5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2014 11:46 PM by ddh888

Help with TIFF image sequence frame rate?

firstbrushdave

I'm working on an animation sequence, its a 24p project.  Whenever I import an image sequence, Premiere automatically interprets this at 29.97 (though, per the help files, it should automatically interpret at the project frame rate, but it's not).  In the project panel, I use interpret footage so that it interprets at 24p.  However, when I bring this image sequence into the timeline it shows at the right duration, but the end of the sequence is cut off (essentially, premiere is still reading in at 30p, but gives it the duration of 24p).

CS4 is the first version I've had this problem with.. usually, I just bring in the image sequence and it's fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Help with TIFF image sequence frame rate?
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

CS4 no longer has a project frame rate.   That is set in the sequence and each sequence can be different.  That makes me wonder how Pr decides to deal with image sequences since they are imported into the project.   I assume your sequence is 24p?   You may have found a bug.  I haveno ideas; but there are a lot of smart people around here who might know an answer.

• 2. Re: Help with TIFF image sequence frame rate?
            joshtownsend Level 2

I always use AE for still sequence stuff so never noticed that before. I had a 23.976 sequence. Dragged it in the timeline...then interpreted it as 23.976 (defaulted to 30 fps). I had to drag the end out like you said..... But if I did the 'interpret footage' before dragging it in the timeline it came in the correct length.

BTW her my Public Service Announcement: Whenever someone says they have render problems, I always tell them to render as a still sequence. If you crash you can pick up where you left off and even figure out which clip might be giving you trouble with your render. Also it's a must for long projects. If you spend 12 hours rendering and find you need to tweek a small piece the project you don't have to re-render the whole. Still sequences are way underrated.

• 3. Re: Help with TIFF image sequence frame rate?
              firstbrushdave Level 1

Yes, I understand that each sequence has it's own framerate.  The one I am working with is set at 24p, but

the image sequence still imports as 30p. I'm guessing it's a bug, but I'm surprised that more people haven't stumbled onto this.

• 4. Re: Help with TIFF image sequence frame rate?
                firstbrushdave Level 1

I'm still not getting the results you are seeing.  When I interpret the footage at 24p, it doesn't come out right.  It shows as being the correct duration in the timeline, but it runs at a slower rate and the end is getting cut off (as if Premiere was still looking at the sequence as if it were still 30p, then stretching it out to a 24p rate, which is not at all what I need).

Guess I'll have to use After Effects as a workaround, but it's still disappointing.

• 5. Re: Help with TIFF image sequence frame rate?
                  ddh888

Hi, I have the same problem as my workflow is to import R3D into AE CC and render it into Tiff sequence. At first I had changed every setting to 24, and it rendered out choppy and clipped off a few frames in the end.

Now I have tried this

Once you import Tiff, right click> Interpret Footage > Main

Then you will see black box. In this column box, there is Frame Rate column, then tick Assume this frame rate: 24 frames per second.

You have to type in 24 yourself, then it works out fine.

My guess is that Tiff is sequence image, and it DOES NOT have frame rate. So you have to tell AE to assume the imported image sequence's frame rate. Otherwise it always assumes 30 by default.

Hope it works.

DDH111