1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 24, 2010 5:07 AM by osgood_

Beginners question about margins pushing text away

BITESBITER Level 1

Hi, I have a made a fixed design for a web page : Body, Mainwrapper,  Header, Maincontent, Leftsidebar and Footer. All elements are floating so far so good. The only problem I encounter is when I give the Leftsidebar  (in the Maincontent) a Margin of top 40px, it's pushing the copyright text in the footer down. What do I do wrong? I noticed when I use the padding to get the text 40 px down I have no problem. But my idea was to bring the element a little down. I understand that Padding is doing this in the element and Margin outside. So is Margin always influencing text in other elements?

Please some good explanation!? Thanks in advance!!!

• 1. Re: Beginners question about margins pushing text away
          osgood_ Level 8

BITESGIRL wrote:

Hi, I have a made a fixed design for a web page : Body, Mainwrapper,  Header, Maincontent, Leftsidebar and Footer. All elements are floating so far so good. The only problem I encounter is when I give the Leftsidebar  (in the Maincontent) a Margin of top 40px, it's pushing the copyright text in the footer down. What do I do wrong? I noticed when I use the padding to get the text 40 px down I have no problem. But my idea was to bring the element a little down. I understand that Padding is doing this in the element and Margin outside. So is Margin always influencing text in other elements?

Please some good explanation!? Thanks in advance!!!

Got some code/css you can show us?