24 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2007 1:07 PM by Newsgroup_User

Fireworks slideshow

SAST&D
      Here is the situation. I created a slideshow in Fireworks and have transferred the files to the server. The pictures that were part of the slideshow are not showing up. I have tried to edit the slideshow and it will not allow for a change to redirect the path to the server. What gives???
        • 1. Re: Fireworks slideshow
          Level 7
          SAST&D wrote:
          > Here is the situation. I created a slideshow in Fireworks and have transferred
          > the files to the server. The pictures that were part of the slideshow are not
          > showing up. I have tried to edit the slideshow and it will not allow for a
          > change to redirect the path to the server. What gives???

Can you post a URL?

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
          • 2. Fireworks slideshow
            SAST&D Level 1
            Here is the URL to my website http://www.superiortrim.com.

The slideshow is located on the homepage...the second page. The first is the introduction page which I am working on.
            • 3. Re: Fireworks slideshow
              Level 7
              SAST&D wrote:
              > Here is the URL to my website http://www.superiortrim.com.
              >
              > The slideshow is located on the homepage...the second page. The first is the introduction page which I am working on.

There is no slideshow on the page you sent the URL for, and no like to
              another page.

--
              Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
              http://www.projectseven.com
              Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
              CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
              http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
              • 4. Re: Fireworks slideshow
                Level 7
                Linda - I finally found it. Click on the building picture at the bottom
                of the page of http://www.superiortrim.com/Homepage.html

SASTD&D - you mentioned that the files were uploaded to the server - can
                you go straight to any of the images by typing the path on the browser?

alex

Linda Rathgeber **Adobe Community Expert** wrote:
                > SAST&D wrote:
                >> Here is the URL to my website http://www.superiortrim.com.
                >>
                >> The slideshow is located on the homepage...the second page. The first
                >> is the introduction page which I am working on.
                >
                > There is no slideshow on the page you sent the URL for, and no like to
                > another page.
                >
                >
                • 5. Fireworks slideshow
                  SAST&D Level 1
                  Yes I am sorry about that. I placed a period at the end of the sentence and it transferred over to the URL. I fixed it.

Alex-I have not tried that. Give me a couple of minutes and I will try it. Ok I just tried it and they are showing up. But for some reason when I tried to redo slideshow it would not allow me to redirect the pathway to the server. That is my dilemma.
                  Jpg from server
                  • 6. Re: Fireworks slideshow
                    Level 7
                    Have a look at the rollover images on

http://www.superiortrim.com/Products.html

There seems to be an adjustment required on one of the images.

SAST&D wrote:
                    > Yes I am sorry about that. I placed a period at the end of the sentence and it
                    > transferred over to the URL. I fixed it.
                    >
                    > Alex-I have not tried that. Give me a couple of minutes and I will try it. Ok
                    > I just tried it and they are showing up. But for some reason when I tried to
                    > redo slideshow it would not allow me to redirect the pathway to the server.
                    > That is my dilemma.
                    >
                    • 7. Re: Fireworks slideshow
                      pixlor Level 4
                      I don't know about the slide show feature, but I do know about referencing URLs....

I see you have spaces in your file names. The image of the front doors on your hard drive is probably "front doors.jpg." When it's in a URL, it has to be "front%20doors.jpg" because spaces are not allowed in URLs and are encoded to %20.

When you set up your slide show, do you refer to your image with the space in the name? If you do, that isn't its name when its on the server and that would explain why your slide show breaks. I also see that your folder names have spaces in them. Why don't you try either removing the spaces or replacing the spaces with underscores and see if that helps. Remove or replace in file and folder names.

Also, spaces may make your file and folder names look nicer and more readable on your computer, but they don't make for nice and readable URLs. For instance:
                      your slide show - www.superiortrim.com/Corporate % 20 slideshow.html
                      your front door image - www.superiortrim.com/images/corporate % 20 office/front % 20 doors.jpg

cheers!
                      • 8. Re: Fireworks slideshow
                        SAST&D Level 1
                        Deebs- thanks for the heads up. I am in the middle of updating it but the rollover does work, I just went to another system and tried the website and they load and flip but I need to change the file names.
                        • 9. Re: Fireworks slideshow
                          Level 7
                          Neat graphics all the same - I bet the client is quite pleased.

