4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2010 8:17 PM by allenfeiglin

My adobe air is damaged

krissytrudell

it keeps telling me to update my adobe air file. then it says it is damaged, and to contact author for new one. I have tried unistalling and reinstalling a new one. it keeps saying the same thing

• 1. Re: My adobe air is damaged
          Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Use the forum for Adobe AIR.

• 2. Re: My adobe air is damaged
            pwillener Level 8

Or just uninstall it, if you are not using it.

• 3. Re: My adobe air is damaged
              Daveejay Level 1

I had the same problem. The advice I got from Adobe support (after a three day wait) fixed it.

1. Windows: Uninstall the previous version of Adobe Help by using the Add or Remove Programs utility

Macintosh: Remove and trash the application from the Applications>Adobe folder

2. Windows: Delete the following directory: %appdata%/chc.4875E02D9FB21EE389F73B8D1702B320485DF8CE.1 (copy and paste the phrase above into the Windows Explorer file manager)

Macintosh: Go Home>Library>Preferences and delete chc.4875E02D9FB21EE389F73B8D1702B320485DF8CE.1 (As it happened I couldn't find this file on my mac, but stage #1 had fixed the problem anyway).

3. IMPORTANT: Empty the Trash or Recycling Bin to ensure proper removal of all files.

4. Manually update the application by downloading the Air file from: http://www.adobe.com/support/chc/

Additional information:

This installation error has been observed under two conditions:

1. If a user has an older prerelease or beta version of a Creative Suite 5 application previously installed

2. If a user simultaneously updates the AIR runtime at the same time as updating the Adobe Help application. The Adobe Help application is built and managed using the Adobe AIR framework. Because Adobe AIR has its own installation and uninstallation procedures, Adobe Help application updates are independent of the CS5 installer itself. There is no need to uninstall the entire Creative Suite or any associated product to resolve this issue.

• 4. Re: My adobe air is damaged
                allenfeiglin

I have had the same problem several times. At one point the phone support did find the file to remove from the preferences and it fixed it. Today the problem happened again and I tried to recreate the fix. In doing so I stumbled upon my own fix.

1. Create a new user account, call it adobefix, as an administrator with no passwords. You can delete the account later.

2. Log out and log into the new account.

3. Go to Applications/Utilities/Adobe Air Uninstall and run it.

4. Test your Adbobe air using any part of CS5. If it does not work and the error message does not come up, reinstall Adobe Air. Test again.

5. My Dreamweaver Help worked immediately after the uninstall because Air was already there. This tells me that the Air Updater/ CS5 Application Updaters are installing a second version of Air or a file that tells Air it is schizophrenic.

6. Log out and back into your normal user account. Test a CS app again for help.

Hope this helps.

Allen