6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2010 3:52 PM by vidven

CS4 Capture/Audio Questions

vidven

Just installed CS4 Production Premium on a new HP Z800 workstation. 64-bit Windows 7 is the OS. CS4 Premiere has been updated to 4.2.1. I shoot in the 720/60p HDV format. The updated Matrox RT.X2 is also installed in system to deal with 720/60p.

Capture issues:

1. Is anyone capturing and editing MPEG files and do you have any problem doing so?

2. In CS3 all video files were captured and edited as Matrox AVI files. Is there a way to do so using CS4? When attempting to capture 720/60p as a Matrox AVI file the video is fine, yet there is no audio. Does anyone know how to arrange the settings to allow for audio capture when capturing as an AVI file?

Thanks.

Spencer

• 1. Re: CS4 Capture/Audio Questions
          Harm Millaard Level 7

1. No, but I don't have a Matrox.

2. That can happen with Matrox.

Try using just PR presets and capture and very likely all your problems will disappear.

• 2. Re: CS4 Capture/Audio Questions
            vidven Level 1

Hey Harm!

Thanks for responding to my question. Unfortunately I cannot edit 720/60p without Matrox, since Premiere does not recognize that particular format (nor does Avid, FPC or Vegas). I've been using the Matrox RT.X2 for almost three years...first on CS2 and then CS3...without any problems. CS2 and CS3 captured as AVIs. The only other way around the 720/60p issue is to use Cineform Prospect HD, but I'm missing one expensive component to make that possible. This is the first time I've been "forced" to edit in MPEG and, so far, I'm not impressed.

Spencer

• 3. Re: CS4 Capture/Audio Questions
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Spencer,

Capturing is nothing more (nor less) than a digital transfer of binary data. If you shot 720/60P, capturing will transfer the data without modification. However, as you correctly stated that specific HDV mode is not supported. It is supported for AVCHD, but then you can't capture, only import. What video camera shoots HDV 720/60P?

• 4. Re: CS4 Capture/Audio Questions
                cvid01 Level 4

Re: Capture as Matrox AVI, make sure your settings in the capture screen are correctly configured.

1.  The capture format should be set to Matrox AVI;

2.  Then configure the audio by ensuring that Channel 1-2 is chosen. All this is found in the Matrox AVI configuration from the settings on the capture screen.

• 5. Re: CS4 Capture/Audio Questions
                  vidven Level 1

Hey Harm,

For the past 2-1/2 years I've been shooting with two JVC GY-HD200U cameras. This camera shoots in the 720/60p, /30p and /24p modes. And they do an abssolutely beautiful job. The Matrox RT.X2 has done a terrific job under CS2 and CS3. It is only now that things have "stumbled" under CS4. I have just spent about four hours with the Matrox folks up in Canada. They, too, have been stumped by what they been seeing (computer control was turned over to them). But, toward the end of the day they came up with a partial fix, which allows me to continue working through the weekend. It still isn't right, but at least I can continue working.

Spencer

• 6. Re: CS4 Capture/Audio Questions
                    vidven Level 1

Hi,

You are correct. I had tried this, but to no avial. I spent several hours on the phone with the Matrox folks up in Canada. They, too, were stumped (I turned over computer control to them). They did, however, come up with a partial fix which allows me to continue work. It still isn't right, but it's a start. Right now I can capture about 8 to 10 minutes of video (and audio) and then the Matrox capture fails. So, I'm able to continue in these short spirts. It's a pain in the butt, but at least I can continue to work.

Thanks.

Spencer