2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2010 8:37 PM by pixlor

Purchasing Webspace - how to ensure maximum security?

mhtruflo Level 1

Hi there,

My company recently purchased an additional web address so that it directs users to our main website (only slightly different web address to the existing one, so it is a relevant address).  We paid around £8.99 UK, which is something like $10 US.

However, I've just found out that our agent in Canada has purchased a different address, and for that they paid around £100.  Any idea why they paid so much for that address - basically, is that address more secure (as in harder for another party to challenge for) and/or are there any other added benefits when paying more?  The address I purchased the cheaper space was from a site called Freeola, if that helps.

Furthermore, whilst I am here, is it considered good practice (or rather, not bad practice) to purchase similar addresses to your main address and link them back to the main website?  Obviously, I realise buying an address like www.nikecola.com and directing that to your, for example, cheese selling company website is bad because it's not liked.

Thanks,

Mark

• 2. Re: Purchasing Webspace - how to ensure maximum security?
          pixlor Level 4

My company recently purchased an additional web address so that it directs users to our main website (only slightly different web address to the existing one, so it is a relevant address).  We paid around £8.99 UK, which is something like $10 US.

However, I've just found out that our agent in Canada has purchased a different address, and for that they paid around £100.  Any idea why they paid so much for that address - basically, is that address more secure (as in harder for another party to challenge for) and/or are there any other added benefits when paying more?  The address I purchased the cheaper space was from a site called Freeola, if that helps.

If you register a domain name new, then you only need to pay the registration fee. If you're buying a domain name that someone else registered, then they can pretty much charge whatever they want for it.

Furthermore, whilst I am here, is it considered good practice (or rather, not bad practice) to purchase similar addresses to your main address and link them back to the main website? 

It is not generally good practice to ask questions on a forum that do not fit the purpose of the forum. This is a forum for discussing the Web graphics and prototyping application Fireworks. It is not a general Internet business practices forum. You might get more relevant advice from the SitePoint Forums: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/