26 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2010 7:32 AM by p1nkg1raffe

FLV won't play from remote server

Ronnie 1.8

My problem is that I've inserted an flv, and have put all dependent  files on my remote server.  The flv previews fine (no testing server  defined), but I can not get the file to play from my broswer, Firefox.   Adobe technical, after 90 minutes with them on the phone, said the  problem was caused by my remote server.  After close to the same amount  of aggregate time w/ my host, they claimed FLV works fine on their site  (which makes sense to me).  Any idea of why I cannot get the file to  play from my browser?  I've spent many many hours on this, and still  cannot find a cause.

The URL is http://www.firstreflectionav.com/Untitled-2.html.

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: FLV won't play from remote server
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The following line doesn't look right...

<param name="FlashVars" value="&amp;MM_ComponentVersion=1&amp;skinName=Clear_Skin_1&amp;streamName=services&amp;autoPlay =true&amp;autoRewind=false" />

I believe it should read...

<param name="FlashVars" value="MM_ComponentVersion=1&skinName=Clear_Skin_1&streamName=services&autoPlay=true&autoRewind= false" />

• 2. Re: FLV won't play from remote server
            Ronnie 1.8 Level 1

Ned, I greatly appreciate your help.  Thank you.  I've made your suggested changes, and my code now reads:

<param name="FlashVars" value="MM_ComponentVersion=1&skinName=Clear_Skin_1&streamName=services&autoPlay=true&auto Rewind=false" />

but no cigar.  When I load my page in Firefox, the status bar at the bottom reads, "Waiting for www.firstreflectionav.com...".  If I delete the flv file from the remote server, I get the exact same behavior, so it behaves as though the flv file is not seen or recognized.  Any other thoughts?

• 3. Re: FLV won't play from remote server
              Ronnie 1.8 Level 1

UPDATE: Both "Live View" and preview in both IE and Firefox continue to work successfully, i.e., the change in this code yielded no change in behavior.

• 4. Re: FLV won't play from remote server

What is the url of the flv?  What code is used in the swf file to target the flv?

• 5. Re: FLV won't play from remote server
                  Ronnie 1.8 Level 1

Well, the URL of the page the flv is inserted into is:

http://www.firstreflectionav.com/Untitled-2.html

and the flv filename is services.flv, so I believe the URL of the flv is:

http://www.firstreflectionav.com/services.flv

Re: the code used in the swf file to target the flv, I don't know, how can I get that info?

There are 4 dependent files created by CS4, and I have put them all on the remote server:

/wwwroot/FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf

/wwwroot/Clear_Skin_1.swf

/wwwroot/Scripts/swfobject_modified.js

/wwwroot/Scripts/expressInstall.swf

and of course:

/wwwroot/Untitled-2.html

/wwwroot/services.flv

• 6. Re: FLV won't play from remote server

What code is used in the swf file to target the flv?

• 7. Re: FLV won't play from remote server
                      Ronnie 1.8 Level 1

Ned, to what swf file do you refer?  How do I find this information?

I saw this question in your last post, and answered, "Re: the code used in the swf file to target the flv, I don't know, how  can I get that info?"

Please tell me how to get this info, and I will gladly do so.  Thank you.

• 8. Re: FLV won't play from remote server
                        Ronnie 1.8 Level 1

There are 2 swf files in my /wwwroot/ directory. One is:

FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf

I would guess you refer to this file, but I don't know how to find the code used to target the services.flv file.

??

• 9. Re: FLV won't play from remote server
                          Ronnie 1.8 Level 1

Can someone please tell me  how to find the code used in a swf file to target my flv?  I'm not even sure to what swf file Ned is referring to.

• 10. Re: FLV won't play from remote server
                            hans-g. Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi,

there is a link I don't understand:

in the file flv.html code-view you refer as I can see <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf" width="300" height="225"> to a FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf, but in design view I see a lead to "services.flv".

Hans-G.

• 11. Re: FLV won't play from remote server
                              Ronnie 1.8 Level 1

I'm assuming you mean Untitled-2.html?  I don't have a file named flv.html.

Well, CS4 creates the FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf file, as one of the dependent files.  Despite what you see, I am able to view the flv just fine in "Live View".