If my own experience is anything to go by (and I don't mean to imply
                          that it is) then the client may be bragging to associates/colleagues in
                          similar sector organisations.

The wood effects are astounding and really give a flavour for real wood
                          products (I can almost smell the wood oils).

SAST&D wrote:
                          > Deebs- thanks for the heads up. I am in the middle of updating it but the
                          > rollover does work, I just went to another system and tried the website and
                          > they load and flip but I need to change the file names.
                          >
                          • 10. Re: Fireworks slideshow
                            Level 7
                            I am going to this link and I still don't see any images:

http://www.superiortrim.com/Corporate_slideshow.html

is that correct?

alex

SAST&D wrote:
                            > Deebs- thanks for the heads up. I am in the middle of updating it but the
                            > rollover does work, I just went to another system and tried the website and
                            > they load and flip but I need to change the file names.
                            >
                            • 11. Re: Fireworks slideshow
                              SAST&D Level 1
                              That is the correct link. There is the issue. I can not get the slideshow to look on the server for the pictures. It will only look for the pictures on my system, and that is not good.
                              • 12. Re: Fireworks slideshow
                                Level 7
                                I can see the thumbs for the Manufacturing Album, but not the larger images?

Peter
                                "SAST&D" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                news:faf0bj$3vk$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                | That is the correct link. There is the issue. I can not get the slideshow
                                to look on the server for the pictures. It will only look for the pictures
                                on my system, and that is not good.

• 13. Re: Fireworks slideshow
                                  Level 7
                                  I can now see the second image in the Manufacturing section...

Something's working.

Peter
                                  images?
                                  |
                                  | Peter
                                  | "SAST&D" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                  | news:faf0bj$3vk$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  || That is the correct link. There is the issue. I can not get the slideshow
                                  | to look on the server for the pictures. It will only look for the pictures
                                  | on my system, and that is not good.
                                  |
                                  |

• 14. Fireworks slideshow
                                    pixlor Level 4
                                    I note that "Manufacturing" would be one word, no spaces, but all the other albums are two words. Hmm. I also can't see the .jpg you linked to before, even if I try removing the %20s or replacing them with underscores.

Would you post the full file names (folder/name) for the first two thumbnails and full-size images in Manufacturing and also for Corporate Office? Let's see what's special about Manufacturing and that second one in particular. (That would be eight image names.)

• 15. Re: Fireworks slideshow
                                      Level 7
                                      Yes but, although all the thumbs are there only one, the second is showing
                                      the main image.

I would have thought that would have provided you with enough info to pin
                                      point the problem though?

I managed to get it to work ok here http://www.fasterthanu.com/

Peter
                                      | albums are two words. Hmm. I also can't see the .jpg you linked to before,
                                      even
                                      | if I try removing the %20s or replacing them with underscores.
                                      |
                                      | Would you post the full file names for the first two thumbnails and
                                      full-size
                                      | images in Manufacturing and also for Corporate Office? Let's see what's
                                      special
                                      | about Manufacturing and that second one in particular. (That would be
                                      eight
                                      | image names.)
                                      |
                                      |
                                      |
                                      |

• 16. Re: Fireworks slideshow
                                        pixlor Level 4
                                        quote:

Yes but, although all the thumbs are there only one, the second is showing the main image.
                                        Yes, so there is obviously something different about the Manufacturing album, and something different about the second image. What?

quote:

I would have thought that would have provided you with enough info to pin point the problem though?
                                        Well, no. I can't see your code; I can't see your file structure; I can't tell what going on. I don't know why the one that works does, nor why the rest don't. I don't use the slideshow, so I'm not familiar with it. I do know that if you reference a file by the wrong name, it won't show on a Web page. That's a common symptom, so I'm hypothesizing that your problem is file naming. It may be something else. But until you can post the folder and file names like I asked, I don't have the info I need to tell.

quote:

I managed to get it to work ok here http://www.fasterthanu.com/
                                        Uh huh. And your album names don't have spaces in them and it looks like you have image names below the large images when they display and they all have single character strings, too? No spaces and the slideshow works?

