporting or using dynamic link - both methods "failed"
                      Doreen-UK Level 1

Sorry Harm, I did try and follow your link, but I just plain was over-faced by it.  I am a real beginner in this area and to be honest, bought CS4 thinking it would be the answer to my prayers for the exporting capability.  Oh well, another lesson learnt.

• 8. Re: Please, any quick fix? Exporting or using dynamic link - both methods "failed"
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Doreen,

You being based in the UK, you probably play a game of bridge sometimes. When you start learning the game, you start with the basics of the Acol system, but as you progress, you add different tools to your bidding arsenal, like Stayman-Jacobi, 2 diamond multi-colored, cue bids, Lightner, etc.

The same with a pro tool like PR. you first learn the basics, using simple things like dynamic linking, then you progress to more advanced techniques that I showed you in the blog link. Don't feel intimidated, it is only a learning curve you need to get through.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Please, any quick fix? Exporting or using dynamic link - both methods "failed"
                          Doreen-UK Level 1

Just for completeness, I thought I'd bring you up-to-date with this project.  I started again; made absolutely sure that I had the correct project settings in place and then imported everything afresh, checking the project 3-4 times along the way to be sure that the dynamic linkwould work (rather than waiting until I got to the end of my project - not to say my patience!).  I think I originally mixed HD and SD and whilst I know the system can handle it, clearly I could not.  So I cut out the SD element.  Also, working on a laptop with attached hard drive, I also altered the power settings for it to stay on continuously, without a screen saver too.  (I know mostly folks will be working on standard PCs but there might be another odd bod like me in this situation and needs the fix!)

So, the dynamic link worked for me.  Thanks to you all who have come back with suggestions.

Regards,

Doreen.

• 10. Re: Please, any quick fix? Exporting or using dynamic link - both methods "failed"
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Doreen,

Great news.

Laptops can present a few special problems, with power management. I do a lot of editing on mine, and ALL power management is OFF, as are all screen-savers, etc. I always run from AC mains power, so battery life is not an issue.

Even though my laptop has 3x internal HDD's, I too edit to/from externals HDD's, and use FW-800's (so I can migrate Projects between the laptop and the workstation). I keep my Zalman cooling pad at max, to help with any heat build-up.

Glad that ADL is working for you and that the Project is progressing.

Good luck,

Hunt