What exactly are you recommending?

• 12. Re: FLV won't play from remote server

Hi,

pardon it's your Untitled-2.html, I renamed it to flv.html to examine.

Hans-G.

• 13. Re: FLV won't play from remote server

Hi,

dr01.jpg

dr02.jpg

and the command line 25.

Hans-G.

• 14. Re: FLV won't play from remote server
                                    Ronnie 1.8 Level 1

Hi Hans,

I see your two jpg's, and your reference to line 25, but I'm not sure what you are asking me to do?  Can you please explain?

Thank you,

Ron

• 15. Re: FLV won't play from remote server

Hi,

let's start again. Did you control whether you loaded all these files (analogous to mines) to your server:

flv2.html (it's your Untitled-2.html), button1.swf (if you would like me to start the file in a external program), Corona_Skin_3.swf (or Clear_Skin_1.swf, and so on), FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf and yourFile.flv (I used "BauchrednerTerryLiveFromVegas.flv").

Look at my example, made for you in the moment (I put in in a table, so you can see it better):

http://www.goldschmiede-blumberg.de/AdobTest/flv/flv2.html

Hans-G.

• 16. Re: FLV won't play from remote server

Hi,

addition: I added a button to press.

Hans-G.

P.S.

No help for you, the/my source code?

• 17. Re: FLV won't play from remote server
                                          Ronnie 1.8 Level 1

Hi Hans,

Yes, remember, I'm able to perform "Live View" with Untitled-2.html, and see my services.flv file playing as expected.  I'm also able to successfully preview in both Firefox and IE.  In addition, I've put the following files on my remote server:

/wwwroot/Untitled-2.html

/wwwroot/services.flv

/wwwroot/FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf

/wwwroot/Clear_Skin_1.swf

/wwwroot/Scripts/swfobject_modified.js

/wwwroot/Scripts/expressInstall.swf

So I inserted services.flv into Untitled-2.html, preview in Firefox or IE as expected, put all the dependent files to the remote server in the same relative directory, and the services.flv file doesn't play.

• 18. Re: FLV won't play from remote server

Hi Ronnie,

there is this line in your code: <link href="file:///C|/Documents and Settings/Ron Jones/My Documents/My Files/First. DW does this, when you don't store your file with a name first. (Didn't DW ask you you should store before all your operations? Did DW give the name Untitled-2.html?)

Therefore I would use, like I did im my example (flv.html).

I am sorry I have to leave, otherwise I would describe all the steps, I come back later, but you could try my hint in the meantime.

Hans-G.

• 19. Re: FLV won't play from remote server
                                              Ronnie 1.8 Level 1

Yes, the name Untitled-2.html came from DW.  Okay, I deleted all flv related dependent files from both local and remote server, for a fresh start.  I then created a new html file, saved it as flv.html, and then inserted the services.flv file.  I then put all files, including all dependent files, to the remote server.  As with the previous Untitled-2.html, I am able to successfully preview in both Firefox and IE.

And I have the same behavior from my actual browser.  I go to:

http://www.firstreflectionav.com/flv.html

...and the status bar at the bottom says "Waiting for www.firstreflectionav.com...".  So, I followed your advice, but no change.  Any other ideas?

• 20. Re: FLV won't play from remote server

Hi Ronnie,

back again, no fun "walking in the rain" today

Ok, let's look again. Comparing your source code with mine, it starts already with this difference.

Header 1Header 2

You:
                                                <title>Untitled Document</title>
                                                <script src="Scripts/swfobject_modified.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
                                                </head>

Mine:
                                                <title>flv-Test</title>
                                                <script type="text/javascript">
                                                function MM_CheckFlashVersion(reqVerStr,msg){
                                                  with(navigator){
                                                    var isIE  = (appVersion.indexOf("MSIE") != -1 && userAgent.indexOf("Opera") == -1);
                                                    var isWin = (appVersion.toLowerCase().indexOf("win") != -1);
                                                    if (!isIE || !isWin){ 
                                                      var flashVer = -1;
                                                      if (plugins && plugins.length > 0){

..... many other commands ..... aso.

