22 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2010 11:44 AM by the_wine_snob

Saving clips as multiple files

epanska

Hi -

I am currently using an evaluation copy of Premiere Elements to see if it will fit my purpose.  I have a long movie file that I am trying to break up into much smaller chapters.  I was able to import the video and to split the file into about 25 different clips.  Is there a quick way to save a clip (or even better multiple clips) as individual movie files?  If not, would I just delete the unwanted clips and export the smaller part and repeat this process until I have the project completed?

Thanks for your help with this,

Elizabeth

• 1. Re: Saving clips as multiple files
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Elizabeth,

You can Export/Share to a file that can be Imported into a new Project. You can limit what is included from one Clip, to multiple contiguous Clips with the WAB (Work Area Bar). The format/CODEC that you choose will be predicated on your source footage and your Project Preset. Can you tell us more about both of these?

As for the WAB, this will show you where it is, and give some tips on how to use it:

WAB_Info_01.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Saving clips as multiple files
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There is a manual way to do it in Premiere Elements -- manually saving each segment as an individual AVI.

But if you're looking for an automatic way, check out a program called Scenalyzer, at Scenalyzer.com. It automatically break up a clip into smaller clips based on scenes, time, etc.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Saving clips as multiple files
              nealeh Level 5
              • I didn't get on too well with Scenalyzer and so think €34 over-priced. This may be because it didn't do too great a job taking output directly via my ADVC300 rather than a camcorder.
              • The freeware 'SolveigMM AVI Trimmer' can do the job but the manual effort is on a par with the equivalent in PRE.
              • Yet again Magix Movies on DVD comes to the rescue with its simple mechanism to split into scenes and then batch export each scene as a single DV-AVI 2. It does this with 'smart rendering' so no quality loss.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Saving clips as multiple files
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

For many Scenalyzer Live is considered to be the Capture module that Adobe should have gone with.

Also, there is the free Scenealyzer and then the shareware Scenelyzer Live.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Saving clips as multiple files
                  Gazz52 Level 1

Hello Bill,

Could you please clarify the process to import a section of a project. In particular "Export/Share". If I understood this step correctly you meant File>Export>Share. However if this is the process you are recommending, my Export function is "greyed out" and so is not available to use... or is it another function within PRE8 which I should be using.

Thanks,

Gary

• 6. Re: Saving clips as multiple files
                    nealeh Level 5

In PRE8 the export feature is now in the 'Share' tab. The File> Export that remains is for exporting Titles.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale

• 7. Re: Saving clips as multiple files
                      Gazz52 Level 1

Hi Neale,

I am still not able to achieve what I think you are suggesting. Let me

explain... I have a project comprising many clips; I want to create a video

file for a part of the project, let us say 3 contiguous clips; I position

the WAB over these 3 clips then select the Share tab and then...    what

step is next?

Thanks,

Gary

• 8. Re: Saving clips as multiple files
                        Gazz52 Level 1

Hello Neale,

Please disregard my previous e-mail. I did not "see" the "Share WorkArea

Bar" tick box. Silly mistake! All OK now.

Thanks,

Gary

• 9. Re: Saving clips as multiple files
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Gary,

Glad that you saw that. It is not all THAT obvious, and many others have missed it, as well.

I do recommend that people watch the WAB, as it can easily be set to smaller portions of the Timeline. Many have gotten hung up on this, when they try to Render the Timeline, but only a portion gets Rendered - usually the WAB is set to a smaller portion of it.

The WAB trick that I like is to hit the \ [Backslash key] to zoom out to the full Timeline and then look at the WAB. In the middle is a little square with some vertical lines. Dbl-click that, to expand the WAB for the entire Timeline.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Saving clips as multiple files
                            epanska Level 1

Bill, thanks for this.  Even with the screenshot, it took me a while to figure out how the parts all went together but now I think I've got it.  This is not an easy program to just to jump in and go . . . . without the help on the forum I thnk 'evaluating' would have been a lost cause.

