6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2010 2:51 PM by Bill_Janes

Color temp increments

dcsimages

Just a quick question regarding the color temp slider.

Using the slider or arrow keys moves the color temp in 50 degree increments.

The field will accept numerical inputs in 1 degree increments.

Does the color temp adjustment actually have this degree of control?

Dave Smith

• 1. Re: Color temp increments
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Depending on the camera and the initial starting point of the adjustment, yes. Note however the Kelvin scale is a thermodynamic (absolute) temperature scale...so, 10 units in the ranges below 55K are not exactly the same scale as 10 units above 55K ranges.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Color temp increments
            dcsimages Level 1

Hi Jeff

Thanks a bunch.

I wanted to know because I'm doing some timelapses at dawn tomorrow, shooting raw on the 5D and I thought it might be nice to start off with a 2000K balance and gradually shift to daylight as sunrise approaches. I think 50 degree increments would jump too abruptly but as long as I can make the adjustments in much smaller increments it'll work well. Now I wish there was a script I could use to fill in the numbers automatically :-)

Dave

• 3. Re: Color temp increments
              MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Hi Dave, an alternate approach would be to use a fixed white balance for the entire sequence, since this would provide an interesting overview of how the color balance changes naturally during a sunrise. Just a suggestion ...

• 4. Re: Color temp increments
                Robert Shomler Level 4

If I were doing it and had the time I would try both.  A single fixed white balance value, save a snapshot; then incremental balance, save a second snapshot.

• 5. Re: Color temp increments
                  dcsimages Level 1

But Eric, that's what "everyone" does ;-)

Seriously though, I like the electric blue sky you get pre dawn when shooting with a tungsten setting but as the sun starts to come up it looks artificially cool. I want to get that rich blue and have it slowly transition to a neutral balance which will then get warmer when the sun breaks the horizon.

Dave

• 6. Re: Color temp increments
                    Bill_Janes Level 2

dcsimages wrote:

I wanted to know because I'm doing some timelapses at dawn tomorrow, shooting raw on the 5D and I thought it might be nice to start off with a 2000K balance and gradually shift to daylight as sunrise approaches. I think 50 degree increments would jump too abruptly but as long as I can make the adjustments in much smaller increments it'll work well. Now I wish there was a script I could use to fill in the numbers automatically :-)

Dave

The Kelvin scale is highly nonlinear with regard to human perception. The mired scale is more perceptually uniform. See this Wikipedia link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature