10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2010 2:38 PM by the_wine_snob

BURNING ADDITIONAL DVDs

SanAntonio Kid Level 1

I have coded 14 slide shows and burned individual DVDs which run successfully on ordinary DVD players.  I now want to make more copies in 2 ways:

1) Burn additional DVDs of each with one per DVD.  Must I recode them again and burn?  Grrrr, if so.

2) "Bundle" several of the shows onto 1 DVD.  How do I do that?  The Adobe documentation doesn't give a clue.

Thanks for any ideas.

SanAntonio Kid

• 1. Re: BURNING ADDITIONAL DVDs
          the_wine_snob Level 9

SA Kid,

For the first, if you did not Burn to Folder, you have two choices:

1.) Burn to Disc, with the necessary Transcoding

2.) Use a program, like the great free ImgBurn, to Copy your DVD's. This will take some time, if you only have one burner, as the VIDEO_TS will need to be written to your HDD once, and then will be used to Burn all necessary copies. Roxio & Nero both have a DVD copy feature, but I like ImgBurn, as nothing about it gets in the way of any Adobe program.

For the second, you will do best to step back to your Projects, before you Burn to DVD. Export/Share the Timeline as DV-AVI w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio. Then, Import each of these into a new Project, setup as NTSC (or PAL) DV. Edit, as is necessary, and then Burn to DVD from there.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: BURNING ADDITIONAL DVDs
            SanAntonio Kid Level 1

Bill, many thanks for your prompt answer.  I will try your suggestions.  But first some more background.  I am by no means a pro.  I purchased Elements and PE to assist me in digitizing a 60 year collection of 35 mm slides.  PE is the only program I could find that would do that and allow me to do that and add a music background and code and burn to play on conventional DVD players.  With gnashing of teeth, I finally finished a "show" of my wife's family with photos going back to the 1880s.  Some 250 images with music.  Took 8-1/2 hrs to code and burn the 1st DVD, but I set up to burn 15 more in succession.  That worked ok.  I mailed the DVDs to the family and they were thrilled to get them.

Now this current project is recording my 40 some years in Boy Scouts.  I decided to divide it up into 14 separate projects (total 1,100 images) using Elements to add music and then I exported it to PE-8.  I burned them one at a time thinking I could later combine projects onto a total of 3 DVDs.  I am frustrated and angry that PE won't do that.  I naively thought that I select the ones I wanted to put on a DVD, just like with Roxio Creator.

But I  guess not.  Bill, further tips you could give me would be greatly appreciated.  If you are a professional in this business, I could even consider paying you for your time.  Am I desparate or what?

Sincerely, San Antonio Kid (aks Stephen Kale)

• 3. Re: BURNING ADDITIONAL DVDs
              nealeh Level 5

I'm confused by your reference to 'Elements' and 'PE' but I'm assuming that by 'Elements' you mean Photoshop Elements and by 'PE' Premiere Elements (I will refer to this as PRE).

It sounds as though you are expecting around four or five of your projects to fit on a single DVD and PRE can do this for you.

Some considerations you must make will relate to quality. If your first four projects are an hour each and you want to fit them all onto one single layer DVD then quality is likely to be cr*p. As a guideline two hours for a single layer DVD and four hours for a dual layer are (my opinion, not fact) about the top limits to balance duration and quality.

The simplest method is to follow Bill's suggestion and export each project to a DV-AVI file, create a new project and import those files to the timeline of the new project. At the end of each clip add a 'Main Menu' marker. This ensures that each of your clips shows on the opening menu screen as a selectable 'episode' which is what I think you are looking for.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: BURNING ADDITIONAL DVDs
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Stephen,

Yes, I am a professional and usually work in PrPro. I am working on a similar Project for a client, that begins in the 1860's and goes up until very current times. Though it focuses on on member of the family, the full "tree" is used to set the stage. Right now, we've got over 2000 scanned still images, over 100 3-D animations and motion Assets from Mac-based animators, over 100 separate Video Clips, and maybe 300 Titles. Every still image is separately animated and is over an abstract background to compensate for vertical and square images. The entire Project is scored, and there will be minimal narration. This is done to produce an 8-DVD set, that will be distributed to about 25 surviving family members.

In PrPro, I can work with Sequences (think of these as mini-Projects within a larger Project), and there are 19 at this moment.

Were I working in PrE, I would just have 19 Projects, and would Export/Share each of these to a "Master Project," for assembly and final output. Even with PrPro, I still have a similar step, as I use a separate authoring program, Adobe Encore, to do my output to DVD-Video. There, I assemble the DV-AVI files from my Sequences (the number changes, per the individual DVD that I am working on), add my Menus by hand, and establish the links to the Encore Timelines. PrE does this for you in a semi-automatic way. You would Export/Share as DV-AVI's then Import into that Master Project - I Export to DV-AVI and then Import these as a Timeline in Encore. Same number of steps, though I am using two different programs, while you are using to separate Projects in the same program. The biggest difference is that you only need to pick a Menu Set, set your DVD Markers, and push one button. I have to do the "assembly" by hand and manually link everything together for my navigation. Much more hand-work, but with the benefit of much more power and greater control. However, I am doing 3-D animations that launch, when one chooses a Button, to seamlessly start that Button's Timeline. As I said, a whole lot more work.