• 11. Re: Saving clips as multiple files
                              gunnar9

I have read these postings over and over and am still trying to get my head around what is being said and what is not being said.  I have PE7 and am a neophyte yet, still trying to figure my way around.  The question that has been asked in multiple postings over and over is whether there is an easy way to export multiple clips at the same time, which I'm still trying to get my head around because it seems different information comes at each place.  I get/understand the "multiple contiguous export" option stated here using the in and out marker on the timeline for 1 or more clips.  The question I am unclear on is whether multiple non-contiguous clips can be exported to mpeg, dv-avi, or some other format.  I know many have suggested why bother, create and tag subclips (a process I will need to learn next).  Setting that question aside for the time being, I am assuming that on the timeline there is only 1 in and 1 out marker for the purpose of exporting clips (not for making movie chapters or other kinds of segmentation).  If I am incorrect here, how do I add additional ins and outs easily and is that only do-able on the timeline (as compared to the sceneline)?  If I right-click on the timeline, I can add a menu marker, a beat marker, or a timeline marker.  I assume that none of those three markers are for or serve the specific purpose I am trying to do or is that an incorrect understanding?  I have already manually used the trim feature to separate my original video into clips based upon content/date (the original source is from analog video so I don't have time stamping, I am aware of Scenealyzer but haven't used it as my files are still mostly in .vob format having been recorded to a DVD for the purpose of getting them digitized).

I have an export under the file menu and a share tab for "sharing/exporting."  Still not clear on which of those would do what I am asking, if it is possible, or the differences between the two.

Thanks for any clarications.

• 12. Re: Saving clips as multiple files
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

With non-contiguous material on the same Timeline, one must do multiple Export/Shares, one for each segment. There is no real, direct way to do otherwise.

One possible workaround, would be to use a Clipboard enhancer, like ClipMate. Then, one would do a Copy of each segment, then using ClipMate, Paste THAT into a new Project's Timeline - repeating, as is necessary. Remember, you an ONLY have one instance of PrE running at a time, and can ONLY have one Project open at a time, so one has to toggle between at least two Projects, the original source, and then the destination Project. I have never used ClipMate, so cannot comment on any possible issues, or limitations.

Another workflow would be to take your original Project, do a Save_As, to preserve the original, then to go in, and Delete all segments, that are not wanted, so that you no longer would have non-contiguous segments - all would not be contiguous. Export/Share that new Project's altered Timeline.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Saving clips as multiple files
                                  gunnar9 Level 1

Thanks Hunt.  Also, if I may, one more point for clarification.  It seems that even with multiple contiguous clips, that the an export or share of these multiple contiguous clips yields only one exported clip.  Is that correct?  At least that's what I seem to come up with in my experimenting, unless I'm missing something.

• 14. Re: Saving clips as multiple files
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

You are correct. The resultant Clip will contain all the contiguous "parts." The use of the WAB (Work Area Bar) can limit the Export to just segments for many (but not all) formats.

Now, I do not know if a program, like ScenAlyzer Live, would be useful for breaking that single file apart. It is most often used as a Capture utility, and works very well. However, it can break larger files down to "scenes," but I imagine that it would detect ALL scenes, and split them apart, and NOT just the ones that you might want.

If I have a larger file, made up from many contiguous Clips, and will want to easily break those out later, I will add a short piece of Color Matte, choosing a bright, easily seen color, so I know exactly where one Clip ends, and the next begins. Those DO have to be Cut out later, but they help me find things quickly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Saving clips as multiple files
                                      nealeh Level 5

Magix products (I have Magix Movies on DVD) allow you to import a single file, split it into clips and then export each single clip as a separate DV-AVI Type 2 file. It smart renders so you won't lose any quality. You can easily and cheaply pick up older products from their range.

Cheers,
                                      --
                                      Neale

• 16. Re: Saving clips as multiple files
                                        gunnar9 Level 1

Neale, since you brought up "smart rendering," let me push a little more for additional clarity.  The Magix product(s) sounds very much like I would like to have the freedom to do easily (and without losing quality). 

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this next part as I'll just state what I think I have gathered from the many posts I've dug through trying to get clarity.  Initially, without access to a digital camcorder as a "bridge???" to get my analog camcorder videos to digital, I purchased a consumer level Sony DVD recorder which I used to digitize my analog camcorder files.  This created DVD movies with multiple .vob files to contain all the data. I ended up literally copying those files from the DVDs to an external drive (not sure if that was the right move).  Pre7 would open up some of those videos but not all of them.  It would not accept the first .vob segments which I postulate is because it probably holds the movie menu portions.  Following other posts' suggestions, I used the command prompt on one or two of those to "concatenate" the multiple .vob files into one file.  These larger files would not open as a .vob file which I assume is related to the movie menu aspects that were incorporated in the DVD making.  Even Windows Media Player wouldn't open these files.  However, if I changed the file tag from .vob to its "closely related" cousin .mpg, it would open in Windows Media Player though it still couldn't be brought into Pre7.  This sent me into a search for software that would could remove the movie aspects and turn it into a file that was readily playable in WMP, Nero Express, and Pre7.  That has been the big challenge.  Not sure exactly what the right solution is but am currently experimenting with Super, MPEG Streamclip, and DVD Decrypter. 