I still think the problem may be that you have some spaces someplace. Look at your folder and file names carefully to make sure you have no spaces in them. Rebuild your slide show from scratch. Delete all the slide show files and folders off your server, then upload the new ones.

• 17. Re: Fireworks slideshow
                                          Level 7
                                          Neat Slideshow PJR!

SAST&D: what do you think to an effect like this?

http://deebs.diinoweb.com/files/Ideas/070821-00a.gif
                                          • 18. Re: Fireworks slideshow
                                            Level 7
                                            As pixlor says plus maybe it is helpful to:

- rename all the images (big file names are ok on the 'pooter but for
                                            the web img001.jpg or ss001.jpg for the first slideshow image seems fine)

- give the slideshow a different name to the one that it will replace

It is getting there :)
                                            • 19. Re: Fireworks slideshow
                                              Level 7
                                              Thanks. I was just testing the new feature in CS3 out. As I was about to
                                              explain to pixlor, I am not the one having the problem, I was just trying to
                                              help and offered my example only to show it can be done. I can get abuse
                                              anywhere. So I'll leave up to pixlor, and perhaps he /she can show us
                                              his/her example... :-)

Peter
                                              |
                                              | SAST&D: what do you think to an effect like this?
                                              |
                                              | http://deebs.diinoweb.com/files/Ideas/070821-00a.gif

• 20. Re: Fireworks slideshow
                                                pixlor Level 4
                                                quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                                                Thanks. I was just testing the new feature in CS3 out. As I was about to
                                                explain to pixlor, I am not the one having the problem, I was just trying to
                                                help and offered my example only to show it can be done. I can get abuse
                                                anywhere.

I'm terribly sorry! I thought you were the same person!

• 21. Re: Fireworks slideshow
                                                  Level 7
                                                  No problem dude. For the record the OP (original poster) is SAST&D and I'm
                                                  PJR :-)

Looks like SAST&D has abandoned that slide show and gone with the spry
                                                  version anyway.

http://www.superiortrim.com/Corporate_slideshow.html

Peter
                                                  quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                                                  | Thanks. I was just testing the new feature in CS3 out. As I was about to
                                                  | explain to pixlor, I am not the one having the problem, I was just trying
                                                  to
                                                  | help and offered my example only to show it can be done. I can get abuse
                                                  | anywhere.

| I'm terribly sorry! I thought you were the same person!
                                                  |
                                                  |
                                                  |

• 22. Re: Fireworks slideshow
                                                    SAST&D Level 1
                                                    PJR, Pixlor and everyone else that helped me,

THANKS!!! I am a intermediate doing this stuff and learning things really quickly, but hey that cool besides that's why we have these forums right. Help each other out.

Thanks again
                                                    • 23. Re: Fireworks slideshow
                                                      Level 7
                                                      Pleased you got it sorted out. Looks good. And yes I've also learnt a huge
                                                      amount from just trying to understand other peoples problems.

Keep up the good work :-)

Peter
                                                      |
                                                      | THANKS!!! I am a intermediate doing this stuff and learning things really
                                                      | quickly, but hey that cool besides that's why we have these forums right.
                                                      Help
                                                      | each other out.
                                                      |
                                                      | Thanks again
                                                      |

• 24. Re: Fireworks slideshow
                                                        Level 7
                                                        Same here SAST&D - I too learned quite a bit from your original question.

SAST&D wrote:
                                                        > PJR, Pixlor and everyone else that helped me,
                                                        >
                                                        > THANKS!!! I am a intermediate doing this stuff and learning things really
                                                        > quickly, but hey that cool besides that's why we have these forums right. Help
                                                        > each other out.
                                                        >
                                                        > Thanks again
                                                        >