26 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2010 8:36 PM by the_wine_snob

I can now actually say "CS5"

dradeke Adobe Employee

Some times I am asked things that don't make sense.  One of those was to not mention CS5 explicitly until a few days ago.  However, we've announced that we're going to announce on 4/12.

I thought you might like to register for the live event - coincidentally (wink wink) on the first day of NAB.

http://cs5launch.adobe.com/?promoid=FDMOJ

There's also a lot going on with the has #csbuzz.  If you're interested I twitter occasionally at TheGenesisProj

Dennis

• 1. Re: I can now actually say "CS5"
          tclark513 Level 3

I take it since the Mercury Playback Engine Demo is on that same page it is coming with CS5?

• 2. Re: I can now actually say "CS5"
            Harm Millaard Level 7

That is correct. I can't remember where, but it was announced some time ago. Details will follow soon.

• 3. Re: I can now actually say "CS5"
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

> (MPE) Details will follow soon

Good... I am in a holding pattern on building a 64bit computer until I actually have CS5 in hand (no sense building a new computer until I have the software to install) and, since I plan to continue doing ONLY standard definition work, I will be very interested to see if the MPE has any benefit for me

ATI for $100 -vs- nVidia 285 for $400 is a big deal (to me) in my build budget... if MPE does nothing for the work I will be doing

My work flow is 8mm analog tape to computer via Pinnacle Dv500... edit... AVI output from Premiere... Encore for authoring and transcoding to DVD

I don't think MPE will do anything for me... but I will keep watching and reading to find out details when CS5 is released

• 4. Re: I can now actually say "CS5"
                Harm Millaard Level 7

None of us have seen any benchmarks on the performance gain with MPE, but your workflow in SD is so easy on a fast new machine, that I personally doubt the price difference is worth the extra performance. You are talking 3 times the price. How much performance gain is that worth when you are talking only about short rendering/encoding times? It is different with AVCHD and Red material I guess.

• 5. Re: I can now actually say "CS5"
                  tclark513 Level 3

It will definitely be worth the price for SD.  If you are color correcting or working with still photos and adding multiple effects it will be awesome to play immediately without rendering...

• 6. Re: I can now actually say "CS5"
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Can you point me to some comparisons for SD material, or for that matter, any material that show the difference between CUDA enabled or disabled? Many would be interested.

• 7. Re: I can now actually say "CS5"
                      tclark513 Level 3

Absolutely:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/adobe_mercury_playback_engine.html

Check the bottom videos for comparisons.

• 8. Re: I can now actually say "CS5"
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Thanks. That emphasizes my point. For H.264, AVCHD, RED it looks very nice. It does not show what the performance increase is at all, is it 5 %, 50 % or 500 % for that material. Nor does it show what the performance increase is for SD material. Nor the system it was run on to produce these results. Nor does it mention whether Marketing thought it wise to apply some time-remapping on the footage. If you get a 5 % performance gain for your most bothersome task, is it worth a quadruple price for the video card? If you get 50 % performance gain, is it worth it? I don't know. That is something everyone has to decide himself.

You are simply accepting marketing hype without a basis for comparisons. I abhor from making purchasing decisions on that basis.

Just be patient, like I said "details will follow soon" and don't rush out for hasty decisions that you may regret later. Hold your horses.

• 9. Re: I can now actually say "CS5"
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

To add to my previous point, Elemental Accelerator got the same hype as being the ultimate tool to get giant performance gains. Look at the demo's on nVidia's website. I have not heard anything positive about it, only people returning it for a refund. That happens when you believe marketing hype without a quantitative base for comparison.

• 10. Re: I can now actually say "CS5"
                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Hold your horses.

Not a problem, just curious (for now) since my current timeline is... (give or take a month)

Mid-April CS5 Launch

Mid-May CS5 Available to buy

Since I do not do commercial work, and since I work at a University with a restricted store, I buy at about a 75% discount... Education version, but when I buy the Master Collection (for "about" $600 -vs- well over $2000) I think it will have all the functionality I need for my home movie DVD work

So... that means "about" June or July (maybe later, if Adobe takes longer to produce the education version) I will be able to buy CS5

Once I have CS5 in hand, I will buy an i7 and Asus P6 and 12Gig ram to finish building my new computer... I guess about August

That gives me plenty of time to read what the early adopters have to say about CS5 and the MPE module in the real world

JohnWhoIsWaitingButNotVeryPatiently

• 11. Re: I can now actually say "CS5"
                              tclark513 Level 3

Im sure I will hold my horses but I am pretty confident with everything I have seen that an extra 250.00 will be WELL worth the extra money.

