7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2010 10:49 PM by Curt Wrigley

Best exporting settings for Youtube?

Ryanneedshelp27 Level 1

I have finished my movie and I don't know which settings would be best for uploading into YouTube as HD.

The video in my movie is shot in AVCHD 1920 x1080.

I tried looking up on YouTube for documents (and on user-made videos) the best settings to choose, but whatever information I find is either incorrect or outdated.

Can you help me?

- Using Adobe Premiere Pro CS 4

• 1. Re: Best exporting settings for Youtube?
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

H.264 then choose the youtube HD preset.

And note that as soon as you upload to youtube, youtube allows you to play it back; but it will look horrible.   It takes another 20 minutes or so for youtube to fully process the file then it will add the HD playback options and you will see it looks much better.

• 2. Re: Best exporting settings for Youtube?
            Ryanneedshelp27 Level 1

http://www.youtube.com/t/howto_makevideo (was what I used for my test video that turned out looking horrendous on youtube's video player)

Are you sure H.264, because google-youtube, said that MPEG-4 is the best for YouTube, but I reiterrate that sometimes google-youtube is inaccurate, so I don't know?

And I don't see the Youtube HD preset.

I see:

NTSC DV

NTSC DV Widescreen

NTSC DV Widescreen 24p

NTSC DV 24p

PAL DV Widescreen

PAL DV

And when you said H.264 did you mean for the "Format" or the "Video Codec"

And what should I make for the width and height, because I made it 640-480 (as referenced by google-youtube's website)

and it turned out not even properly fitting in Youtube's video player!

And should I do 30 FPS?

Err... and last thing; what should I put for "Aspect"

Should I print screen or can you help me with words alone?

• 3. Re: Best exporting settings for Youtube?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

MP4 is H.264. Now, there are many H.264 CODEC's. Many have had better results for Lead's, or MainConcept's, over Apple's. Which one do you have instaled.

Also, YouTube changes the "rules" quite often. One needs to check with them. Also, as Curt points out, it takes them a bit to encode to their settings du jour.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Best exporting settings for Youtube?
                shooternz Level 6

You really do need a lot of help Ryan!

You should have edited your project by matching what you shot with a matching preset.

What you have done ...

because I made it 640-480

is a major mistake.  (Your footage is not dv.)

The Youtube encode  preset as advised is correct.  You will find it in the H264 encode options.

You will need to fix your timeline first.

• 5. Re: Best exporting settings for Youtube?
                  Curt Wrigley Level 4

You are making it too hard.

You are starting with HD Widescreen video.  I assume you are editing it in an AVCHD sequence to match.

So; export using ame; choose X.264 as the format and "Youtube widescreen hd" as the preset.   Thats it.  Dont mess with anything else.

• 6. Re: Best exporting settings for Youtube?
                    Ryanneedshelp27 Level 1

"MP4 is H.264. Now, there are many  H.264 CODEC's. Many have had better results for Lead's, or  MainConcept's, over Apple's. Which one do you have instaled.

Also,  YouTube changes the "rules" quite often. One needs to check with them.  Also, as Curt points out, it takes them a bit to encode to their  settings du jour.

Good luck,

Hunt"

You're right, I looked at something else and that confused me and probably confused you (the helpers) even more, so sorry!

Which one do you have instaled.

- I'm not sure what you're asking, but I don't think it matters anymore.

Also,  YouTube changes the "rules" quite often. One needs to check with them.  Also, as Curt points out, it takes them a bit to encode to their  settings du jour.

- Yes YouTube changes their rules often, but I can't find YouTube's properly organized specifications and that is why I'm having even more trouble, but thank you so much.

You really do need a lot of help Ryan!

You should have edited your project  by matching what you shot with a matching preset.

What you  have done ...

I did match the preset, what I meant was when I'm exporting it THEN I changed it...

The Youtube encode  preset as  advised is correct.  You will find it in the H264 encode options.

You will  need to fix your timeline first.

I think you got confused by my diction, but you still helped me so THANK YOU! :]

You are making it too hard.

You are  starting with HD Widescreen video.  I assume you are editing it in an  AVCHD sequence to match.

So; export using ame; choose X.264 as the format  and "Youtube widescreen hd" as the preset.   Thats it.  Dont mess with  anything else.

Simple and clear, thank you.

Should I change the width x height, or keep it as 1280 x 720 (which is the preset under H.264 - Youtube Widescreen HD)?

• 7. Re: Best exporting settings for Youtube?
                      Curt Wrigley Level 4

Keep it; it should be fine.   If you want to see what it will look like frame size wise; click on the "Output" tab in AME and you will see it resized per your settings.

To speed testing; test with a 10 second clip.  Once you are satisfied the same settings will work on the whole clip