That shows me, you have choosen an other way to include your flv-file. That's why I'll describe you my way (I try to translate the German-DW-terms in English):

Header 1Header 2

Ganz neues Unterverzeichnis anlegen

Datei html neu
                                                DesignMode:
                                                Einfügen Flash-Video
                                                Durchsuchen ---> myFLV.flv
                                                Skin: Halo Skin 3 (min. Breite 280)
                                                Breite 640
                                                Höhe 480
                                                alle Kästchen angeklickt

create a really new subdirectory

create a new html-file

DesignMode:
                                                Insert Flash-Video

search/browse ---> myFLV.flv
                                                skin: Halo Skin 3 (min. width 280) ( it's only my choice)
                                                width 640 ( it's only my choice)

height 480 ( it's only my choice)

I clicked all the boxes

---> And now away with the files to the server (best you have a look with the WIN-Explorer to your directory, to see all the files DW has created in your subdirectory).

And look again here:

http://www.goldschmiede-blumberg.de/AdobTest/flv/flv2.html

Hans-G.

• 21. Re: FLV won't play from remote server
                                                  Ronnie 1.8 Level 1

Hi Hans,

I'm not sure why the source code would indicate a potential problem.  I'm using Dreamweaver CS4.  My process is:

Deleted all dependent files in my local and remote server related to  inserting a flash video

Created a new subdirectory in my root named "Test"

Created a new html page (Untitled-3)

Chose INSERT, MEDIA, FLV... to insert my services.flv file

Browsed to services.flv (document relative)

Chose skin 1

Told DW to detect size (which it did)

Reduced size to 300x225

Chose auto play

Chose auto rewind

and OK

As I note in many of our correspondences, I am able to successfully preview my flash video in both IE and Firefox.  If I was doing something wrong, I believe this preview would not be successful.  If I can successfully preview the flash video in IE or Firefox, why won't it work on the remote server?

I am not changing any code.  I have to believe I've not uncovered a previously unknown bug within CS4?

• 22. Re: FLV won't play from remote server

Hi,

are you sure that you've sent to your server all the files which come into question. For your information, here you will see the files which had been  necessary for my example:

dr.jpg

Hans-G.

• 23. Re: FLV won't play from remote server
                                                      Ronnie 1.8 Level 1

Hans, I have a dedicated subdirectory "Test".  I have the same files locally as I do remotely.  Those files are:

Untitled-3.html

services.flv

FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf

Clear_Skin_1.swf

swfobject_modified.js

expressInstall.swf

Again, it works when I perform "Live View", or preview in either Firefox or IE.  I have successfully put my entire site on my remote server.  I really don't think I'm missing any files.  The page keepds reading "Waiting for www.firstreflectionav.com...".

I'm not missing any files - it's something else.

It seems that this should be a know issue, recognized by a moderator.  Any moderator out there that can provide any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 24. Re: FLV won't play from remote server

Hi Ronnie,

it's a pity, perhaps my efforts were all for nothing. But I can't understand the whys and wherefores my program works very well which has been proven, and you fail ....

I hope that you find someone else, good luck.

Hans-G.

• 25. Re: FLV won't play from remote server
                                                          Ronnie 1.8 Level 1

Hans, I greatly appreciate your help.  Yeah, I don't understand it, either.  If I am missing a file, it's because CS4 failed to create it.  But it would have to be a file that, when missing, still allows for successful local viewing, but fails when that file is missing remotely.  The entire process of adding the flash file to my page works as expected.  Putting the files on my remote server is as expected.  Everything seems fine, no weird unexplained behavior.  Seems the cause, and solution, should be simple, I just don't know what they are.

• 26. Re: FLV won't play from remote server
                                                            p1nkg1raffe

I know this is an old thread, but in case this helps anyone...

I found 2 things that fixed this problem...

1) make sure there are no capitals or characters other than letters and numbers in the .flv name

2) I usually work on a mac which always shows the file extension in the folder e.g. '.flv  .mov  .swf etc'. I then moved to a PC which showed my filename in the folder as 'video.flv' but I didn't realise that the PC default is to only show the name without the extension i.e.'video' without '.flv' therefore, when I looked at my code I realised the file was actually called 'video.flv.flv'. When I removed the extra .flv off the end it worked.

I hope that made sense and helps.