13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2010 5:35 PM by musanim

Can somebody help me verify this bug?

musanim Level 1

When I use very wide static images in Premiere Pro (version 4.2.1), it crashes.  I've been trying to get Adobe to help me with this, but for the last month and a half, they've given me one time-consuming run-around after another.  I'm thinking that if a few other people confirmed that the problem is real (and not due to a corrupted installation or something else that's strange about my setup), they might take it more seriously.  If you'd like to help, please do this:

1. Download this http://www.musanim.com/xfer/premierebug/premierebug.zip and un-ZIP it.  It contains a Premiere Pro project file and a PICT file with a wide image.

2. Open the project in Premiere Pro 4.2.1.

3. Confirm that there's an error message when the project loads.

4. Click the play button; confirm that Premiere Pro crashes.

5. Report your results in this discussion thread.

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Stephen Malinowski

Music Animation Machine

www.musanim.com/all

• 1. Re: Can somebody help me verify this bug?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

When you say "very wide," what is the width in pixels? PrPro has a limit of 4096 pixels in the largest dimension.

Also, it takes a stout machine to keep from freezing, or crashing, when one has many such images.

What are the specs. of your computer?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Can somebody help me verify this bug?
            musanim Level 1

"PrPro has a limit of 4096 pixels in the largest dimension."

It may be that Adobe says there's such a limit (if so, can you provide a reference? I haven't seen it documented), but if there is, it's not a limit that always prevents an image from being used (or results in an error message). For example, a couple of days ago I did a project with an image that was 10965x303, and it worked fine. The one that's in the project in the ZIP file is 21283x196.

Did you try opening the project on your computer?

• 3. Re: Can somebody help me verify this bug?
              shooternz Level 6

Sounds like a job for AEFX!

Frame sizes for stills can not exceed 16 megapixels - documented in the Help file.

• 4. Re: Can somebody help me verify this bug?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Import still images

You can import still images with frame sizes up to 4096x4096 pixels, individually or in groups. The size and aspect ratio of imported still images are affected by the same factors that affect other imported assets, for example, whether they use square pixels.

From the CS4 Help file.

As I do not have CS4, I did not download your test image.

AfterEffects is the program that you will want to use for these images.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Can somebody help me verify this bug?
                  musanim Level 1

@shooternz: "Frame sizes for stills can not exceed 16 megapixels."

Okay, but the image it's failing on is less than 5 megapixels (21283 x 196 = 4171468).

• 6. Re: Can somebody help me verify this bug?
                    musanim Level 1

@Bill Hunt "AfterEffects is the program that you will want to use for these images."

Unfortunately, I can't do what I need to do in AfterEffects.  I need to scroll the wide image, and the timing of the scrolling has to be synchronized to video that I'm assembling in Premiere.

• 7. Re: Can somebody help me verify this bug?
                      musanim Level 1

Please, don't offer me any more advice.  If you want to help me, please confirm the behavior I'm seeing.

• 8. Re: Can somebody help me verify this bug?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

You got it dude. Just trying to help you here, but you seem to be beyond that. First, you ask me to verify what I told you about the pixel dimensions, as you thought that it did not exist. You got a direct quote from Adobe, and Craig's pointer for the same info. If that's not good enough for you - good luck.

I've got many more important things to do.

Hunt

BTW - I have worked around that limitation on several extremely long pans, and the workflow was easy and the results excellent.

• 9. Re: Can somebody help me verify this bug?
                          musanim Level 1

Bill, my "no more advice" wasn't directed at you, but at others who might read the post and be tempted to offer advice.  I know that Adobe says "up to 4096x4096" but when I import an image with a dimension larger than 4096, Premiere Pro  doesn't say "sorry, too large" and refuse to import it, and I know that it works fine with 10965x303, so the limit isn't "4096 in any dimension" ... it's something else.    What I want is (a) to know what the real limit is (so that I can work around it), and (b) for Adobe to take notice of this limitation and do something about it (or at least acknowledge it --- and not just tell me to re-install the operating system again).  The pan I'm doing is really easy to do in Premiere (where I have all the audio and video cues that the pan aligns with --- hundreds of points) and a pain to do in AfterEffects.

• 10. Re: Can somebody help me verify this bug?
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Likely the resolution limit is the number of pixels, not the sheer dimensions. So 10,000 x 400 is still less pixels than 4000 x 4000 and may not cause problems. I'm just guessing here.

• 11. Re: Can somebody help me verify this bug?
                              Huntrex Level 2

You are right. I downloaded and opened your project, and Premiere CS4 immediately crashed. I also tried to open this image in Photoshop CS4 and got the message: "Could not complete your request because the PICT is too complex to open on this computer. Photoshop Windows supports raster PICT files only."

I then created a new blank Photoshop document using the same dimensions as your image. After importing this blank .PSD file, Premiere crashed exactly like it did with your image. The error message read: "Premiere Pro has encountered an error.  [..\..\Src\RenderFrameRequest.cpp-422]".

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Can somebody help me verify this bug?
                                musanim Level 1

@Harm Millaard: "Likely the resolution limit is the number of pixels, not the sheer  dimensions. So 10,000 x 400 is still less pixels than 4000 x 4000 and  may not cause problems. I'm just guessing here."

As I told @shooternz, the image it's failing on is less than 16  megapixels (21283 x 196 = 4171468).

• 13. Re: Can somebody help me verify this bug?
                                  musanim Level 1

Thanks, Huntrex!  Yes, that is exactly the error message I've been telling Adobe about.  I hope I can get them to try loading my project ...