The specific question I started out to ask, however, has to do with choice of file types, compression, and retaining sound/image quality.  My understanding is that .mpg and other formats use compression such that each time you use a software to open and to render or export/share, you add another layer of compression, which essentially adds another digital generation and loss of signal quality.  However, If I export to DV-AVI (with greater fidelity and less signal loss), I cannot open the file in Windows Media Player, Nero Express, or it seems other consumer level players easily.  Therefore, the value of DV-AVI is simply usability in Pre7 and in not losing signal quality.  However, I'm trading off being able to easily share those clips with others or to open them outside of Pre7 excepting with one of these specialized players.  I'd like to split out clips as you stated Magix would do without losing quality so that I can recombine them easily in ways that make more sense to me as I have lots of different footage.  As the original video is analog and was digitized into .vob, which is a close cousin to .mpg and is therefore already compromised, would it not make sense to split it through some software without additional rendering and keep it in the almost original .vob/.mpg format?  It seems that the DV-AVI files take up a lot more space than .mpg anyhow. OR is it as I suggested earlier that each time one uses or renders .mpg that additional signal loss is created through the compression processes?

I tried to express it as best as I understand at this point.  Any clarity on this whole .mpg vs dv-avi issue as pertains to the situation stated above and the effect of signal loss would be helpful.  Also helpful would be any comments as to the inacessibility of the DV-AVI format in some/many/most commonly used consumer-level players would be helpful so I know if I'm on the right or wrong track.  Thank you all for your sharing your experience and knowledge with me.

• 17. Re: Saving clips as multiple files
                                          nealeh Level 5

Gunnar9,

You've pretty much got it nailed down.

MPG is a highly compressed format. It's what exists inside a VOB file and is playable on DVD Players. When you load those mpg files to PRE they are already compressed. When you then use PRE to share them to DVD or MPEG they will be compressed again.

PRE itself is based around DV-AVI Type 2 material (I'm limiting this response to Standard definition material only). This runs at around 12GB per hour of footage and is almost lossless. But it is a format for processing and archiving - not recommended for sharing.

It's unfortunate that you couldn't get your camcoder to act as the bridge as that would have produced a good quality source. The VHS/DVD combo's will, as you have seen, produce a compressed output. You can find recommendations for analog/digital converters in the FAQ.

Cheers,
                                          --
                                          Neale

• 18. Re: Saving clips as multiple files
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

It is likely that the VOB's, that did not Import properly, had some form of navigation and Menuing added to them. Most DVR units do this, and it can create issues. Often, the DVD-Videos created by those decks will only play properly in that same make/model deck, and have issues with many DVD players. This ARTICLE will give you some background.

Also, when using a workflow that consists of digitizing from analog to DVD (MPEG-2 inside the VOB wrapper), one has already imposed one fairly heavy compression to MPEG-2. Smart Rendering can be very helpful then, but there are limitations. If one is just Trimming and moving Clips, all is good. When one adds a Transition, any form of overlay (Title, PiP, etc.), or Effects, then the material, in those areas, will have to be re-Rendered. This ARTICLE will give you some tips on workflow. With your DVD deck, you have probably already moved beyond its scope, however.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Saving clips as multiple files
                                              daqui2

Hi

I am a newbie to Premier Elements (v9) too and like a few others, I too cannot get my head around what I think should be a simple operation.  I have 20 Hi8 digital tapes that are near 20 years old and i need to create a better archive.  I want to backup onto DVDs but in editable .AVI format (or whatever format will be best as a master file).  I captured a tape successfully and it is in one humungus .avi file on my hard drive.  I broke it into 10 clips and I want to create a seperate file for each clip on my hard drive, once done I want to copy the files to a DVD.  But for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to save a clip as a seperate file.  Can any one shed light on this?

Thanks

Lost in the digital fog.

• 20. Re: Saving clips as multiple files
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Let's step back a bit. DV-AVI is a great format w/ the MS DV CODEC. It creates files that will Import perfectly into any Adobe NLE (Non Linear Editor), and the quality is great. The files edit like a hot knife through butter. It does not get any better for SD (Standard Def) Projects. BUT, and it's a big BUT, the files are large, at ~ 13GB per hour. Keep that figure in mind.

