12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2010 11:17 AM by Joel Glovier

Pen tool that behaves more like in Illustrator

Joel Glovier Level 1

I'd like the pen tool to behave more like in Illustrator - mainly where you can click on

points to make them lose half of a handle, rather than having to go get the convert tool and click on the point.

• 1. Re: Pen tool that behaves more like in Illustrator
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

I’m against it.

I find Illustrator’s behaviour on Path-closing or re-activating endpoints (having to drag or losing that handle) highly inconvenient and prefer Photoshop’s way.

• 2. Re: Pen tool that behaves more like in Illustrator
            Joel Glovier Level 1

Well I know its all a matter of opinion, but in my opinion the pen tool in PS is the cumbersome one. If you're making any complex paths, such

as tracing a silhoutte of an image, Illustrator's pen tool allows you to either a) click on a point to changed the angle of the path, or b) quickly select the convert tool with Shift+C.

Photoshop, however, allows you neither. In Photoshop you can't click in mid path to change the angle, and because the convert tool is under the same flyout as the Pen tool, there is no keyboard shortcut to get to it quickly (maybe that can be changed, but I haven't found out how). So for me, creating intricate shapes in Photoshop feels a lot more cumbersome than in Illustrator. I have to create the path as best as I can with the Pen tool first, then go back afterward and select the convert tool with my mouse, then go back into my path and find all the points where I wanted a handle to change direction.

I don't think just doing my selections in Illustrator is a solution, either, because most of the selections I'm making in Photoshop are for isolating something out of an image, so I want the functionality built right into Ps.

• 3. Re: Pen tool that behaves more like in Illustrator
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 9
              convert tool is under the same flyout as the Pen tool

With the Pen Tool selected pressing the alt-key changes to the Convert Point Tool temporarily – is that any help?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Pen tool that behaves more like in Illustrator
                Joel Glovier Level 1

Yeah -  actually that's a HUGE help. Thanks!

(still would love to see the changes, more so for consistency in the workflow)

• 5. Re: Pen tool that behaves more like in Illustrator
                  c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Consistency across the Suite does seem to be a big concern for Adobe – but (apart from our differing preferences on this point) I wonder if they really want to annoy the users of either one application, some of whom have decades of experience/habits and might get quite annoyed if it were their preferred program that got changed.

• 6. Re: Pen tool that behaves more like in Illustrator
                    Joel Glovier Level 1

Hmmm....not getting the convert tool when I hit alt with the Pen tool selected. Nothing happens actually. Although when I hit Ctrl I get the direct

selection tool.

• 7. Re: Pen tool that behaves more like in Illustrator
                      Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

In Photoshop you never have to actually choose the Convert Point  tool at all, its best reached with these shortcuts.

• When using the Pen, the Alt key will change to the Convert Point tool, as C.Pfaffer… has said. Needs to be over the endpoints, or path points.

• When using the Pen, the command (cntrl) key , will bring up the Direct Selection tool. These two shortcuts mean that with a single tool you can make and reshape paths in any way, no switching tools necessary. A much better, and quicker to use system, than Illustrators more cumbersome system in my opinion.

• With the Direct Selection Tool  (A key), Option > Command (cntrl)  at the same time will also bring up the Convert Point tool. This means that the reshaping existing paths is also easier in Photoshop.

For people who are so  ingrained into Illustrator's way of doing these things, I think it would be possible to have a Preference to use "Illustrators Pen Tool" - this is a valid Feature Request and this has been suggested before.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Pen tool that behaves more like in Illustrator
                        Joel Glovier Level 1

OK, it took me a while, but I finally figured out (by reading through the Photoshop Help) that when you guys say click Alt while using the Pen tool, you actually have to be dragging out a handle and hold down Alt. I thought you meant just while drawing a path. But that IS very helpful.

I think I could really get used to this, and perhaps it doesn't need to change like illustrator where you can click on a point to convert (although I still think that would be helpful).

I also still think you should be able to actually switch to another tool easier within the Pen tool set. Somebody said you can click Alt with the Pen tool selected to toggle through those tools? Maybe I misunderstood, but didn't work for me.

Another feature I'd like to see - and again Illustrator does - is when you are dragging out a point if you hit Spacebar you can adjust the position of the point. That is also very helpful in Illustrator but not available in Ps.

• 9. Re: Pen tool that behaves more like in Illustrator
                          Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Honestly the best thing you can do for yourself is to clearly read again the three tips that I concluded above. Practice the shortcuts, using the only two tools you need, the pen (P) and the direct selection (A).

you actually have to be dragging out a handle and hold down Alt.

No you don't. You just have to hover the cursor over either an endpoint or a path point while holding Alt.

Somebody said you can click Alt with the Pen tool selected to toggle
                          through those tools? Maybe I misunderstood, but didn't work for me.

… if you really want to do it this way - to toggle the tools just press Shift P. There is a preference called "use shift key for tool switch" that you can also uncheck. This will mean that the P key alone will toggle the tools. You can also reassign these shortcuts, meaning that any tools that you dont want to come up wile looping through the P key can be taken out.

• 10. Re: Pen tool that behaves more like in Illustrator
                            Joel Glovier Level 1

Honestly the best thing you can do for yourself is to clearly read again the three tips that I concluded above.

Again, thanks for the tips. Not sure why you have to be so obnoxious about it though. Do you think I'm an idiot? The best thing I can do is reread your comments? Seriously? Get over yourself, buddy.

Look, what I discovered is that when you hover over a previous point and hold Alt you get the "V" icon, but when you hover over the most recent point you created and hold Alt no icon - so I just wasn't getting it. Nice to know - still pretty hidden if you ask me.

As far as holding Alt while draggin out, as this article points out from Help, that is apparently the only way to make a handle go in another direction.

• 11. Re: Pen tool that behaves more like in Illustrator
                              Reynolds (Mark) Level 4
                              Get over yourself, buddy.

Apologies - yes I can be a bit of a **** sometimes.