15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2010 10:13 AM by rawatts

    Should I continie to wait for 64 bit windows 7 sp1?

    TL2121 Level 1

      OK

       

      I currently have a woefully inadequate setup to edit hdv-PrPro CS4 bundled with Production suite CS4 windows xp pro SP3 32 bit 2 GB ram 1.66GHZ duo core proc- I could go on but I think I can hear the laughs from this side of the computer screen already

       

      The only reason I have put off buying a new cpu is because I am used to waiting for microsoft to release the new SP 1, then reading the Adobe forums and getting a feel for if Pr Pro CS$, I mean Pr Pro CS4 really still works with the SP update. I've been reading up on this and from what I gather, a SP update to windows 7 is not imminent- When SP1 comes out- I should just be able to update to that anyway using Microsoft update right?

       

       

      I had been doing this in the past to upgrade my windows xp pro from SP 2 to SP 3, but I thought I read here that Harm says it's best to reinstall everything instead of simply updating from windows 7 to windows 7 SP1

       

      So what do you guys/gals think- am I crazy waiting for this thing?

      I'm starting to think I may be

       

      Thanks

      Tony

        • 1. Re: Should I continie to wait for 64 bit windows 7 sp1?
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

          If you will be getting a new PC; just get it with Win7 installed.    Its very stable right now, no need to wait.    IF you arent ina hurry you may want to see what adobe announces about their next release.   There may be some HW decisions you want to make based on their next release.

          • 2. Re: Should I continie to wait for 64 bit windows 7 sp1?
            TL2121 Level 1

            thanks Curt

             

            and thanks for the helpful tuts as well

             

            HW decisions? what does H and W stand for again?

             

            If you're talking About CS5- I would not touch that thing with a ten foot pole- When I uninstalled Pr pr cs2 (prod premium) and installed prod prem CS4 as Adobe recommends- I was not allowed by Adobe to revert back to prod prem CS2 after I found out first hand that CS4 is a monstrosity- They would not let me reactivate CS2 prod prem- saying it was "old" software- so thanks for the suggestion- but I will not be touching CS5.

             

            Thanks Again

            • 3. Re: Should I continie to wait for 64 bit windows 7 sp1?
              Curt Wrigley Level 4

              sry; hw = hardware.

               

              If this UG is for CS2, you may not find any benefit from an Pr perspective.  CS4 is not 64bit native, but is 64 bit aware; meaning it runs better in 64 bit.   CS5 is reported to be 64 bit native.    So; with both cs4 and cs5 (sometime in future) you would see a benefit.  Not so much with CS2;  In fact adobe would say CS2 is not garunteed to even run in 64 bit; but it probably will.

              • 4. Re: Should I continie to wait for 64 bit windows 7 sp1?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

                Updating an OS with SP's is quite good. Just the other day I updated Vista on my laptop to SP2. No problem. But UPGRADING, for instance from Vista to Win7 is better done with a complete fresh install.

                 

                I agree with Curt that Win7 is very stable and there is no need to wait for SP1. It may be common practive in corporate environments to wait for the first service pack to be released, but for an editor and with the shown stability of Win7, I think that approach is overly cautious. However, before you decide on what system you want, either wait for CS5 to be accounced officially (not the rumors in the graveyard) sometime this year (according to expectations) and make your decisions then or take the plunge now and maybe you will find eventually that your choice now has been suboptimal, but that is always the case. Waiting will give you newer, faster and cheaper options, but you lose productivity now.

                • 5. Re: Should I continie to wait for 64 bit windows 7 sp1?
                  joshtownsend Level 2

                  I don't understand why you'd wait based on that. If Adobe doesn't work with a win 7 sp1 update (which isn't even needed because Win 7 works great) then just wait to update. Anyway I don't even see why it's be a problem. I started using using Win 7 when it first came out as a public beta and had no Premiere problems at all. Which is pretty amazing.

                   

                  I mean why wait? Even the cheapest quadcore and will speed your editing up at least 5 fold. Worrying about a service pack that hasn't been announced and isn't really needed doesn't seem like a good reason to wait. What takes you an hour to do now will only take you 20 minutes, not to mention the time saved and creativity tou get being able to edit HD realtime.

                   

                  So you have no excuse.....upgrade that system and make sure you get windows 64.

                  1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Should I continie to wait for 64 bit windows 7 sp1?
                    Phil Griffith Level 2

                    I  would add that cs4, even though not fully 64 bit, is designed to take advantage of 64 bit. So right off the bat, cs4 would be a big step up in that you could take advantage of increased ram. I am currently running 8 gigs.

                    The real advantage will be cs5 which has been announced to be fully 64 bit native.

                    1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Should I continie to wait for 64 bit windows 7 sp1?
                      TL2121 Level 1

                      Curt

                       

                      Yeah like I said before- I can't run CS2- anymore Adobe won't let me reactivate- so I only have CS4 which like you said is 64 bit aware-

                       

                      That's good enough for me right now.

                       

                      Thanks everyone for the good advice- It's between what Harm and Josh said- I'm not gonna buy something immediately- but I can begin my search now and in the next couple months decide on a good i7 proc with 12GB RAM windows 7 64bit (may wait a month or two for Adobe's announcement- but not holding my breath for CUDA)- I wonder if Dell will overclock the 2.66 GHZ to 3.2GHZ for me?

                       

                      It couldn't hurt to ask

                       

                      Thanks everybody for your valuable expertise

                       

                      When I finally make the plunge I'll post

                       

                      Best

                      Tony

                      • 8. Re: Should I continie to wait for 64 bit windows 7 sp1?
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

                        Dell, at least the XPS line, but maybe on other lines as well, has a crippled BIOS, which does allow overclocking.

                        • 9. Re: Should I continie to wait for 64 bit windows 7 sp1?
                          TL2121 Level 1

                          Harm

                           

                          what do you mean by crippled exactly? does that mean the bios is not set up to do much else- the bios is something I've tried to understand and I get the basic gist- but messing around with all the different settings makes me nervous

                          • 10. Re: Should I continie to wait for 64 bit windows 7 sp1?
                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

                            Harm believes in overclocking, so any Bios that does not permit such is, to him, crippled

                             

                            I do not overclock, so all I care about in a Bios is that it will fully support the equipment I want to use, at a "stock" speed

                             

                            But... I also do not buy computers, I build my own based on MY choice of components

                             

                            Soon (2-3 months, once CS5 is physically available) I plan to build a 64bit computer

                             

                            Intel i7 920 (or 930) + Asus P6 motherboard + 12Gig ram

                             

                            2ea 320Gig Sata for software and scratch and 1T Sata for data (SD only, no HD so don't need Raid)

                            • 11. Re: Should I continie to wait for 64 bit windows 7 sp1?
                              TL2121 Level 1

                              JTS

                              Thanks for your response

                               

                              Harm says- "Dell, at least the XPS line, but maybe on other lines as well, has a crippled BIOS, which does allow overclocking."

                               

                              JTS says- "Harm believes in overclocking, so any Bios that does not permit such is, to him, crippled"

                               

                               

                              JTS is there a misprint in there somewhere? as these two statements are in conflict

                               

                              Just curious- why wouldn't you overclock just a little- I've read that it is safe with the stock i7 cooler to go to 3.4 ghz- I figured I'd undershoot a bit.

                               

                              maybe what I read was not correct?- I'll try to find the article

                              • 12. Re: Should I continie to wait for 64 bit windows 7 sp1?
                                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

                                Reread Harm's statement as "does NOT allow" which is, I am sure from other messages, what he meant to say until he went into "letter saving" mode

                                • 13. Re: Should I continie to wait for 64 bit windows 7 sp1?
                                  shooternz Level 6

                                  My software and hardware upgrade  decision revolves entirely around 64-bit.  (Adobe and OS). It is a major upgrade after many minor ones.

                                   

                                  I have been waiting for the CS5 release and my intention as soon as it is... will be as follows:

                                   

                                  I will build a 64 bit CUSTOM system (based on the knowledge and info I get from the hardware guys on this and other forums as well as my 'puter builders) and to my requirements. Namely  - HD edit suite in a pro environment. Broadcast Online.

                                   

                                  I intend to mess with Windows 7 ... learn it, hone and pare it down and then...install CS5 ...once satisfied that all other drivers etc are stable and working.

                                   

                                  As with my CS4 install..I will proceed with testing and gradually install support applications (eg QTpro)  and plug-ins etc until I am totally satisfied I can throw this machine at a production without fear of missing a deadline (and I usually work to tight deadlines).

                                   

                                  With CS4 it took the first update patch for me to be able to work with it.

                                   

                                  My other Adobe suites will remain totally functional (earning)... during, and for sometime after, the process.

                                  • 14. Re: Should I continie to wait for 64 bit windows 7 sp1?
                                    TL2121 Level 1

                                    Thanks for the help

                                     

                                    below is a link to reiterating what Harm and JTS are saying- you can't overclock a dell pre-made system because of the crippled bios

                                     

                                    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252419-29-dell-studio

                                     

                                    Thanks for the heads up guys

                                     

                                    Hopefully this post may help someone in the future

                                    • 15. Re: Should I continie to wait for 64 bit windows 7 sp1?
                                      rawatts Level 1

                                      Here is a link to an article a few days ago saying Windows & SP1 will be out around the end of the year.

                                       

                                      http://www.pcworld.com/article/191935/microsoft_announces_windows_7_sp1.html?tk=nl_wvx_h_c rawl

                                       

                                      Bob