7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2010 9:11 AM by the_wine_snob

Sidetracked to a Slide show but too much flicker!

Craig in Egypt Level 1

Hi all.

As my wife is a pro photographer...I've been asked to do a slide show with audio track for a client.

I've spent a few hours now reading so many posts on this forum relating to why still images flicker on a DVD when played on a TV. Amazing what you guys know it really is. :-)

So having now made numerous tests with: image sizes and formats (PSD TIF JPGetc), Blurs, Contrast settings etc, I am left with a hugh pile of used DVDs, but still cannot get the photos in my slide show to stop flickering when played on any LCD or CRT TV.

I have read posts advising that there are better products for slide shows than PrE8, so I'm currently dowloading an evaluation version of ProShow Gold.

I guess I am just looking for confirmation that I am on the right track with this mode of thinking..? It would seem that using PrE8 for a slide show is kind of like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut?

Thanks

Craig.

Egypt.

• 1. Re: Sidetracked to a Slide show but too much flicker!
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I say in my books, Craig (which are much easier to read than posts on this forum!), you need to do two things:

1) Ensure that your photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size; and

2) Right-click on each photo on your timeline and select Field Options and check the option box for Flicker Removal.

• 2. Re: Sidetracked to a Slide show but too much flicker!
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I do all of my SlideShows in PrPro, but other than the interface and a few little extras, there is not much in it, than would be found in PrE 8. However, I will say that I am evaluating ProShow Producer, and will probably pick up a copy for future SlideShows.

Now, starting with Scaled images in PS, going to .PSD's and animating via Keyframes in PrPro yields very good results for me. I Export as DV-AVI Type II and Import those into Encore for authoring. I view on a ton of different TV's and on several different computers. Not sure why you are getting flicker. Only time that I see that is if I have poorly chosen a serif font for Titles, but that is to be expected.

For your "coasters," I have two suggestions:

1.) Burn to Folder and then play the resulting VIDEO_TS folder's files in a DVD software player. If fine, then use ImgBurn to do the physical burn to disc.

2.) Burn to a DVD RW (a 10-pack will last years), and test with those. Note: Do NOT deliver on DVD RW's, as they are ONLY for testing.

Good luck, and please let us know your exact workflow from when your wife shoots the original images. Might be a tweak that we can offer in there someplace.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Sidetracked to a Slide show but too much flicker!
              Craig in Egypt Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks. All of my images are resized to 720 x 576 and the first thing I did was  Right-click on each photo in the timeline and select Field Options and check the option box for Flicker Removal.

I would love one of your books but.....unless Amazon have started to deliver into the middle of teh desert or Borders have opened up in between the Mosque and the Shisha shop...I may be out of luck on this occasion! ;-)

Craig

• 4. Re: Sidetracked to a Slide show but too much flicker!
                Craig in Egypt Level 1

Hey Bill

Thanks for the coasters tip! Not sure why I didn't think of DVD-RWs before! When you say a DVD s/w player....? Is that a separate application?

When you say you 'Import those into Encore for authoring' are you saying that it is the Encore application that burns your final DVD? Does the method of DVD authoring actually have any bearing on the flicker issue?

With regards to workflow. Here's what we did with this batch of photos:-

RAW files went from her Canon camera into her Canon application on the PC to save as TIFF files for editing in PS elements. From photoshop elements she saved them as TIFF for her own purposes, at varying sizes but big file sizes that were too big for my uses in PrE8. (15MB+)

So I took them and ran them through FASTSTONE to resize them to 720 x 576 max (as per the information on this Forum). The image output was JPG. I then brought them into PrE8 as media and placed them in the Timeline for around 5 seconds a piece, only adding a cross disolve from each picture to the next. I burned the DVD and played it on my 32" Phillips LCD TV. I was very happy with the quality of the pictures, but the flicker made it hard to watch.

Here's what I'm thinking as a course of action:

Have the wife use PS to resize her TIFF images to 720 x 576 and give them to me as PSD and also as TIFF files to make a test. Can you tell me if I am on the right lines as to be honest, I read so many postings where people seemed to have the screen flicker issue. So I thought PrE8 was not the right tool for the slideshow job and I would be better off with a ProShow or similar.

