2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2010 5:10 AM by Wade_Zimmerman

Questions about gradients and print margins, can someone please help me out?

punx27

I have 2 questions about adobe illustrator cs4. First, when I use the gradient tool, the gradient bar doesn't stay active in the design area like shown in all tutorials on gradients I've seen, whats going on here. Second, when printing a 8.5 x 11 inch print, the print margin is .5 inch both left + right sides + top but the bottom is an inch or more, how do I customize the print margins to be the same size or even do a full bleed?

• 1. Re: Questions about gradients and print margins, can someone please help me out?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

the gradient bar doesn't stay active in the design area like shown in all tutorials on gradients I've seen, whats going on here.

Did you actualyl apply a gradient anywhere? Is the gradient annotator set to show in the view options?

how do I customize the print margins to be the same size or even do a full bleed?

In your printer driver. This is quite clearly a problem with your printer, not AI. Actual bleed is dependent on the device, you can only set up the artboards accordingly in AI.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Questions about gradients and print margins, can someone please help me out?
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

To be sure that you cannot set you margins to be more that the printer you selected will allow.

However you can go to Page Setup in the Print dialog then choose Manage Custom Sizes and create a page size and custom margns and see if it will be accepted by the printer.

If the printer is Acrobat or Adobe Postscript the custom size will work for the creation of a PDF but will have to tiled for a printer that prints a smaller page or will not accept the margins.

Screen shot 2010-03-26 at 8.04.32 AM.png

Screen shot 2010-03-26 at 8.04.44 AM.png