8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2010 10:48 AM by Robin Ainscough

Best web server IIS or Linux for Dreamweaver CS4?

Robin Ainscough

I'm mostly an .NET framework developer using IIS 7, Visual Studio 2008 does a horrible job of web development GUI's, good at database support but it's ability to produce nice front ends is horrible and extremely buggy.  Sooo... I'm looking at Dreamweaver CS4 and I'm about to purchase a hosting solution from GoDaddy and need to decide if I should go with Linux or IIS.

So my question:

1.  Which is platform is better for Dreamweaver CS4?  IIS or Linux?

2.  What additional components (if any) will my hosting service need to have installed on the web server to get the full benefits of CS4 output?

3.  Is there anything in CS4 where I can specify my web server platform?

Thanks, Rob.

• 1. Re: Best web server IIS or Linux for Dreamweaver CS4?
          pziecina Level 6

Hi

I'm mostly an .NET framework developer

CS4, no longer supports the .net framework, there is an extension available but this is for the 'old' framework and is very 'buggy'.

PZ

www.pziecina.com

• 2. Re: Best web server IIS or Linux for Dreamweaver CS4?
            Robin Ainscough Level 1

Hi PZ,

Thanks for the response.  I understand that .NET is not supported but that wasn't really one of my questions.  Primarily interested in what's the best Web Server to use for CS4 - .NET is not a requirement for IIS6 or IIS7 on the Windows side.

Rob.

• 3. Re: Best web server IIS or Linux for Dreamweaver CS4?
              pziecina Level 6

Hi

If you intend to use .net on the site at any time then the IIS is the only option, but my general rule is to use IIS for anything but php/mysql and for this to use Linux.

PZ

• 4. Re: Best web server IIS or Linux for Dreamweaver CS4?
                pziecina Level 6

Hi

Now for your questions -

1.  Which is platform is better for Dreamweaver CS4?  IIS or Linux?

2.  What additional  components (if any) will my hosting service need to have installed on  the web server to get the full benefits of CS4 output?

3.  Is there anything in  CS4 where I can specify my web server platform?

Answers -

1. Does not make any difference I switch between both depending on which site I am working on.
                2. This is dependant on the type of site you are developing, but dreamweaver itself does not require any special options.
                3. The web server is specified in the site definition - remote info section.

PZ

• 5. Re: Best web server IIS or Linux for Dreamweaver CS4?
                  Robin Ainscough Level 1

Could you provide some details on site "types" that will require additional components installed on the web server?

My site(s) will have some graphics support for things like:

1.  Hot spot (mouse over) images that will adjust and display additional information

2.  eCommerce support using PayPal

3.  Basic layout with fixed size

4.  Future: possible Mobile device site so it needs to detect connection device

5.  Future: possible database support (most likely MySQL - simple nothing complex)

.NET is not a requirement, that's just my background.  Also looking at ColdFusion 9 and ColdFusion Builder and Flash ... I'm having a hard time understanding why Dreamweaver, ColdFusion, and Flash aren't really just ONE integrated product rather than separate products as part of a Suite?  Guess I need to read up more on why there is a justification for different products.

Rob.

• 6. Re: Best web server IIS or Linux for Dreamweaver CS4?
                    bregent Most Valuable Participant

>1.  Hot spot (mouse over)  images that will adjust and display additional information

>2.  eCommerce support using  PayPal

>3.  Basic layout with fixed  size

>4.  Future: possible Mobile  device site so it needs to detect connection device

>5.  Future: possible  database support (most likely MySQL - simple nothing complex)

None of those would require a specific platform. Again, it all comes back to what kind of server side scripting you will be doing. If ASP, then of course you need IIS. If php, you can run on either but many folks prefer Linux.

>I'm having a hard time understanding why Dreamweaver,

>ColdFusion, and  Flash aren't really just ONE integrated product

Coldfusion is a server technology, not client. And Flash isn't included for the same reason that PhotoShop isn't included. Dreamweaver is for website creation. Flash is used to create media.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Best web server IIS or Linux for Dreamweaver CS4?
                      pziecina Level 6

Hi

Questions -

1.  Hot spot (mouse over)  images that will adjust and display additional information

2.  eCommerce support using PayPal

3.  Basic layout with fixed  size

4.  Future: possible Mobile  device site so it needs to detect connection device

5.  Future: possible database support (most likely MySQL - simple nothing complex)

Answers -

All except item 5 are client side items and nothing to do with your server.

As for item 5 the I would recommend using Linux with php/mysql.

Could you provide some details on site "types" that will require additional components installed on the web server?

Using php you could resize images on the server for delivery to the client, this would require the php GD extension installed, also ensure that the php version is a minimum of 5.2.9, anything less is not recommended in my opinion, and your MySQL database is version 5.

The complete list of why these versions and what php extensions you should have is dependant on your future requirements, but check with the eCommerce web site on their requirements for php as well.

PZ

• 8. Re: Best web server IIS or Linux for Dreamweaver CS4?
                        Robin Ainscough Level 1

Perfect, that's what I needed to know.  Thank you.

Going to go with Linux -- not sure why IIS costs more monthly to host, but Linux it is.

Apparenlty eCommerce PayPal has some issues with ASP pages so another reason to go Linux.

Rob.