Thanks again.

Craig

• 5. Re: Sidetracked to a Slide show but too much flicker!
                  nealeh Level 5

A DVD s/w player is a separate application. You may already have one on your system without knowing it. For example I have:

• Cyberlink PowerDVD
                  • Nero Showtime
                  • VLC
                  • Windows Media Centre
                  • Windows Media Player
                  • Media Player Classic - Home Cinema
                  • Apple QuickTime

This website is a useful resource: Best Free Media Player.

Adobe Encore is a high end authoring package only now available with the CS4 Premiere Pro suite. In PRE you usually author from the 'Disk' tab, and burn from the 'Share' tab.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: Sidetracked to a Slide show but too much flicker!
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

BTW, Craig, I will gladly arrange shipments of any of my books to you, if you are unable to order them online.

Just write to me at steve at muvipix dot com.

• 7. Re: Sidetracked to a Slide show but too much flicker!
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      When you say a DVD s/w player....? Is that a separate application?

Yes. I use CyberLink's PowerDVD, but the freeware, MediaPlayer Classic HC is a good one too. As I have the full-paid versions of CyberLink on all machines, I have it set as the default DVD player, though I do have MPC HC too.

When you say you 'Import those into Encore for authoring' are you saying that it is the Encore application that burns your final DVD? Does the method of DVD authoring actually have any bearing on the flicker issue?

In my case, Encore is my authoring application of choice. Good news - it's great and works beautifully with both my PrPro and with Photoshop. Bad news - it is no longer sold as a stand-alone application, and is ONLY available bundled with Adobe PrPro, as of CS3 and now CS4.

All that Encore does is author DVD's and BD's (Blu-ray Discs). My version, EncoreDVD 2.0, does not have BD authoring capabilities, but, as of now, I only work in SD DVD Projects, so that limitation is not of consequence to me - yet.

Most of my Projects are Burned from Encore, though I can and do use ImgBurn (or Gear DVD) to do some Burns, especially if I have Burned to Folder, or done an Image (ISO), in my workflow.

Encore does have a very rudimentary SlideShow creation feature, but I do not use it. There are too many limitations, and the only thing that it offers, beyond what I do in PrPro, is Random Pan & Zoom, something that I would never do, as I view each image as unique, requiring my eye to determine exactly how the Pans & Zooms are applied, and adjusted. It also has a 99 image per SlideShow limit. I just have zero reason to use it.

I have never had an issue with flickering, and really cannot comment on flicker removal in Encore. Never needed it, so never looked for it. Also, since it is an authoring program, ONLY, I rather doubt that it has this. It would be an operation for the NLE, not the authoring app. Encore can do no editing (except for that SlideShow feature), in either Audio, or Video - none.

The image output was JPG.

As I've stated elsewhere, I am not a fan of JPEG compression, even at lower compression levels. This is both for print and video work. I only use JPEG, when I am doing work that will go onto a client's Web site, and often choose PNG over JPEG. I find that I can see slight pixelization with JPEG's, and eschew that format. As most of my images are in camera RAW (NEF's in my case), all of these come into PS through ARC, and are in .PSD format. I will do all of my image editing in that format, then resize for video and Save_As .PSD, which will then be Imported into my NLE (Non Linear Editor). I just never get to JPEG. Depending on your source material, and exactly how you are editing these images, you might want to explore not using JPEG in the scheme. As your wife is a professional photographer, test whether she can see a quality improvement. Some do not, but I can with my images. Not saying that PSD will eliminate your flickering problems, but it might be worth a look.

As for the ProShow programs, they do look good, and many professionals, who do major SlideShows are very pleased with them. One such producer on the PrPro forum got me to look into Producer, and it seems to be excellent. I just need to justify the purchase (and learning time), against the number of SlideShows that I am likely to do.

Last, with regards to the DVD RW's, remember that those are just for testing, and NOT for delivery. For that, I strongly recommend Verbatim, or Taiyo Yuden blank media. Nowadays, the -R vs +R is not the issue, that it once was. I always use +R for all DVD-9's (DL), but will use either for DVD-5's.

Good luck,

Hunt