I’m updating a Shockwave project that is also available
for download (so size matters and I’ve got a dcr and exe of
the same project). Last year the file sizes were as follows: dir =
933kb, dcr = 203kb, exe = 4,857kb … all reasonable. I started
with last year’s file, eliminated numerous redundant scripts
and cast members (including an unused font), combined the
functionality of scripts that were similar, streamlined the
operation of other scripts, updated some internal data, replaced
the one and only bmp with a new one for this year (same size),
saved and compacted … and for all my effort to clean up this
year’s version I get the following: dir = 33.9Mb, dcr =
224kb, exe = 37.5Mb The xtras are an obvious suspect but I went
down the list and they’re the same as last year, the only
outside xtra being POM (which hasn’t changed since 2006) I
recompiled last year’s project and the sizes were still
reasonable, so Director isn’t broke. Anyone know what's up?
PS: I made a dummy copy of this year's movie, elminated
everything (all sprites, all cast members, all xtras), save and
compact, and the dir file is still 33Mb?!?!?
PPS: Well, I copied everything into a fresh document, spent
about an hour making sure scripts not attached to sprites didn't
get left behind, re-attached the required xtras, and now I'm back
down to a 4.4Mb projector but I'm not sure why.
Go to File, Save and Compact. That should bring it down to a
size. What happens is when you use the normal save procedure,
it is a
"quick save" which does not actually remove anything that you
and adds in anything new that you added. So file sizes will
When you either change the name of the file (file, save as)
or if you
save and compact, then it will remove all that cruft and
leave you with
a smaller file. But it takes a little longer. I get in the
using Save and Compact about once a day.
Thanks Mike. The odd thing is the results above were after a
“save and compact” (as a matter of habit I always
compact). Even with everything stripped out of the file I
couldn’t get Director to jettison whatever garbage had gotten
lodged in. On the plus side, moving the cast and score to a fresh
document not only cured the problem but also allowed me to
eliminate some legacy xtras that were no longer being used (this
project has been updated yearly since 2002).
PS: Flash's memory and file size audit report is really nice
for trouble shooting this kind of problem, it would be nice if
Director gets the same feature.