5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2010 6:49 PM by the_wine_snob

CS4 Media Encoder hangs while encoding

thelordofthemanor Level 1

I've seen a number of other users post a similar problem to this forum. I'm wanted to open a new post to explain my problem so that I can post a link here into everyone else's post.

I'm running Premiere Pro CS4 on Windows XP, with a 3GHz single-core CPU, and 4GB or RAM.

For some projects, AME hangs about half way through the encoding and completely locks up my computer. The problem only happens on one particular set of input files (which are H.264 720p 24fps .mov files), and it is 100% reproducible. I've tried all of the ad-hoc workarounds that I've seen posted here (cleaning out the cache directory, moving the .MOV files to a different location, deleting the .proj and starting over). Nothing helps.

I suspect the following will work:

1. Use AME to convert the .MOV input files into a different format (.AVI?) with the same resolution and frame rate.

2. Create a new project, import the AME-converted input files

3. Re-export

It's annoying that AME crashes so easily (I've only been using PPro CS4 for one month, and only for five projects of less than ten minutes run-time each). I'm surprised I ran into this crash so quickly (maybe it's because a full-time software QA engineer.... but I hope not).

I'll update this post when I confirm my workaround.

Andy Frazer

http://www.gorillasites.com/nightphotos

• 1. Re: CS4 Media Encoder hangs while encoding
          yokohama_2010

Yr problem seems install OLD pr plugins,hangs on in media encoder,TRY unstall & cleanup the AE,PR old plugins...

• 2. Re: CS4 Media Encoder hangs while encoding
            Harm Millaard Level 7

That thing is bound to happen if your system does not meet minimum requirements. What are your specs?

• 3. Re: CS4 Media Encoder hangs while encoding

>

> That thing is bound to happen if  your system does not meet minimum requirements.

> What are your specs?

>

As I mentioned in my original posting, I'm running Premiere Pro CS4 on Windows XP, with a 3GHz single-core CPU,  and 4GB or RAM.

I'm not sure what other specs I can provide?

The video is on a rather small 400GB hard drive with 80GB free, right now.  Is there anything else I can provide?

But I'm not sure why you think this problem is related to specs.  As I mentioned, it only happens on one particular set of video files. I didn't mention that that particular set of video (720p) is actually smaller than my other projects (1080) which do not have this problem.

Also, I've been able to lock up the system once by dragging these same imported files into the timeline, and one while trying to save this project. Again, this only happens with one particular set of small input files. It's three H.264 720p files each approximately two minutes long. I've been able to do the same encoding on H.264 1080 files that are 30 minutes long with no problems.

Thanks

Andy

• 4. Re: CS4 Media Encoder hangs while encoding

> Your problem install OLD pr plugins,hangs on in media encoder,

> TRY unstall &  cleanup the AE,PR old plugins...

Thanks, but I already tried that.

There are absolutely no old plugins or old versions of PPro on this system. In fact, I re-installed XP from scratch about three weeks ago after I reformatted my C drive. I also uninstalled PPro CS4 and re-installed it last Monday to try to fix this one.

• 5. Re: CS4 Media Encoder hangs while encoding
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Andy,

Having 80GB free is about enough space to run PrPro, and not a lot more. Can you try this on a drive with some free space? Very likely that your working files are larger than your free space, and that your Virtual Memory is filling it to the max, if it is dynamically managed.

Good luck,

Hunt