11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2010 9:12 AM by Ralph3616

Using Premiere to make DVD menu

Ralph3616 Level 1

I have been tinkering with Premiere Pro CS4 to make a few videos for my web site and face book. Now I would like to try my hand at making a TV watchable DVD. First dumb question.. What do I need to make a menu?

My "movie" will be three parts with each part having numerous clips. I would like the user to be able to "play all" or select one of the three categories, play just that (category) or open it and allow individual picks.  ( my movie will be a selection of old ~ 1960 ish converted 8mm film)

Which.. if any, of the CS4 suite of programs can create such a menu or do I need to get yet more software? ... recomendations...??

Thanks for your time

Ralph

• 1. Re: Using Premiere to make DVD menu
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Encore

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Using Premiere to make DVD menu
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Ralph,

Harm is correct, that Encore is the authoring program. It will let you do a lot of adjustment to Menus, almost from the ground up, if you start with, say the NTSC (or PAL) Blank Menu.

However, I find that Photoshop is so much more powerful, and with it, one can create Menus totally from the ground up.

Now, if one wants Motion Assets in the Menu's background, PrPro is an ideal tool for that. Though I have dozens of audio-editing programs, I also do the majority of my Menu Audio in PrPro, as well.

For DVD-Video work, a perfect trifecta is PrPro (NLE Video editing), Encore (authoring) and Photoshop (ultimate image editing program). I use each very heavily in all DVD-Video Projects.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Using Premiere to make DVD menu
              Ralph3616 Level 1

Thank you both..

Will go to my local library tomorrow for some Encore books and perhaps see if I can find some tutorials on line

• 4. Re: Using Premiere to make DVD menu
                shooternz Level 6

or for a cheap and simple option (that gets the job done.).

AVS DVD Authoring

http://www.avs4you.com/video.aspx

• 5. Re: Using Premiere to make DVD menu
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The best book that you are likely to find on Encore is by Jeff Bellune, The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe EncoreDVD 2.0, Focal Press. Do not let the name put you off. Though written for an earlier version of Encore, everything in that book is still applicable to CS4. The only additions will be the strengthened Adobe Dynamic Link between PrPro and Encore, and BD authoring. I still find it useful, and I have had it for years.

There are some other books on Menus, but Jeff covers almost everything, but the pure design elements. That is often covered best in a 4 year course in graphic design for media.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - there is a very active Encore Forum, where questions, specific to Encore are handled my many folk, and some who do not hang out here. I highly recommend it. See you there.

• 6. Re: Using Premiere to make DVD menu
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ralph3616 wrote:

Thank you both..

Will go to my local library tomorrow for some Encore books and perhaps see if I can find some tutorials on line

The user guide is on the install disc in PDF form... some other reading

Encore Updates http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=76&platform=Windows
                    Use Encore and http://www.intellidisc.com/ for a "movie" DVD which has computer content,
                    or use Macromedia Director http://www.adobe.com/products/director/ by itself
                    BluRay problem Win7 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/400484?tstart=0
                    Fix Encore Win7 Problem http://forums.adobe.com/thread/528582?tstart=0 or direct to
                    http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/kb/General%20Information/000070GN&PARAMS
                    Long File Names Cause Crashing http://forums.adobe.com/thread/588273
                    Tutorial http://www.precomposed.com/blog/2009/05/encore-tutorial/

Do go to the Encore forum for Encore help

• 7. Re: Using Premiere to make DVD menu
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Do go to the Encore forum for Encore help

I also find that reading the Encore Forum is very useful. Most issues have been sorted out there, already. At one time (prior to the forum changeover) I had read every article in there. As of the changeover, I have gotten behind. Lot of great tips, "fixes" and workarounds.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Using Premiere to make DVD menu
                        Ralph3616 Level 1

Thanks Bill

I did spend most of the evening there yesterday. It showed I was not alone in "not" having a library. In my case it seems you have to install it separately which worked...

Remains to be seen if I will have issues when I go to actually use the program.. seems like lots of folks do. I am currently getting an error on startup, somethiong about pthreadgc2.dll not being found... seems that 4~5 ok's continue the startup where so far... everything is working. But have not done any serious stuff yet.

• 9. Re: Using Premiere to make DVD menu
                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Likely you have FFDShow installed, and it's complaining about that file.  Having FFDShow installed on a production system is a huge mistake, and you are likely to encounter all kinds of problems with Adobe software as long as it remains installed.  Uninstalling it may work, but don't be surprised if you have to do a complete reformat of your system hard drive and a complete reinstallation of all of your software to fully get rid of it.

If you're sure that you don't have FFDShow installed, including being sure that no other software package installed it for you, then I don't have any idea why you'd be getting that message.

-Jeff

• 10. Re: Using Premiere to make DVD menu
                            Ralph3616 Level 1

Thank you Jeff for shedding a little light on the problem.

I did a search for FFDShow (on my computer) and it seems to be associated with a codec pack I found from http://yatoshi.com/en/index.php. As far as I can tell... I do not have FFDShow installed (never heard of it anyway). From looking at the configuration options available from the Satsuki Decoder Pack installation FFDShow is one of a half dozen viewers that this decoder package can handle.

As far as the file pthreadgc2.dll it seems that there is one in my C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin. Assuming (?) the presence of this file would satisfy Adobe Encore could you hazard a guess as to where I could place a copy?

As a related note... this identical program (Adobe Encore CS4) is also on my Notebook. A dual boot system with Encore running under Windows XP on "D" drive. The dll prthreadgc2 does exist but on the "C" drive (Windows Vista) so it would not be seen by Encore. This (in my mind anyway) is more confirmation that the problem is caused by my Satsuki Decoder and the association with FFDShow.

I see that yatoshi.com has forum... I will look around in there.. if it is active and see if they can shed some more light on the problem. In the meantime my Encore seems to work with what little I have done with it so far.

Thanks again

• 11. Re: Using Premiere to make DVD menu
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, FFDShow is often installed with several CODEC "packs," and can cause no end to grief with many programs, and not just Adobe.

Some CODEC pack installers allow one to pick and choose just what is installed, but many just do the whole package, with no control over which elements are/are not installed. Those do more harm than good, IMO.

The first thing that I would do is to set a System Restore Point manually. Then, with Add/Remove Programs, try to uninstall FFDShow. I would also run a Registry cleaner, like CCleander, to hopefully remove all vestiges of it. Reboot, and launch Encore again, testing. If you are successful and all runs fine, be sure to do a second System Restore Point manually.

If things do not work, after the removal of FFDShow, just reboot into Safe Mode and do a System Restore to get you back to where you were before. At that point, Jeff's "worst-case scenario," might be the only hope. Sorry.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - when you get Encore up and running, I think that you will love it. I still get excited about finishing up my Projects in that Program, because of the power and control that it offers me.