6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2007 5:55 AM by Newsgroup_User

Adobe Live Effects are not supported 100%. Why?

Burak Ueda Level 3
      Using FW CS3 for Web designs.
      As most of you know, you can implement some Photoshop Live Effects inside FW CS3 but not 100%.
      I am curious why?

For example, in FW CS3, when I try to implement "Satin" effect to a button, my preferences are limited compared to Photosop version. In Photosop you can select a preset contour and you can change the blend mode. But in FW you can only change angle, distance, color, size and opacitiy.

And same thing goes for other effects. They don't have same options, and they don't create same effect with PS CS3.

I am asking this because I used strictly FW for my Web designs, but now I see that I can create much cooler buttons in PS CS3, which is mainly a photo editor :/

Is there any way to make it 100% PS compatible?

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Adobe Live Effects are not supported 100%. Why?
          Level 7
          On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 07:30:24 +0400, DeadManWalking
          <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> Using FW CS3 for Web designs.
          > As most of you know, you can implement some Photoshop Live Effects
          > inside FW
          > CS3 but not 100%.
          > I am curious why?
          >
          > For example, in FW CS3, when I try to implement "Satin" effect to a
          > button, my
          > preferences are limited compared to Photosop version. In Photosop you can
          > select a preset contour and you can change the blend mode. But in FW you
          > can
          > only change angle, distance, color, size and opacitiy.
          >
          > Is there any way to make it 100% PS compatible?

Based on the timing, I suspect that development of FW CS3 was started
          before Adobe and Macromedia merge. So the fact that they are not 100%
          compatible does not look surprizing to me. Probably it will change in the
          future. Take into account that PS and FW are rather big projects, they
          cannot be fully re-coded in a minute.

--
          Ilya Razmanov
          http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
          • 2. Re: Adobe Live Effects are not supported 100%. Why?
            Level 7
            Ilya Razmanov wrote:
            > Based on the timing, I suspect that development of FW CS3 was started
            > before Adobe and Macromedia merge. So the fact that they are not 100%
            > compatible does not look surprizing to me. Probably it will change in
            > the future. Take into account that PS and FW are rather big projects,
            > they cannot be fully re-coded in a minute.

Furthermore, they are very different kinds of applications under the
            hood. PS is a pure raster/bitmap based application with some vector
            tools added on while Fireworks is a vector application at its core but
            with bitmap editing tools.

--
            Stéphane Bergeron
            reach : connect : communicate
            http://www.webfocusdesign.com
            blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
            http://www.pixelyzed.com
            • 3. Re: Adobe Live Effects are not supported 100%. Why?
              Burak Ueda Level 3
              quote:

Furthermore, they are very different kinds of applications under the
              hood. PS is a pure raster/bitmap based application with some vector
              tools added on while Fireworks is a vector application at its core but
              with bitmap editing tools.

That is actually why I am wondering about. I can create coolest vector based web buttons in a raster/bitmap image editing program (PS), but I cannot get same quality in FW, why? It is supposed to be opposite.

• 4. Re: Adobe Live Effects are not supported 100%. Why?
                Level 7
                DeadManWalking wrote:

> That is actually why I am wondering about. I can create coolest vector based
                > web buttons in a raster/bitmap image editing program (PS), but I cannot get
                > same quality in FW, why? It is supposed to be opposite.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was because you are trying to work the
                same way in Fireworks that you do in Photoshop. It's best to approach
                Fireworks as something completely different and learn it from scratch.

--
                Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                --------------------------------------------------------------
                http://www.projectseven.com
                Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                • 5. Re: Adobe Live Effects are not supported 100%. Why?
                  Burak Ueda Level 3
                  Thanks for the response Linda.

Actually I know how to use both Photoshop and Fireworks. I use them for different purposes. Photosop for raster image/photo editing, Fireworks for vector Web images like icons, buttons, background patterns, texts etc.

I recently tried to make some vector graphics in Photoshop, and surprised how rich the filters and effects are. I just draw a square, and I could turn that square to a glossy shiny 3D button by ONLY using the live effects. No brush tool, no extra shapes etc.

I can get same effect in Fireworks but I have to draw multiple vector images, edit their shapes, apply different filters on them and combining them all together.

What I am asking is, we already have "most" of the Photoshop Live Effects in Fireworks. Why can't Adobe make it 100%? And make the results just like in Photoshop?
                  • 6. Re: Adobe Live Effects are not supported 100%. Why?
                    Level 7
                    DeadManWalking wrote:

> What I am asking is, we already have "most" of the Photoshop Live Effects in
                    > Fireworks. Why can't Adobe make it 100%? And make the results just like in
                    > Photoshop?

I'm not Adobe. Neither is anyone else here. I have no idea what their
                    plans are. You can turn that square to a glossy shiny 3D button by ONLY
                    using the live effects in Fireworks. No brush tool, no extra shapes etc.
                    You just have to know how. Play with the styles in Fireworks until you
                    find one that produces an effect close to what you are looking for, and
                    then customize it.

--
                    Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                    http://www.projectseven.com
                    Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                    CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                    http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/