29 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2010 9:04 AM by david pro

Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder

david pro Level 1

Hi there.

I didn't see a category just for Adobe Media Encoder, so I think this one is closest.

I have a video file that I edited in Final Cut Express and exported and a Quicktime Movie, so the settings are the same as the original footage, which is HD 16:9.

The video is about 50 minutes long and 14GB. When I export it into iDVD and burn it onto a DVD the quality is very poor.

Is there a better way to convert the .mov to a DVD format and then burn it? I have Adobe Media Encoder but can't figure out how to set the settings... I don't see any way of adjusting the bitrate when I choose to convert from .mov to MPEG-2 DVD.

I'm kinda new to this and would appreciate the help.

Thanks,

David

• 1. Re: Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder
          JaysonM-Y Level 3

you selected MPEG2-DVD as the format, now under 'Preset' drop down the menu and hit 'Edit Export Settings'

I got some good links to authoring dvds.... now if i can remember where I put them...... nope, not there.... only lint.....

stay tuned for more info.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder
            the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

One of the problems that you're going to have is the down-rezing from HD to SD. You might want to rethink the workflow for the highest quality down-rezing. See Jeff Bellune's HD to SD tutorial. Might be some good tips in it.

One conversion program that I have used, though not for this workflow is Apple's QT Pro, and let it do the down-rezing to DV-AVI, or MPEG-2.

Which authoring program are you planning to use? If Encore, then I'd go with the DV-AVI and let Encore do the Transcoding automatically.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder
              david pro Level 1

Thank you so much for the quick replies.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'authoring tool', but I'm guessing it's the editing program..... I'm using Final Cut Express, then I was considering doing the compression with Adobe Media Encoder CS4. I ended up exporting in Final Cut as a Quicktime file, MPEG-2, then upping the bitrate to 9000, and I have a nice video as a result. I have yet to burn onto a DVD, but I'm expecting that the quality won't change, since the file is only 3.6GB.

I will have a look at the link you sent, Bill. Thanks again.

David

• 4. Re: Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder
                the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

I did not mean that Encore is an "editing tool." It is not. It does no editing, with the exception of a rudimentary SlideShow feature.

Editing is taking the source footage, and assembling it through editing. PrPro does that nicely.

An "authoring program" is one that takes the edited material and assembles it for burning to a DVD-Video. All of the material that you Import into Encore MUST be first edited.

The editing phase is completed in the NLE (Non Linear Editor) and then Imported into the authoring program to do the Menus, the navigation and prepare the AV Assets for Transcoding to MPEG-2 (unless one Transcodes from the NLE). The authoring program's role is small, and well-defined - it gets edited material onto a DVD-Video disc, or similar.

Good luck, and sorry for the confusion,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder
                  david pro Level 1

Thanks again Bill for taking the time to answer to my posting.

This just shows how much I have to learn about video production! So Final Cut Express is my editing software and iDVD is what I use to create the menu and burn the DVD. I'm guessing iDVD would then be the authoring tool.

The only thing I'm unsure about in your posting is that the authoring tool, Encore, does the transcoding to MPEG-2. I have exported my video in MPEG-2 format, so when I import into iDVD it will not compress the file any further. I will essentially end up with the same quality video that I got when I exported from Final Cut, right?

• 6. Re: Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder
                    david pro Level 1

By the way, when I exported the video as a Quicktime file, MPEG-2, with a bitrate of

9000, I also chose the frame size as HD (I can't bring it up right now but it was 16:9, something like 1720 x 900). Anyway, does that seem like a good option... to simply export with those settings and burn that file in iDVD?

• 7. Re: Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

That would be my guess too, based on the name. Unfortunately, I am not a Mac-person, so I can only guess.

I have a feeling that iDVD will be along the lines of the DVD authoring capabilities in PrElements, or the old PrPro 2.0 - maybe a little more power? I think that you will find Encore much more powerful, though more of the work must be done by hand - almost nothing is even semi-automatic, like in PrE, or that old version of PrPro. Again, not knowing the Mac programs leaves me guessing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Are you planning to burn to BD (Blu-ray Disc), or DVD? That will make a difference.

Also, a Mac-person will have to tell you what iDVD wants for Assets. In Encore, I usually go with DV-AVI Type II's, or 100% DVD-compliant MPEG-2's. One authoring program, Sony's DVD Architect, only takes MPEG-2's, IIRC and no DV-AVI's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder
                          JaysonM-Y Level 3

for information on using iDVD i suggest you head over to Apple's discussions forum on iDVD

• 10. Re: Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder
                            david pro Level 1

Thanks again for your help.

I checked out the Jeff Bellune's HD to SD tutorial and unfortunately I could not download the first program onto my mac... it seems that they are made for windows.

