19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2010 10:05 AM by the_wine_snob

Severe distortion of assets in Source and Program monitors.

hewiepro

I'm a newbie...

and I need some help. I have PPCS4 (trial version) . When I move assets to the Source monitor and/or the timeline I get severe distortion. I believe my settings are all ok and have even been running tests with the universal leader clips to make sure. (My .MOV file DOES work ok in the Source monitor but not the timeline. I am using windows xp. THanks for the help.

• 1. Re: Severe distortion of assets in Source and Program monitors.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Please give the complete details on the Assets that you are experiencing issues with. Along with that info, please give the full Project Presets chosen.

I would also post a screen-cap depicting the distortion, and tell us all about your Video sub-system, i.e. card make/model and driver installed.

Good luck, and we'll be looking for those details,

Hunt

PS - the only limitation with the trial version is that it will handle NOTHING MPEG in any direction.

• 2. Re: Severe distortion of assets in Source and Program monitors.
            hewiepro Level 1

I think this might be it: Legacy Video Capture Device. WDM Video for Windows Capture Driver (Win 32).

I have been running tests with PPCS4 universal leader clip:

ALSO...i forgot...all the files work fine in the Adobe Bridge Preview.

File Path: Universal Counting Leader
            Type: Universal Counting Leader
            Image Size: 720 x 480
            Pixel Depth: 24
            Frame Rate: 29.97
            Source Audio Format: 32000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Mono
            Project Audio Format: 32000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Mono
            Total Duration: 00;00;11;00
            Pixel Aspect Ratio: 0.9091

...and, once again, the file below works in th Source monitor but also distorted in timeline.

.MOV file

Type: QuickTime Movie
            File Size: 19.6 MB
            Image Size: 320 x 240
            Frame Rate: 30.00
            Source Audio Format: 8000 Hz - 8 bit - Mono
            Project Audio Format: 8000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Mono
            Total Duration: 00:00:32:00
            Average Data Rate: 628 KB / second
            Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

Movie contains 1 video track(s), 1 audio track(s) and 0 timecode track(s).

Video:
            There are 960 frames with a duration of 1/30th.

Video track 1:
            Duration is 0:00:32:00
            Average frame rate is 30.00 fps

Video track 1 contains 1 type(s) of video data:

Video data block #1:
            Frame Size = 320 x 240
            Compressor = Photo - JPEG
            Quality = Normal (3.00)

Audio:
            Audio track 1 contains 1 type(s) of audio data:

Audio data block #1:
            Format = 8 bit - Mono
            Rate = 8000.0000 Hz
            Compressor = None

Thanks again

• 3. Re: Severe distortion of assets in Source and Program monitors.
              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, a couple of questions:

What Project Preset did you use - full details?

What is the CODEC in the MOV files? This ARTICLE will give you some background on formats as "wrappers."

Why the 32KHz and some 8-bit Audio?

Are you Importing the stills and then Scaling them up to the Project's Frame Size, either with Effect>Motion>Scale, or Scale to Frame Size?

Please tell us about the distortion that you are seeing.

Note that the Source Monitor and Bridge are but players. There is a major difference between playing and editing. Playback in a player is not an indicator that editing will go smoothly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Severe distortion of assets in Source and Program monitors.
                shooternz Level 6

I predict...this will turn out to be a mismatched project setting  to asset dimensions plus a PAR issue.

Throw in an encode setting error for good luck.

• 5. Re: Severe distortion of assets in Source and Program monitors.
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Craig,

I have that feeling too, but have been jumping to conclusions too much lately. Otherwise, I'd "cover your bet... "

Hunt

• 6. Re: Severe distortion of assets in Source and Program monitors.
                    hewiepro Level 1

Thanks for helping out the newbie!!....to help me make it clearer in my own mind...let me forget the.MOV file for the time being.

For test runs i used the Universal Counting Leader thing (the count down numbered beeper thing at the beginning of movies).

I used the Universal Counting Leader for my test runs because it came in the PPCS4 trial version download and i thought this would help me reduce the variables on the tests i ran.

For Project Settings I used the Preset DV-NTSC the same Image Size-720x480/Frame Rate-29.97/Pixel Aspect Ratio-0.9091.

As far as i know they settings are the same...

When i drag and drop the Leader into the Source Moniter and the Timeline I get severe Pixellization, aliasing, over the whole frame.

(i think thats what you call it)...leading one to think its just a miss-sizing of the settings.

What is the "PAR" and the "encode setting error"  thing? I am thinking the answer lies there because the, i mean, the Universal Leader came with the program??!!??

• 7. Re: Severe distortion of assets in Source and Program monitors.
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

This is a good starting point.

The Leader is perfect, and isolating just it, will likely get us better results, than mixed media, due to the extreme possibilities of other issues.

The Project/Sequence Preset should be 48KHz 16-bit Audio, but that should not be an issue here. The Leader will be created (it is synthetic media) to match you Project/Sequence Preset. Enough of that, as it should have no bearing now - but something to consider later on.

Next, PAR is Pixel Aspect Ratio, and will determine the Aspect Ratio of your material. For instance, for Standard (4:3), the PAR will be 0.9 (CS4 has refined this, plus the next one), and for Widescreen (16:9), the PAR will be 1.2 (see the note on 4:3). The pixel x pixel Frame Size will be the same, 720 x 480 for NTSC.

Since you are seeing this degradation in BOTH the Source Monitor (Dbl-clicking on the Asset) and the Program Monitor (playing the Timeline with the Clip in it), I would lean to an issue with your video sub-system, and probably one of these:

1.) video card driver out of date. Can you tell us about your video card and the driver version, please?

2.) Hardware Acceleration - set too high, or too low. Adjust from where it is set to the opposite end, and test. Try incrementing, if this helps, until it does not, and then step up, or down, by one increment.

3.) OpenGL problem.

4.) nVidia gaming-only modules and settings not working well with Adobe.

5.) a "ghost in the machine... "

Now, with regards to the Program Monitor (only), it could be the Quality, or the Magnification setting. For the former, if you have it set to Automatic, try Highest. If Highest, then set to Automatic. For the latter, if set to Fit, look at it at 100%.

Hope I covered all bases, but a Bulldog puppy was eating my toes, I had many distractions -

Let us know about that vid-card, please, and good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Severe distortion of assets in Source and Program monitors.
                        hewiepro Level 1

Thanks Mr. Hunt...this may take awhile!...if you are not out walking the dog...and you are still there...

What is the "open GL" thing...

• 9. Re: Severe distortion of assets in Source and Program monitors.
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

OpenGL is a display mode that is supported by many video cards and by many Adobe programs. It is usually set from the card driver's console. Some cards implement it well, and many Adobe programs can use it. Some cannot, and having OpenGL set to Full (settings syntax will differ from card to card and likely driver to driver), and the card does not interface 100% with the Adobe program, display will suffer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Severe distortion of assets in Source and Program monitors.
                            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

What display quality are you using, Highest, Automatic or Draft?

-Jeff

• 11. Re: Severe distortion of assets in Source and Program monitors.
                              hewiepro Level 1

Thanks Mr. Hunt and also Mr. Shooternz for the help. This is my first time ever on a "forum" (can you tell?) and the first time i have really had to hunt down a computer "glitch" so this is a great lesson...

anyway...

I have been going thru the computer "system" section on the control panel…(am I looking in the right place for all this?..) and I think this is the vid-card:

1)Video Card

Legacy Video Capture Device. WDM Video for Windows Capture Driver (Win 32)

ROOT\MEDIAMS_MMVCD

2)Hardware Acceleration? Where is it and what does it look like????

3)Open GL….see second question on #2

4)nVidia modules…didn’t see any of those(isn’t that an outside vendor like "Legacy" above in #1??

5)Program Monitor size and quality….let me return to the .MOV file that I said "worked" a little….

…the Universal Leader has all the "right" settings matching up w/project settings and still was pixelated greatly in both Source and Program….etc…

the MOV file (see settings below) has a different Frame Size/Rate/and PAR (pixel aspect ratio…I’m starting to pick up the jargon here..) and was one of those short videos you take w/a digital camera…and doesn’t match the Project Settings at all.

And..

MOV plays fine in Source but not in Program…EXCEPT…when I was experimenting w/ Motion Effects….in Program Monitor and it came in fine when I clicked Motion Effects in the Program Monitor and I was also able to Scrub thru it on the Timeline…BUT …once I hit play on Timeline its back to scrambled eggs!!!

thanks again

.MOV file

Type: QuickTime Movie
                              File Size: 19.6 MB
                              Image Size: 320 x 240
                              Frame Rate: 30.00
                              Source Audio Format: 8000 Hz - 8 bit - Mono
                              Project Audio Format: 8000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Mono
                              Total Duration: 00:00:32:00
                              Average Data Rate: 628 KB / second
                              Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

Movie contains 1 video track(s), 1 audio track(s) and 0 timecode track(s).

Video:
                              There are 960 frames with a duration of 1/30th.

Video track 1:
                              Duration is 0:00:32:00
                              Average frame rate is 30.00 fps

Video track 1 contains 1 type(s) of video data:

Video data block #1:
                              Frame Size = 320 x 240
                              Compressor = Photo - JPEG
                              Quality = Normal (3.00)

Audio:
                              Audio track 1 contains 1 type(s) of audio data:

Audio data block #1:
                              Format = 8 bit - Mono
                              Rate = 8000.0000 Hz
                              Compressor = None

Thanks again

• 12. Re: Severe distortion of assets in Source and Program monitors.
                                hewiepro Level 1

Sorry about that last entry...llike i said ...all new to me....:).

I think i have experimented with all the "quality" settings and frame settings in both Source and Program and it doesn't  change the pixelization much...still effected thruout the whole frame.....

• 13. Re: Severe distortion of assets in Source and Program monitors.
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Don't worry about being new to the forum. All of us once were. We'll try to step you though.

For your Video card, there are several places to gather that info. Let's stay with Control Panel. Go to System>Hardware>Device Manager>Display Adapter. Hit the + symbol to see your video card(s). Dbl-click on it to get a tabbed box. Click on Driver, then look near the top of that box. You should see something like nVidia GeForce 8800M GTX (that's mine on the laptop) and below the Driver Date and Driver Version. Copy down all that data.

That will tell us what video card you have, the driver version # and its date.

Note: the steps/names above are for XP-Pro SP3. With a different OS, the exact syntax might differ a little bit, but you should be able to find those terms, or very similar.

That would be the first step, and we'll comment with suggestions, with that data.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Severe distortion of assets in Source and Program monitors.
                                    hewiepro Level 1

it looks like i have two devices:

Thanks

RADEON X600 256 MB HyperMemory

Device Type: Display adapters

Provider: ATI Technologies Inc.

Location: PCI SLOT 10 (PCI BUS 1, DEVICE 0 FUNCTION 0)

Date: 8/3/2003

Version: 8.162.0.0

Details:

Driver Provider: ATI Technologies Inc.

File Version: 6.14.10.0292

Copywright: 1998-2003 ATI Technologies Inc.

Digital signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatability

Details:

PCI\VEN\_1002&DEV_5B62&SUBSYS_06021002&REV_00\4&1A646D2D&0&0008

Everything is the same on #2 except what is written below. ...well, after the title lline....

RADEON X600 256 MB HyperMemory Secondary

PCI SLOT 10 (PCI BUS 1, DEVICE 0 FUNCTION 1)

Date: 8/3/2005

Details:

PCI\VEN\_1002&DEV_5B62&SUBSYS_06031002&REV_00\4&1A646D2D&0&0108

• 15. Re: Severe distortion of assets in Source and Program monitors.
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

It looks like you have a 7 year old driver. That is probably 80+ driver releases ago. I would go to the ATI Web site and find the latest driver.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Severe distortion of assets in Source and Program monitors.
                                        hewiepro Level 1

Thanks again for the continuing

help!!

Went to ATI and downloaded:

ATI Catalyst Display Driver

Version 10.2 (legacy support structure)

10-2_legacy_xp32-64_dd_ccc

advanced Micro Devices

CATALYST 10-02.

2  questions:

It didn't download the .exe file...is that a big deal??

I didn't direct it to any specific folder...i just let it download...should i redirect??

i did a couple prelliminary tests...still the same result...no apparent changes....

• 17. Re: Severe distortion of assets in Source and Program monitors.
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

All of my current cards are nVidia, so I do not know exactly what is required with ATI drivers. Someone else can direct you.

After your update, did your Hardware dialog screen show the new driver?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Severe distortion of assets in Source and Program monitors.
                                            hewiepro Level 1

Mr. Hunt ...you have been great...for my first

issue/expereience w/forums ...it couldn't get better...thx.

i have to go out of town and i am not that mobile yet....

willl they shut this thread down if not posted to for 4 days+ ??

should i start a new discussion re: my driver issues ??

• 19. Re: Severe distortion of assets in Source and Program monitors.
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

The thread is safe. Unless Adobe makes a major changeover in their forum software (is not supposed to happen), it will be here, when you get back. Now, some folk might have more info to offer, so do not be surprised if there are a couple new replies.

Hunt