5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2010 1:02 PM by Jacob Bugge

placing images on a path

whytefly Level 1

i have multiple images i want to place on a cruved path. how can i go about doing this?

cheers,

• 1. Re: placing images on a path
          Junk Mailer Level 3

I would draw the path and then turn on Smart Guides (CMD+U) to snap a particular point on the images along the path. See my attached screenshot. I did this with rectangles, but you could also use placed images. Then just delete the curved line when you are done using it for placement.

-JMScreen shot 2010-03-23 at 12.11.27 PM.png

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: placing images on a path
            Junk Mailer Level 3

...or you could use InDesign. It allows you to insert images into a line of text, even text typed onto a path. See my screenshot:

Screen shot 2010-03-23 at 12.21.54 PM.png

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: placing images on a path
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Whytefly,

If you want a regular distribution along the path, you may:

1) Create a Scatter Brush from a rectangle of the same size, setting the distance as desired, and having the orientation aligned to Page or to Path (to follow the path);

2) Apply the Scatter Brush to the path and adjust;

3) Object>Expand the brushed path to have the rectangles selectable;

4) Place each image and Align>Align Objects vertically and horizontally centred;

5) If aligned to Path, turn to fit the angle;

6) DirectSelect and Remove the rectangles.

• 4. Re: placing images on a path
                Junk Mailer Level 3

1) Create a Scatter Brush from a rectangle of the same size, setting the

distance as desired, and having the orientation aligned to Page or to Path

(to follow the path);

I thought about doing it this way, but I was worried about distortion

(stretching). Would this cause any distortion in the images?

• 5. Re: placing images on a path
                  Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

JM,

As far as I know there should be no distortion possible apart from small unavoidable inaccuracy when rotating, the basic concept being a scattered pattern, and I have not seen any when used.