But I did pick up Adobe Encore, as well as Premiere Pro and Media Encoder.

But for now I have a video that was edited in Final Cut. Here's my question:

I have filmed in AVC HD 16M (FH) (1920X1080). imported into iMovie at 1080i 960x540, then exported as an XML into Final Cut.

Here's where I'm not sure what to do. I originally exported the video as an MPEG-4 Video at HD1280x720 at a data rate of 9000, deinterlaced. The quality was fairly good, but wanted to see if I could do better.

I want people without blue ray players to be able to watch it, so it is essential that I change it to SD.

I have searched for HD to SD converters and found a few but want to make sure that this is in my best interest before I buy one, and that they are good quality. They do have trials, so I plan on testing them.

My question is what do you think is my best approach to preparing a high quality SD video file before I import it into Adobe Encore?

(I'm also unsure of what dimensions to choose in Encore, because the only way I can get 16:9 is if I choose blue ray).

Cheers,

David

• 11. Re: Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder
                              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

There's also a tutorial on my site that deals with scaling HD to SD using only CS4.  If your source footage is progressive, you'll get excellent results.  If it's interlaced, you may get good results, you may not.  Test a short segment to save time.

-Jeff

• 12. Re: Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder
                                david pro Level 1

Ha!

That's funny, Jeff... I just finished watching that video. Thank you for putting that together. It was very clear and easy to follow.

My camera films at 1080i60 (a Sony HDR-SR11), so I will follow your directions to export my video next time.

My only problem is that when I import AVCHD into Premiere Pro the footage is choppy. I have a Macbook Pro with 2.4 GHz, Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, which should be enough.... ? What would you suggest?

David

• 13. Re: Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder

For good AVCHD performance, you need a quad-core CPU, minimum.

-Jeff

• 14. Re: Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder
                                    david pro Level 1

Can I convert the AVCHD to something and import into Premiere Pro? I recently read a posting that suggested converting to P2 Movie...

• 15. Re: Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder

Try using the AME.  Add your AVCHD footage to the queue, and export to almost any codec you want.  Try P2 DVCPro, XDCAM, Quicktime Photo-JPEG or Animation, whatever you have room for and whatever edits well in Pr on your system.  If scaling or deinterlacing is involved, make sure to check Maximum Render Quality in the settings flyout menu.

-Jeff

• 16. Re: Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder
                                        david pro Level 1

Ok.

I've tried P2 DVC Pro already and it worked out fine.

Do I go through the same procedure that you outlined in the video for 1080i60 when I want to export for DVD?

David

• 17. Re: Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder
                                          david pro Level 1

Also, what presets should I use...? None of the ones under AVCHD -> 1080i match the settings I filmed with, which were:

HD FH (16Mbps) AVCHD (MPEG-4/H.264) 1920 x 1080/50i

• 18. Re: Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder
                                            david pro Level 1

I'm actually not sure if the above was correct. I think it should be 1080i60, or 1920x1080 at 60 half frames per second.

• 19. Re: Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder

what presets should I use...? None of the ones under AVCHD -> 1080i match the settings I filmed with

First, you don't want to convert to AVCHD or any other flavor of H.264 - you're trying to get away from that codec, remember?

Next, give these P2 settings a try, since you said the P2 stuff edited well:

P2-1080i60.jpg

• 20. Re: Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder
                                                david pro Level 1

Hi Jeff.

Yes... sorry I didn't explain myself, but I'm considering buying an iMac so that I can use the native AVCHD files. It will have the following specs, so I'm pretty sure it'll do well with Adobe Premiere CS4:

• 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
                                                • 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB
                                                • 1TB Serial ATA Drive
                                                • ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB

Thanks for the P2 settings. Do you know which AVCHD setting I would use?

All the best,

David

• 21. Re: Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder
                                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

David,

Sorry, but that does not even meet minimum requirements, which state a DEDICATED 7200 RPM SATA drive or striped array at least.

• 22. Re: Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder

Yeah, Harm's right.  You'll need *at least* a second hard drive for media, and having 3 drives would be even better.

AVCHD isn't an export option.  If you beef up the horsepower in your computer to handle AVCHD, then you won't need to do any conversions in the AME at all.  Just import the original AVCHD clips into Pr and start editing.

-Jeff

• 23. Re: Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder
                                                      david pro Level 1

Thanks, Jeff.

So to your first point... do you mean that I should be working with at least 2 hard drives, and saving different elements of the media on them both, such as half the video clips on one drive and half on the other? Is it not enough to have all of the media on one RAID drive that already saves the information over two separate drives? I have one RAID Mediasonic with two 1TB drives inside.

To the second one... I was asking about Premiere Pro presets - when I first open a new project. I'm not sure which preset to choose under the AVCHD category.

