24 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2010 2:32 AM by Dave-Jem

On Screen Playback wont work

Dave-Jem

I have produced a movie using "MOV"" files. I then wanted to start editing the sound wave so as to take out all the bits not wanted.

I seem to be unable to play back sections of the inserts so I may edit the sound.

We used to be using Windows XP with Premiere Elements 7, but now we are on Windows 7 with Premiere 8.

I don't really know much about the technical side of my computer, I just know the old one worked and worked well and now, well, I am in trouble.

Thanks and hope someone can help out

• 1. Re: On Screen Playback wont work
          nealeh Level 5

We need a fair bit more information about your PC, your video clip sources (make and model) and how you got the clips onto your PC.

Check this out: Got a problem? Here's how best to ask for help.

It sounds as though your W7 PC is a new one - this means that many, if not all, of the drivers are outdated. So things you should definitely do:

• Install all Windows Updates
          • Update your graphics and sound card drivers from the manufacturers web sites
          • Update QuickTime to the latest release.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: On Screen Playback wont work
            Dave-Jem Level 1

Ok, well, I hope I can add the information for you guys, here goes :-

The files being used are "MOD" from a JVC HDD Camcorder.

Currently we are using a new computer HP Pavillion p6220a Home PC

with Windows 7 Ïntel GMA 3100 Graphics and 2 gig RAM

I am trying to use Premiere Elements 8 to create a family DVD. I have started a NEW project and imported the "MOD" files as per the software icons.

Once in, just dragged and drop in order required.

Files were simply downloaded from the Camcorder to a directory on my PC.

I hope this can help with any advise.

Thank you for your time

• 3. Re: On Screen Playback wont work
              nealeh Level 5

Dont forget to do the windows, quicktime, graphics and sound updates.

Is your windows 32 or 64 bit?

Your 2GB ram is pretty low for processing and, if your JVC is recording AVCHD, nowhere near enough.

If you can run your clips through GSpot that will give information on the codecs used by your camera. Dependant on whether you are filming HD or SD you should try converting the files first to the formats PRE processes best.

HDV

Re: How can I convert my AVCHD footage to more traditional HDV?

DV-AVI

What tools can I use to convert my video to DV-AVI?

Older, but possibly still of help is:

How can I best work with JVC Everio video files?

Come back with an update after doing the above and, if still not working, we can dig a little deeper.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: On Screen Playback wont work
                nealeh Level 5

Concerning editing the sound wave what exactly are you trying to do? It seems as though you are saying you want to remove a part of the sound but not the matching video. If this is so then you will need to 'unlink audio and video' by right-clicking the clip.

[edit] In the timeline view have you rendered your previews ( if not a red line will appear above the clip, press enter and it will go green)

Cheers,
                --
                Neale

added [edit]

• 5. Re: On Screen Playback wont work
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

JVC's MOD files can be a bit of a problem. First, here is an ARTICLE on using those files. I am not sure where the MOV files come in. According to your workflow, you are just copying the MOD files over to you PC and then Importing those files. Did you mis-type "MOV," when you meant "MOD?"

Now, if you have edited these files earlier on with a different computer, but cannot do so now, it is very likely that you either have a missing component, like a CODEC, or a setting in PrE 8, regarding the playback settings. I do not have PrE 8, but maybe another user, with that version, can look over your Edit>Preferences settings and see something different.

It could also be that the video-card driver is not up to date on the new machine. Can you tell us what video card the new computer has, and also what the driver version is?

As for the Audio-editing, can you describe what you want to do with Audio? There are many things that PrE can do with Audio, and if you need more features, we will have recommendations on using another program to get exactly what you want.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Re-reading the thread, I now have one more question: when you say that you are unable to playback sections, is this Video playback, Audio playback or both?

If Audio-only, the "fix" will likely be different, than with any aspect of Video not playing.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit]

• 6. Re: On Screen Playback wont work
                    VDOSurfer Level 3

Press Enter, render the clip make changes, render again and check if the playback improves.....

• 7. Re: On Screen Playback wont work
                      Dave-Jem Level 1
                      Thank you for your information above.
                      Just more information about it :-
                      Windows 7 (64 bit)
                      Intel G33\G31 Video with driver version 8.15.10.1912 - I hope it is the latest, well according any info I can find.
                      Currently, I an trying to edit the MOD files, I even went through and ran the Elements 8 to create the AVI file and I an still unable to play back in Elements 8.
                      I considering calling a Computer guy to come to the house cos I just can't seem to sort this out. Disappointing, cos we bought Elements 7 and put it on our XP laptop and all went well, bought a band new HP Pavilion with Windows 7 and now cant get the software to work properly.
                      Thanks for your time, it is greatly appreciated.
                      • 8. Re: On Screen Playback wont work
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

There have been several playback issues with both Adobe NLE's, PrE and PrPro, when one has the Intel graphics chips. Intel has not been good at releasing updated drivers, and many OS updates and hot-fixes have really messed up older ones. I love Intel chips for other applications, but their graphics chips and driver support seem horribly lacking.