DVD's come in two common flavors now: DVD-5's at around 4.7GB of storage, and DVD-9's (commonly referred to as DL - Double Layer) at around 8.5GB of storage. As you can see, a DL DVD-Data will only be able to hold about a 40 min. DV-AVI. There are backup/archiving programs, that will allow one to span DVD's, BUT (always that word), they write in proprietary compressed form, so one must then use those same programs to go the other way, and decompress those spanned files to the computer, prior to Import and Edit. This is a very slow operation, and can hold hidden problems, especially as large AV files do not compress much.

My suggestion would be to pick up an external HDD. One can get a high-quality 1TB external for not that much. After the Holidays, there will probably be sales at places like the Western Digital Store. I use a bunch of those to archive my large AV files. These offer a lot of storage capacity, are easy to hook up and work with, and are much, much faster than reading from a DVD.

Now, there is a caveat to that suggestion. The most common external connection is USB. For just archiving, that is fine, however it is not viable for editing to/from. The speed of that connection is an issue. When editing, files flow both directions very quickly - too quickly for the USB to keep up. One often gets read/write errors, including the dreaded Delayed Write Failure. This can lead to corruption of the files in process, and maybe even ALL of the files on the external. I ONLY recommend USB as a storage device, and that one Copy the files over to the internal HDD's for the actual editing. As an archiving device, they are great - just do not edit to/from. The same for a NAS (Network Attached Storage) unit. They do not seem to suffer from the read/write errors, but they are just too slow to edit to/from. Now, the next connection is FireWire 400, IEEE-1394. They are much more stable, and a bit faster than USB, though I still find them too slow to edit to/from. Next is FW-800, IEEE-1394b. Those units are fast enough to edit to/from. Last, there is eSATA, which is ideal, and in the real world is almost as fast as working with internal HDD's. Both of the latter two will likely require a controller card, whether PCIe, or ExpressCard, for a laptop. Newer computers are starting to offer FW-800 and/or eSATA connections.

Now, I am heavily invested in FW-800 external HDD's, and use them to migrate many Projects between computers. They work great. With my new computers, I will be adding eSATA, but will also have FW-800 connectors for my legacy externals.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 21. Re: Saving clips as multiple files
                                                  daqui2 Level 1

Thanks Bill, that was VERY helpful!  I think I have given up on the idea of copying to DVD (too many, too long, too big) and your idea of using an external hard drive as'storage only' (unless I get a FW800 or eSATA connection) makes a lot of sense.  My worry is if the HD crashes, then they are all gone, but I guess I should get 2 hard drives, one as the backup.

So I take it, I should save everything to C: and once I have identified the raw clips for each tape (easier to find scenes for later), then copy everything onto the external storage device.  If I do this and copy the files onto C: for working on projects, but Iall the clips have already been marked, is the file that keeps track of the clip in/out points  (not sure if this is the log or prel file) going to get confused?  ie.  Should I save everything , all .avi's, all log and prel files created for one tape, into one folder on C: and copy the whole folder to the storage hard drive and then back to drive C: or will file pointers get all confused?  I am guessing I need to create a work folder and make sure I copy back to the work folder (same file path as when I orioginally saved it) when i want to work on it.

Is DV-AVI the same as DV NTSC standard?  If not, the options I habe are DV NTSC Standard, DV NTSCWidescreen, (PAL options, but we'll ignore them) , Microsft AVI, and uncompressed Microsfot AVI.

Daqi

• 22. Re: Saving clips as multiple files
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Daqi,

There are three elements at work here:

1. The original Asset files, uncut, unedited
                                                    2. The Project used to edit, and create the Trimmed Assets, IN the Project
                                                    3. The Exported/Shared AV files from that/those Project(s)

Personally, and as a form of a backup, I would first Copy all of the original Asset files to a safe place, and then, when the Project is complete, use the Project Archiver to Save everything, again to a safe place. This gives you basically two forms of backup. The Project Archiver can be set to just gather up the Assets, as used in the Project, and I strongly recommend doing so with Handles. [Note: I use PrPro's Project Manager, which is similar, but has differences. I am not 100% with all the possible settings in PrE's Project Archiver. Others can step you through the settings.]

I like having all possible working elements archived. When doing most Projects, I have my Assets archived onto a RAID NAS, for redundant backup, and ONLY work with Copies of those Assets in my Project. That gives me a couple of levels of backup already. It does require more additional storage, but I have had to step back, when things went wrong. Having the Assets available has been like a net to a trapeze artist.

Good luck,

Hunt