6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2010 8:52 AM by Harm Millaard

Still images pixelation

RAFC_1990

Well i am quite new to Premiere just to let you know. Using CS4.

The problem is i have added a logo to my video in premiere, when i insert it into the timeline it seems to scale it down in accordance to the small screen its showing in which seems fine. But when i export the image as an avi file the logo looks very pixelated when in fact the size of it is around the original size so shouldnt be streched anyway.

I hope someone has a solution for me, also how come the avi file sizes are so big? I mean 831mb for a 4 minute clip!

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Still images pixelation
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Some suggestions... and answer at least the 16 questions at the end of the Wiki article.

• 2. Re: Still images pixelation
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Can you please give the complete details on the image that you are using as a logo - pixel x pixel size and file format?

Then, please let us know about your Project/Sequence Preset and the full details of the source footage, where the logo is going.

When you say Exporting to AVI, can you list the full specs. that you are Exporting to. AVI can mean so very, very much and a lot of it different. This ARTICLE will give you some tips on what can be in an AVI.

Good luck, and we'll be looking for those details,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Still images pixelation
              RAFC_1990 Level 1

The image is a jpg that i created in photoshop, 330px x 90px when imported into the video i scale the image smaller so it fits better in relation with the video so i wouldnt have thoght there shouldnt be a problem with it.

The video clips are mp4 files that we have been given, they have the video and audio in video 1 and audio 1 respectively and then i have added the logo in video 2 then i have another image in video 3. Dont really know what else to say about them.

I exported the video as microsoft avi using PAL DV preset, not aware what the diffrence between them all or if it should make a diffrence? appart from PAL is European?

Im told i should do it into mov(quick time) for smaller file sizes?

Thanks for your help hope you can help some more.

• 4. Re: Still images pixelation
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Answer #1 and the questions linked to.

• 5. Re: Still images pixelation
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

As a test, can you go back into PS and choose Image New, then the PAL Preset (from the dropdown) that matches your Project, i.e. 4:3 or 16:9. Set Background to Transparent. Open your Logo file and just drag the Layer to the New Image. Position the logo approximately where you want it, and Scale it, if necessary. I use Ctrl+T (Free Transform) for this, holding down Shift to Constrain Proportions. One can position the Layer from within the Bounding Box in Free Transform.

Now, Save_As .PSD. Import that into PrPro as Footage (so that the Layers are Flattened). Drag that to Video 2. If necessary, you can still do some Effect>Motion>Position, or Motion>Scale, but should not have to do much of this.

When done, hit Enter (maybe using the WAB - Work Area Bar, to limit the area of the Timeline to be Rendered) to Render this. Test in Program Monitor, with Quality set to Highest and Magnification set to 100%.

Now, Export (here I would use the WAB to limit to just a small section. If you are going to DV-AVI, make sure that Recompress is OFF.

Let us know how this test works, and good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Still images pixelation
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Bill, this newbie, as he descriped himself, may be running Linux for all I know or an underpowered Mac. Everything is in the dark now and all we can do is guess, but my guess is that he wants to have his problems solved, not a month long guessing game. He has to help us help him. EOS.

BTW, if he is worried about 831 MB, that is indicative of insufficient hardware. Who worries about 20 GB more or less?