4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2010 3:32 AM by Peter Grainge

RH8: How content lifecycle works?

mvi-2

Hi,

I need some help understanding, how content lifecycle works in RoboHelp. I need to have following features:

- content can be created by different users.

- content needs to be confirmed by content manager.

- users needs to see whether published content is aproved or is it only "beta" version. And users could switch to confirmed version if they need.

- manager needs to monitor user' scontribution to knowledge base, so perfect case could be a list of users and topics they posted, etc.

Thanks in advance for sharing information.

• 1. Re: RH8: How content lifecycle works?
          RoboColum(n) Level 5

If content is being created by different users at the same time on the same RoboHelp projects you have three options:

1. Use a source control application to prevent two users making changes to the same files at the same time.
          2. Split the content into separate RoboHelp projects so that each user can make updates without affecting the work of others. However even this approach would be best to use a source control solution.
          3. Have UserA use a local copy of a project in which to make their changes which can be later imported into the other project that UserB uses. This is prone to lots of headaches and problems and not best practice.

As for confirmation by the content manager, you can apply a topic status which will flag whether the topic has been reviewed. However it is down to the users to set this status. It does show up in various reports though. You'd have to have your own process for outputting the project for review (e.g. creating a PDF). You could look at an online review process (e.g. Adobe Acorbat.Com) to handle online commenting.

As for the actual users viewing the content, you could have two output directories for beta and live and publish to each. Again this is a manual process.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
          • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter
          • 2. Re: RH8: How content lifecycle works?
            mvi-2 Level 1

Thanks for a response.

I feel like I lack understanding of RoboHelp architecture.

Currently, how I use it in my test server, is RoboHelp console installed on server and I work on a project. I assume, that any other user works with very same RoboHelp console. So I'm confused how I can control user access or track user contribution.

My project is saved so far on very same server and I have no versioning control installed so far. Every single time I add some content into my RoboHelp, I generate my primary layout and save html files in some folder which is accessible to webserver, so I can use web-browser and browse latest saved content.

Please, bring me on a right track if I do against what RoboHelp is designed for

• 3. Re: RH8: How content lifecycle works?
              RoboColum(n) Level 5

Whilst (I think) it is possible to install RoboHelp on a server under your licence agreement as long as two people don't try using it at the same time, it is far from good practice. RoboHelp should be installed locally on each end user's PC.

As for the projects, they can be backed up to a network but never, ever opened or worked on over a server or network drive unless you want lots of unexplained horrible smelly stuff permiating throughout its entrails.

If you are using source control, for example the inbuilt RoboSourceControl application inside RoboHelp, the source files are located in a shared database. Each user checks out a project to their local drive which sets a flag in the database thereby preventing any other user from using it. When the changes have been made, they are checked in back to the database where it becomes available to use by users. Source control can also be used to track changes made as when you checkin you can provide comments. For reviewing, I'd check in prior to and after each review.

As for versioning, this relates to the output not the source. You can output to different locations depending on whether the output is in test or production.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
              • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter
              • 4. Re: RH8: How content lifecycle works?
                Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

I am not sure the licence does permit installation on a server but probably the server OS system will be more relevant. RH is designed to work on desktop operating systems and would not be supported otherwise.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge