9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2010 9:25 PM by shooternz

Converting Stereo Bitmap Pairs into 3D Video

meerkat2040

Now that the Blu-ray 3D spec has been out for a few months I'm wondering if Adobe will be adding any 3D video support to Premiere and Encore.

I've been doing 2D animations created from Windows .BMP image sequences.  Now I'm starting to do 3D animations, and the process for creating stereo pairs is really easy, as you just re-render each frame for each eye.

I would like to be able to have a sequence of bitmaps where the bitmaps are ordered in stereo pairs then I would be able to import into Premiere like an ordinary image sequence except with stereo video tracks that can be exported to h.264 MVC for eventually 3D video authoring to Blu-ray from Encore.

Does anyone know when this type of functionality will be available?  Are there any other consumer-level programs that can do this as of today?  I'm sure there are a lot of us out here who would like to see our 3D visualizations on the new 3D HDTVs that are now selling for around $1500 for 40" models.  So the market is definitely developing.

• 1. Re: Converting Stereo Bitmap Pairs into 3D Video
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

My guess would be that it will be at least CS6 (CS5 coming about April 12th). CS5 was well into development, when the 3D specs. were being written and finalized. Things like this take time.

Now, maybe an Adobe employee will step us and tell us that it is in CS5, but there has been no mention.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Converting Stereo Bitmap Pairs into 3D Video
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Meerkat,

They said that you were a person of "few words," but this might be too few...

Hunt

• 4. Re: Converting Stereo Bitmap Pairs into 3D Video
              meerkat2040 Level 1

Sorry about that.  Guess when e-mailing a reply the text should go someplace other than where I put it!  Here's what the original message said:

Thanks, Hunt.  That sucks.

We 3D content creators are going to be chomping at the bit for that one.

Avatar was my first real experience with 3D without the ugly red/blue  glasses.  Of course, after seeing that, I started drooling over the new  240Hz Samsung LED TVs.  They are actually priced at a point where even  I, as a student, can afford to get one just for the sheer fun of see my own animations in 3D.  But it won't be much fun if I can't do that.  Guess by the time the authoring tools are available the prices on the  HDTVs will be significantly less, so that's a bonus.

Maybe Premiere CS5 will get an update at some point that adds 3D editing functionality before CS6.  The programming for a quick version of the editor shouldn't be too difficult, as you just show the left or right frame on the screen and just display every other frame in the sequence.  As for having a 3D computer monitor and editing while watching the video in 3D, I think that's overkill.  FRAPS has an .AVI extension for capturing stereo video from DirectX cards that are in stereovision mode, so maybe they could start by supporting a very simple .AVI implementation of 3D.

Now updating Encore and Adobe Media Encoder to support h.264 MVC will be a whole different ball game.  That will take some time, unless they have a flock of hyperactive geniuses on their development team!

• 5. Re: Converting Stereo Bitmap Pairs into 3D Video
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for the clarification. I kept thinking "invisible ink?"

Much will depend on the Adobe marketing team's survey of the possible market. Some software companies jump to the front of the line with every innovation. Some of these stick, and some prove to be fads. Adobe takes a bit more of a "wait and see" attitude. Formats, like AVCHD and editing VOB's were actually first introduced in PrElements, as they were considered more "consumer formats." PrPro got both later on.

Now, if 3D takes off, I am sure that Adobe will be following along - when the numbers justify. It took Photoshop many years to include 3D in the Extended version. I was doing 3D painting going back 15 years.

BTW - several good friends in the home theater business at the highest levels reported back from CES. To the person, each said, "3D TV is a form that will need to be improved upon. It is not ready for prime-time yet." Two thought that the potential was great and maybe by next generation. The other was more skeptical, and doubted that it would catch on.

Now, that should not stop innovation. Holography still has potential, especially if it is interactive. It's been around for well over a decade, but the implementation has been highly resistant. Someday, we might have it, but were I Adobe, I'd have a few tech folk thinking about it and reading every whitepaper on the subject.

Considering the stockholders, and the general economy, I'd not dump all resources into 3D, just yet.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Converting Stereo Bitmap Pairs into 3D Video
                  meerkat2040 Level 1

Words of wisdom.  Thanks for the insight.  Guess the tech websites are more enthusiastic about the new gadgets than the serious business people who have their eyes on the bottom line.

• 7. Re: Converting Stereo Bitmap Pairs into 3D Video
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

This often happens, though that is not to diminish those who are looking beyond the here-n-now. That is what "venture capital" is for. Without those innovators, we'd still be trying to fit Video onto a 8" floppy, or a cassette tape!

OTOH - when you have investors, or stockholders, ROI comes into play. When the bet pays off, it pays dividends. When it does not, then the president, the CEO, the CFO and the chairman, plus other board members, are out on the curb.

Anyone remember www.pets.com? Anyone remember that revolutionary RAM (what the heck was it called?), where one needed to buy twice as much and get almost twice the speed? That was the one, where the financial analyst was on their payroll, and wrote tons of glowing articles. Think that he might be serving time, in the cell next to Bernie Madoff.

Making a bundle off of cutting-edge technology is like playing the Lottery. Some people win, but many more do not.

I am not casting aspersions on 3D, as it exists. I am old enough to remember the one of the earliest 3D motion pictures, Bwana Devil. I also witnessed many other, including The Steweress 3D, which, I believe was the first X-rated 3D motion picture. I even sat through a 3D version of Andy Warhol's Frankenstein. I also recall some Saturday morning cartoon program, that required one to place a sheet of acetate on the TV screen and could be viewed with special glasses, that one got with 5 box-tops and a couple of $'s from a cereal company. My father would not allow me to stick the acetate to our TV, but I did view on a neighbor's. Not much 3D, especially compared to the View-Master discs. from that era.

Back in the early days, horror was the genre of choice, and some of the effects were interesting. Still, it was not until later on, at Disney, that I got the full impact of 3D. Actually, Disney carried it beyond, as not only did they have the visual, but they added other aspects, like being squirted with water (Disney is intent on getting people wet), and seats that shook, plus different things, like rat tails choreographed to tickle viewers sequentially down rows of seats. I'd experienced the vibrating seats with Tingler, and some '50s horror features, but Disney did take it to a new level.

The best that I have experienced was Universal Studios' Terminator 3D. Not sure how the normal "show" went, but we were there for the Wharton School of Business event, so they may have pulled out "all the stops" for this presentation. That was 100% immersive. Job well done Disney/Universal.

Just some historical observations and guesses,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Converting Stereo Bitmap Pairs into 3D Video
                      shooternz Level 6
                      Avatar was my first real experience with 3D without the ugly red/blue  glasses

Where and how did you see it maximised in 3D then?

• 9. Re: Converting Stereo Bitmap Pairs into 3D Video
                        meerkat2040 Level 1

My local theater just got upgraded to the new all digital RealD projection system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RealD_Cinema

The polarised glasses are great for letting all the colors remain unchanged, however since they effectively block half the light from each eye the experience is slightly darker than non-3D.  Not sure where they get their projectors or how much they cost, but I was really impressed with how bright the picture was compared to my old experiences with LCD projectors showing commercials before the movie started.