3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2010 10:38 AM by Ansury

Flex/BlazeDS and Subversion.

Arizona_Steve

I am trying to figure out how to set up a Flex/BlazeDS project that will be maintained by several people using Subversion as the source repository. I would like to keep the server side code separate from the client UI. I am using RAD 7.5, an IBM tool that is base on Eclipse. Here is what I'm doing.

• Create ear project (let's call it "test").
      • Import the BlazeDS WAR into a new web project (testServer)
      • Fire up a server.
      • Create a Flex project and uncheck "Create combined Java/Flex project using WTP". On the next page enter the directory path and the server URL/ context root. Validate configuration and click finish.
      • Save the project to Subversion.

So far so good. Now another developer comes in and checks out the project from Subversion. He has his own set-up for his server (different port, usually) and his RAD/Eclipse workspace directory is in a different location. As of now, he would have to change the compiler settings (services.xml location and server location) to reflect the location of his server and workspace.

Clearly this is not ideal. Is there any way to use relative file locations and URLs in the compiler options? Is there any other way around this?

• 1. Re: Flex/BlazeDS and Subversion.
          jake_flex Level 2

In my BlazeDS application the channels for example are defined as

<channel-definition id="my-streaming-amf" class="mx.messaging.channels.StreamingAMFChannel">
                <endpoint url="http://{server.name}:{server.port}/{context.root}/messagebroker/streamingamf" 
                                 class="flex.messaging.endpoints.StreamingAMFEndpoint"/>
          </channel-definition>

So the variables {server.name}, {server.port} are used by the server, so no need to have different configurations for each server. This works on my localhost using port 8400 and on another server using port 80.

For Eclipse locations you can probably use relative paths in your project configuration files. Or have a general settings in SVN and have a user specific conf file.

• 2. Re: Flex/BlazeDS and Subversion.
            J D Flex

Arizona_Steve : Interested to know if you got this up and running. I was beginning to get this setup when I noticed your post....

Do let us know your pearls of wisdom ;-)

• 3. Re: Flex/BlazeDS and Subversion.
              Ansury Level 3

I prefer to beat my developers into submission so that they install to the correct and consistent install path, but Jake's solution above is the standard.