For many, the only solution has been to bypass the Intel graphics chips and add an ATI, or nVidia dedicated graphics card instead. Unfortunately, if one is on a laptop, this is usually not possible.

Wish that I had a bunch of good news, but from all of the reports with Intel graphics chips, I know of no real good solution for all users.

One test that you might want to run would be to get a DV-AVI Type II file and test playback with it. Note the full description of the test file's format. Just being an AVI is not nearly enough, as an AVI can contain almost any CODEC, and most are not meant to be edited - just played back in a player app. and not an NLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: On Screen Playback wont work
                          VDOSurfer Level 3

There is one solution though.. For playback.

We can disable the GPU playback (something I noticed the patch does anyway). Edit -> Preferences -> General tab, disable GPU playback option. Uncheck this if checked. This is not a solution that will be liked (If I bought a graphics card for Premiere Elements and I am not able to use it, what's the point?)

But at least it saves you the headache of checking if the display drivers are latest, and if they are, is it compatible with PrE8 etc etc. Disabling this does solve many problems, especially the ones where it crashes inexplicably. Playback would be slower but definitely application becomes more stable.

Another thing that we can do is do a BIOS upgrade. If one is available, it is ALWAYS suggested that we have it done.

But nothing beats rendering for playback issues.

Again, all this only out of my experience..

• 10. Re: On Screen Playback wont work
                            Dave-Jem Level 1

Thanks guys, but I am having no joy with anything. I can not even

play anything. I know it is more likely to be my

lack of understanding about these things, but one would asume that if you buy a

product you should be able to use it.

Thank you allm so much for your time. Would be great if someone lived next

door to lokk at it for me.

Thanks all

Kind Regards

Dave (Queensland, Australia)

• 11. Re: On Screen Playback wont work
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Dave,

One question (do not think it's been asked yet): have you installed any CODEC packs? Did you, either with the CODEC pack, or otherwise, install FFDShow? To be sure, you can look in Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs and check to see if FFDShow is in there, when you let the list populate.

FFDShow has been known to cause playback issues with Adobe programs, and it is installed with many CODEC packs, plus can be installed alone.

Just going down the list of common playback issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: On Screen Playback wont work
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Dave,

Some more thinking here. Sorry to be jumping about.

PrE relies heavily on Apple's QT Player. This can be an easy fix, or might take a bit of work. First, a little background. Going back several generations of QT Player, there were several versions in the 7.4.x versions, that flat did not work with Adobe programs. It was not until 7.5.5 (last known good) that things smoothed out. For a version, or two, most things worked well. Then the 7.6.x series came out and once more Adobe programs did not work. There were at least two in each the 7.4.x and the 7.6.x series, that just flat killed Adobe programs.

First, I would update QT Player to the latest version. If that makes no change, then I would find a copy of 7.5.5 (should be archived on the Apple site, but might be hard to find - also available on several archiving sites), and try that. As I say above, 7.5.5 was the "last known good" version. It has worked perfectly for all users, that I know of.

What version of QT Player do you have installed?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: On Screen Playback wont work
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a link to download Apple's QT Player 7.5.5.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: On Screen Playback wont work
                                    Dave-Jem Level 1

Thanks Bill, but so far I am at an end. Could quite easily be my misunderstanding of programmes.

I wanted to attached a MOD file and maybe these are the problem or maybe someone can see that way but seem to be unable to attach them - oh cr@p

• 15. Re: On Screen Playback wont work
                                      Chris at JVC

Hi,

My name is Chris and I work for JVC.

.mod files are standard definition MPEG2.  They are not AVCHD.  AVCHD files from a JVC HD Everio would have a .mts file extension.

I hope this helps.

• 16. Re: On Screen Playback wont work
                                        Chris at JVC Level 1

Hi Bill,

As you know from my previous posts, I am an Adobe novice.  Just getting started with PE8, but so far I like what I see.

What I want to make sure everyone on the forum is aware of is that Adobe is supporting .mod files from JVC as well as other brands in both PE8, and in PE7.  My personal experience with PE8 is that the .mod files play perfectly with no special settings at all required.  More details on my computer follow below.

The article you link to has great information for people with older versions of PE, but should not be needed with PE7 or PE8.

While I'm at it, let me tell you a little more about my latest computer, and my experience getting it up & running with a variety of different editing programs that I am helping to test at JVC.  My hope is that my story might add a little clarity for other people trying the same thing, who are not getting the desired results.

My new computer is a Windows 7 64bit.  I am using a 2.66Ghz Intel Quad Core with 4GB RAM.  I thought this should be more than adequate for any mainstream editing software.  Understand I am talking PE8 type product, not Premiere Pro CS4, or other really high end programs.  I'm not ready for that yet!

I installed several of the most popular programs, and found my PC crashed repeatedly with each one.  Either the editing software would shut down, or the whole computer would freeze.  This happened with many different programs, not just Adobe.  So, I figured it was not the software.

I narrowed it down to the video card being the weak link, so I upgraded to a better video card.  Same problems, so I tried again.  This time I switched brands.  WIth my 3rd video card, I think I have finally found a match.  Everything seems to work well, and not one crash or freeze to date.  I'm sure it will happen at some point--but I am not expecting perfection--just a reasonable degree of reliable editing capability.  I don't want to get into the specific brands of video cards I tried, as my experience may be connected to compatibility between the particular card I used and the other components in my actual PC.  I'm not sure.

Having said all this, I completely agree with your comments on updating drivers, BIOS, and the fact that the video card you choose can make a major difference.  Of course, being able to plug in a different video card easily is one of the big advantages a traditional Tower PC has over a laptop when it comes to editing.  Not saying you can't edit with a laptop.  In fact, I have a laptop that works pretty good as well.  But you really need to pay attention to the components that are included with a laptop, as you may not be able to change them.

Chris

• 17. Re: On Screen Playback wont work
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Chris,

As always, thank you for the comments. I'll be a bit more careful in linking to that MOD/TOD Article, if the user has PrE 7, or PrE 8. It is nice to know of the support.

While I am at it, does the HD TOD fall into the same group?

As have you, I have found over the years, that some components and brands, play better with some programs. For me, the vast majority of all of my programs come from Adobe, at least the ones that I use daily. Because of that, I am always most concerned that whatever I build will work with them. Most of the rest can be easily replaced. If Office fails to work correctly, I'll just use my WordPerfect Office and not miss a beat.

Appreciate the comments and clarification,

Hunt

• 18. Re: On Screen Playback wont work
                                            Chris at JVC Level 1

Hi Bill,

I have not had any problems bringing .tod files into PE8, but I have not yet been able to figure out how to share them with full quality at full resolution.

I will let you know if I make any progress on that.

JVC used MPEG2 HD Recording with the .tod file extension on pretty all our HD Everio camcorders through 2008. 

In 2008 we started to transition to AVCHD recording for our HD Everio models.  Some 2008 models have AVCHD, as well as all 2009 & 2010 HD Everio models.

AVCHD is very well supported in PE8.

Chris

• 19. Re: On Screen Playback wont work
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Chris,

At your convenience, please do report.

Do I read correctly that TOD is being phased out, in favor of AVCHD?

Just curious, and thanks,

Hunt

• 20. Re: On Screen Playback wont work
                                                Chris at JVC Level 1

Hi Bill,

Yes, .tod has not been used since our 2008 lineup.  JVC, as well as pretty much every other major camcorder manufacturer, has settled on AVCHD for all of their better HD consumer camcorders.

One other update.  I just figured out how to use .tod files in PE8 and, more importantly, how to share them with full resolution.  I don't know if this is the best way to do it, but here is what I just tried, which worked:

Under File, I selected "New Project".  Then, from "New Project", I clicked on "Change Settings."  I selected "NTSC>AVCHD", even though the .tod files did not come from an AVCHD camcorder.  Within the choices for AVCHD, I selected "Full HD 1080i 30".  From there I imported my .tod files and was able to output a new file with full resolution and great quality. 

I hope that helps.

Chris

• 21. Re: On Screen Playback wont work
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Chris,

Greatly appreciated. Glad to know these things, as hopefully they will help me help others better. Wondered why I had not heard issues with TOD in some years. Now, it makes sense, at least to me.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 22. Re: On Screen Playback wont work
                                                    Dave-Jem Level 1

G'Day guys,

Well after almost 2 weeks now of e-mails going back and forth to ADOBE, it would seem that the problem could be with a possible clash with the WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER - Version 12 I think.

Anyway, what was going on was as follows :-

If I opened a "MOD" file using WMP it would play quite happily, but, once I have opened the PE8 and tried to play using the PE8 (in which it would not play), if I closed down the PE8 and tried to use the WMP play the MOD file it also would not play them any longer.

Was trying to find out how I can de-grade the WMP to Version 11 again to see if that works. I get a feeling that there could have been an upgrade done some where along the line and that's what stopped the PE7 from working.

Anyway, again any advise is appreciated (including advise on de-grading Windows 7 64 bit to accept the WMP11)

• 23. Re: On Screen Playback wont work
                                                      nealeh Level 5

Here you go:

Downgrade Windows Media Player 12 to WMP 11 on Windows 7

Cheers,
                                                      --
                                                      Neale

• 24. Re: On Screen Playback wont work
                                                        Dave-Jem Level 1

Hi nealeh,

Thank you for the link, but as I am not that clear on copmuter systems I have been unsuccessful so far in the installation of the Media Player 11

My install keeps telling unable to copy files, it would seem all the wmp files.

Thank you for your time and if some has a step by step for dummies I would be greatly appreciated - Windows 7 64-bit.

Thanks again everyone