David

• 24. Re: Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder

I'm considering buying an iMac so that I can use the native AVCHD files. It will have the following specs, so I'm pretty sure it'll do well with Adobe Premiere CS4:

• 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
                                                        • 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB
                                                        • 1TB Serial ATA Drive

There was no mention of RAID or of any other drive at all besides the 1 TB SATA.  When we respond here, we only have the information you give us.  You need 1 hard drive for OS/Programs, 1 hard drive for media, and (optional but desirable) one hard drive for a scratch disk.  You don't need to split the media between 2 drives.

Also, what presets should I use...? None of the ones under AVCHD -> 1080i match the settings I filmed with

Thanks for the P2 settings. Do you know which AVCHD setting I would use?

You and I have been talking about exporting/converting using the AME.  It's a bit confusing if you start throwing in questions about sequence presets for importing/editing in a different application and don't tell anyone that you've changed the subject.

-Jeff

• 25. Re: Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder
                                                          david pro Level 1

Hi Jeff.

I'm sorry. It's difficult to know what information is important when learning how to work with video. I spoke with someone on another forum who said all I needed to do was have a quad core processor and I would be fine working with AVCHD... so that's the info I was going on.

My plan is to buy the iMac so that I am able to work with AVCHD in its native format within Premiere Pro, instead of having to convert it to another format like P2, like you suggested earlier. I want to begin with the best quality video I can create so that when I burn DVD's and upload videos for the web, they are also the best quality I can produce.

Anyway, I have a RAID and a couple other hard drives, so I should be fine.

The only thing I'm unsure of is what presets to use within premiere for avchd when I open a new project. One source says the format I filmed at has the following specs:

HD FH (16Mbps) AVCHD (MPEG-4/H.264) 1920 x 1080/50i

while another says that it's 1920x1080/60i.

Cheers,

David

• 26. Re: Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

I am sorry, but I have become very confused here, regarding your system.

Maybe you can give us the details of your system. It seems that there are little bits and pieces, but either I have not followed each post, or my reading comprehension has failed me here.

As for editing video, here is what I consider the minimum:

C:\ OS, programs, and possibly the Windows Virtual Memory (Page File), but this needs to be determined by testing on your system.

D:\ Media (RAID 0 level is good, so long as you do not need redundancy)

E:\ Projects and Scratch Disks

What does your system consist of, and how have you located things? Note: above, I am talking of physical HDD's and NOT logical HDD's, i.e. partitions. Those are not recommended anywhere, when editing video. Heck, since about '85, they are just not recommended, except in special circumstances. Think that Jeff uses one, but he has a special backup scheme.

Good luck, and let us know what you have and what you are doing with it.

Hunt

• 27. Re: Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder
                                                              david pro Level 1

Hi Bill

I am presently working on a Macbook Pro 10.5.8, 2.4 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. My C drive has the OS and programs and my 2TB RAID Mediasonic Harddrive contains all media, projects and scratch disks. But in order to use the AVCHD files the only option I knew of was to import my AVCHD footage into iMovie, then exporting as an XML into  Final Cut. (When I import the AVCHD files into Premiere Pro the playback is choppy).

So, in order to be able to edit the native AVCHD footage in Premiere Pro (with smooth playback) I have been considering buying an iMac with the following specs:

• 2.8GHz  Quad-Core Intel Core i7
                                                              • 8GB 1066MHz DDR3  SDRAM - 4x2GB
                                                              • 1TB Serial ATA Drive

.... along with my 2TB RAID Mediasonic.

And I see what you're saying about the hard drive use... have the OS and programs on C drive, Media on D drive and Projects and Scratch Disks on the E drive. So once I get the new iMac, I should put the Media on the 2TB RAID and the Projects and Scratch Disks on a separate external hard drive.

David

• 28. Re: Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder

Hi David,

What source do you trust?  Since you did the filming, what setting did you use?  50i is PAL, 60i is NTSC.  Is one of the sources Pr?  If not, then import a clip and go to File | Interpret Footage to see what Pr thinks it is.  Maybe Pr could be the tie-breaker.

Either way you'll use a 1080i AVCHD preset.  If the frame size is 1920x1080, then don't use the anamorphic preset.  Anamorphic is for 1440x1080 with non-square pixels.

-Jeff

• 29. Re: Converting .mov to DVD in Adobe Media Encoder
                                                                  david pro Level 1

Hi Jeff.

Both sources were on forums, so no one sticks out as more reliable. The setting on my camera says AVCHD 16M (FH) (1920x1080), but nothing  about frame rate. However, the rest of what you said seems to have solved the issue.

Wow, that's great information to know. I will try what you suggest with Pr Pro and that should work.

By the way, every time I get a message from you guys I learn at least one thing that is one of those "light bulb" moments. I am extremely grateful for your time and patience. This is a massive help.

Cheers,

David