3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2007 7:27 AM by SymTsb

Flash "flicker" issue

D3 Level 1

I have a web page that is set up almost exactly like the www.adobe.com home page. They each have a top navigation bar with drop down menus and directly underneath the navigation there is a SWF animation. On my web page the SWF file interupts the drop down menu but only when the SWF is animating. I noticed that the adobe site's nav and SWF work fine. Can anyone help me figure out how to solve this like Adobe did?

Thanks.
        • 1. Flash "flicker" issue
          SymTsb Level 2
          Adobe's navigation is done via CSS and DHTML practices not with Flash animation and therefore is no actual movie clip animation associated with. Whenever you put in an animation, via tween or any other method or even using the Tween class in AS, you are going to experience an interruption to that animation when rolling over the content of the menu. The best practice if you want to mimic adobe's navigation would to build the menu dynamically and display dynamically or create a menu mc in Flash that contains all of the content for each menu and use simple gotoAndStop calls to control the display of the submenus. I'd prefer the AS method but both methods have their own set of issues.
          • 2. Re: Flash "flicker" issue
            D3 Level 1
            Thanks SymTsb,

I took another look at the code on the adobe home page. The top navigation is pretty basic HTML coding and there is a SWF directly below the nav ( http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/swf/homepage/fma_shell/FMA.swf). This is the only site I've seen that the SWF doesn't disrupt the drop down menu when the menu is in its open state.

Has anyone else run into this problem or can anyone offer some additional suggestions?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Flash "flicker" issue
              SymTsb Level 2
              It's an issue of z-index I'm sure. If you hard code the z-index of both the open submenus and the Flash video, this should not be a problem.