I think that you have everything that you need to do your Boy Scout Project. It's probably all sitting in front of you, and you are but a few steps away from getting the job done.

Let's start a new thread, so that others will be able to find and follow along with the assembly of your Projects into a Master. If you could do a little list of the Projects that you have already, and how you would like to assemble them into that Master, I'll be glad to step you though every phase of this Project. To me, the editing is the "fun part," and I'd love to make it so for you. The "work" will just be the Export/Share of those intermediate Projects. That will take some time, but it would for me too. Personally, I find that a good time to jump on my laptop, and hang out here - while the workstation is crunching the Export.

Once we get you started, It should be the same for you. Let's get you though Lesson 1, with that new post and an outline of the Project, and while you're doing the Export/Share, we'll move on to Lesson 2. Piece-o-cake!

When time comes to establish your navigation, we'll likely want a bit of input from others (they are more than welcome at every step, BTW), as I do not use PrE for my authoring, and there are major differences between the authoring function in PrE and Adobe Encore. I'll need some "lessons" here too. Once we have that part behind us, I'll step you though getting ready to Burn multiple DVD-Videos as efficiently as is possible.

In that new post, please give me a rundown of your system. Things like the number of physical burners, and even your available HDD space can determine which path we take. It can be very easy, but I do not want to make suggestions that do not play with your system.

I do not think that you will need my assistance, beyond this forum. If you decide otherwise, I'll be your "safety net." Note: I do not have PrE 8, so I could not open your Project files. Though PrPro can open most PrE Project files, my version, PrPro 2.0, cannot open PrE 8 files - I've already tried this. This would mean that you'd still have to do the Export/Share to DV-AVI and then ship those large files to me on an external HDD, for me to do the final edit. You will still be doing the majority of the "heavy lifting," and the next few steps would be so easy for you.

If you need to get input as to what would be beneficial in that next post, do not hesitate to PM (Personal Message) me through the PM tab in your Profile. I'll get you a list of details. I'd also like to keep the real lessons in the forum for two reasons: remember that authoring in PrE is not my strong suit, and those lessons are likely to help others with similar Projects in the future. If we did it all via PM and e-mail, then others will not benefit, and when we get to authoring in PrE, I will still need to post for help in this forum, so I can get you through that phase.

Good luck, and I'll be looking for that new post,

Hunt

• 5. Re: BURNING ADDITIONAL DVDs
                  SanAntonio Kid Level 1

Bill, many thanks!  I have followed your advice to burn my 14- "subprojects" to AVIs and that worked great although obviously took some time.  I then experimented and imported 3 AVIs back into PRE that will form one of my "master" projects.  Worked also and put them in the order I wanted.  Why PRE 8 won't do that with the "prel" files seems to me a real short coming.  Anyway thanks for that tip.  I have downloaded IMGBURN easily which I plan to use to burn my production DVDs (about 30 for each of my 3 "master" projects).

New question: For each of the "sub" projects in a "master project", I want to insert menu buttons so that my audiences can jump right to a "subproject"..  Do I want to insert "Main menu markers" or "Scene markers"?

By the way I see that many, many people have problems with Pre 8 stability and other operational issues.  I originally had trouble installing it, and Adobe finally told me I would have to shut off my graphics accelerator.  I did that and it installed ok.  Having it off is only a minor inconvenience (to quote a chubby former politician).  But does that "fix" sound logical?  I am operating an HP desktop pavilion 753n, Windows XP Pro, 2.53 GHz, Intel Pentium 4, 1GB memory, 144 GB HD.

BUT I am having no operating problems with either Elements 8 or PRE 8.

Thanks again for all your help.  The SanAntonio Kid.

• 6. Re: BURNING ADDITIONAL DVDs
                    nealeh Level 5

You should Main Menu markers create an entry on the startup screen. Note though that the PRE templates impose a maximum number of buttons available for that feature.

This number varies from template to template so you should experiment. The quickest way to do this is to set your main menu markers and then go through the templates dragging them to the Disc Layout workspace. If the template has enough buttons all will show. Otherwise you will see multiple main menus.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: BURNING ADDITIONAL DVDs
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I see that Neale answered your navigational question. I'm glad, as I use another authoring program, and everything is done by hand. I really do not know the authoring side of PrE very well at all.

As far as the Hardware Acceleration, turning that up, or down, has helped many. It appears that much will depend on the exact video card and driver, and how well they all work with the OS and the program. That is why I usually write: if set to min, try on max and test. If max, set to min and test. If one helps, then increment, until it exhibits a problem and then step up/down one increment. Because of the variables, there is no pat answer, but adjusting Hardware Acceleration can be very beneficial.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: BURNING ADDITIONAL DVDs
                        SanAntonio Kid Level 1

Thanks!

• 10. Re: BURNING ADDITIONAL DVDs
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Most welcome and a Happy Easter and Passover to you and yours.

Hunt