4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2010 9:15 AM by Jacob Bugge

Text Gradient

Signature123

Hi there

I am trying to achieve the below illustration so that i can cut out and use for sticker but and do not know the font so i just done a trace and cut the lettering "pilot" out like further below. (black background just for illustration purpose.) i am now having difficulty inputting the gradient. Any suggestions how i go about this ???

Untitled2.png

Untitled.png

• 1. Re: Text Gradient
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Signature,

Apart from possible copyright issues, and the not overly clean tracing (you might consider using the Pen Tool instead), something that has been Live Traced has to be expanded before you can work with it (this is pure hearsay as I have never tried it).

You should then be able to Select/DirectSelect the relevant parts and apply the gradient.

• 2. Re: Text Gradient
            Signature123 Level 1

I have expanded the live traced etc and cleaned it up using direct selection tool however when trying to apply gradient it

applies it to only the white outline and not the inner text. any ideas how to

do this or do you even know what font this is ?

• 3. Re: Text Gradient
              shunithD Level 3

Jacob Bugge wrote:

Signature,

<snipped>...something that has been Live Traced has to be expanded before you can work with it (this is pure hearsay as I have never tried it).

Absolutely correct Jacob... a Live Trace has to be Expanded before you can use it...

• 4. Re: Text Gradient
                Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Signature,

I believe, if you:

1) Create a copy of the lettering between the white lettering and the background (which I assume is a filled rectangle);

2) Select both lettering copy and background and Pathfinder>Minus Front (Subtract from shape area in older versions);

You should be able to DirectSelect the portions inside the white lettering and apply the gradient.

You may have a look for the font on this site:

http://new.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/