5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2010 3:08 PM by Zabeth69

Dreamweaver and Contribute Updating

Mark57

Hey - I have a site built with Dreamweaver CS4 - with hundreds of pages and links. We're a small office with 15 employees. However management wanted certain individuals to be able to "do updates on their own", so we purchased Contribute.

My problem is that I have no idea when someone updates a page, so if for any reason I go into a page and make changes (on my local) and update, then I've overwritten their changes.

1. Is there a way I can be notified by either Dreamweaver or Contribute when a change is made; or

2. Should I just synch all my local pages at the end of the day (which could take a long time); or

3. Should I work on my updates from the server and stop using the local?

Suggestions and assistance would be great!

Thanks.

Mark

• 1. Re: Dreamweaver and Contribute Updating
          Zabeth69 Level 5

Take advantage of the check in/check out system. You will be unable to open a page locally without unlocking it on the server. You will also be able to see who has it checked out and is working on it, when that is the case.

More information on this feature is here: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Dreamweaver/10.0_Using/WSc78c5058ca073340dcda9110b1f693f21-7ef 2a.html

Beth

• 2. Re: Dreamweaver and Contribute Updating
            Mark57 Level 1

Hey Beth - thanks for the reply. We're using the check in/out system. My problem is that I don't know when someone in the office has updated a page in the last 5 minutes or last 5 days.

Is there something DW has that can help me print a log or something? Right now, I'm synching the newer remote files to my local files and it's taking forever because the site is so big.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again.

Mark

• 3. Re: Dreamweaver and Contribute Updating
              Zabeth69 Level 5

I'm not sure of a way to tell, other than logging in and viewing the remote files. Of course, if you have checkin/checkout enabled, you will see that, it seems to me. The date that shows is the most recent update for each file.

I know it is possible to 'survey' recent updates locally, however, in the files panel...the little black/grey menu in the right top corner of the panel gives you some choices.

You could just arbitrarily download a page when you go to edit it...actually, that's what the checkin/checkout will do for you, not allow you to use a local version and always bring down the version that is on the server. (to the best of my knowledge...)

Another way to tell is to put an "updated" javascript on each page that will give day, date, and time if you format it correctly. Unfortunately for this conversation, I don't have it immediately at hand, but it is possible and pretty easy.

Beth

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Dreamweaver and Contribute Updating
                Mark57 Level 1

Hey, I appreciate the info. I kind of figured it wouldn't be easy! Everyone wants to be a webmaster, I guess and I get to clean it up!

Thanks again.

Mark

• 5. Re: Dreamweaver and Contribute Updating
                  Zabeth69 Level 5

Glad to help. You know, I don't know that it's so much that everyone wants to be a webmaster as that everyone wants control of their own content. If you can make it possible for that to happen and you only get to fight the big fires, so much the better...they feel more ownership and you get paid (the big bucks...<G>) to do what you are good at...Get that mop handy!

Beth