That is unless they try and charge an "activation" fee for MPE.

• 12. Re: I can now actually say "CS5"
                                therayman Level 1

Well I would wait a while. a good long while....

I used real time playback professionally in CS3 with Cineform for years with no problem... then CS4 came along, It was and still is such a terribly bad release that it still doesn't work as touted. I do use it to edit sometimes but render out and view in CS3. To use the new RT engine requires an expensive video card with no track record. With Nvidia that means drivers. Having been bitten o so many times using CS4 I am very, very wary of anything hyped up by Adobe.

• 13. Re: I can now actually say "CS5"
                                  dradeke Adobe Employee

I agree that CS4 failed in the area of partner robustness initially - though it has not been a continual problem.

I will say that the CS5 communication with partners has been a complete turnaround (on both sides) and I think you can expect fantastic things from our hardware and software partners in general.  That's my professional opinion..

Dennis

therayman wrote:

Well I would wait a while. a good long while....

I used real time playback professionally in CS3 with Cineform for years with no problem... then CS4 came along, It was and still is such a terribly bad release that it still doesn't work as touted. I do use it to edit sometimes but render out and view in CS3. To use the new RT engine requires an expensive video card with no track record. With Nvidia that means drivers. Having been bitten o so many times using CS4 I am very, very wary of anything hyped up by Adobe.

• 14. Re: I can now actually say "CS5"
                                    therayman Level 1

Actually it is a continuing problem. There is also NO solution for CS4, the bugs are still there and according to Cineform. They also claim that Adobe don't intend to fix them in that release. The only solutions are either upgrade to CS5 or return to CS3. CS3 still works very well with their RT engine. CS5 is an unknown quantity. I hope Adobe has it right this time but I very much doubt it.

As someone who is paid by Adobe your professional opinion can’t be unbiased.

• 15. Re: I can now actually say "CS5"
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Are you familiar with finger-pointing?

You have a problem, let's say with TV reception.

You call the cable company and they say it is not their fault, they measured your reception quality and it is OK. So it has got to be either your connection or your TV. etc.

You get the picture (maybe not with the bad reception)?

If you leave Cineform out of the equation, you may hear quite different stories and your own experience may radically change.

• 16. Re: I can now actually say "CS5"
                                        therayman Level 1

The big difference from your scenario is that I can talk direct to the guys

who write the code. I don't get big company BS.

• 17. Re: I can now actually say "CS5"
                                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Being a simple user of CS4, and not an Adobe employee, I can only say that 4.2.1 is quite stable. I have not had a freeze, error report or hang since it came out. Projects with various formats and I have not encountered any difficulties. I also think I'm not alone in that. Maybe you ought to start a new topic where you can vent/rant or ask a question.

• 18. Re: I can now actually say "CS5"
                                            shooternz Level 6
                                            I hope Adobe has it right this time but I very much doubt it.

Your solution is easy...stick with CS3 (and Cineform).  Upgrading to newer versions are not compulsory.

Why do you even use Adobe products with your experience and low opinion of them anyway?

BTW - thanx Dennis - looking forward to the release with high anticipation.

• 19. Re: I can now actually say "CS5"
                                              therayman Level 1

Simply too much money invested for the moment....cost out several seats of

CS4 Master collection with hardware.  Adobe don't listen to rants

...everyone knows that but they do hurt if people hold off on new software.

• 20. Re: I can now actually say "CS5"
                                                dradeke Adobe Employee

therayman wrote:

Simply too much money invested for the moment....cost out several seats of

CS4 Master collection with hardware.  Adobe don't listen to rants

...everyone knows that but they do hurt if people hold off on new software.

rayman,

If that were true, I wouldn't be on this forum.

Rant away, or better yet let  the group here and I try to help you with your problem(s).

Dennis

• 21. Re: I can now actually say "CS5"
                                                  shooternz Level 6

@ Moderators

I think CS5 is a whole NEW GAME...so..

Is it too early to start a CS5 Forum that is ready to run from the "get-go" of the Release?

Many will be seeking and offering  info etc and separating it ....will allow the other PremPro forums to run without confusing everyone.

eg the current forum has threads from 1.5 thru' to CS4 Users.

• 22. Re: I can now actually say "CS5"
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Instead of ranting, filling in the Feature Request/Bug Report will be the best course of action. Adobe takes these very, very seriously. Be sure to provide all details, so that Adobe can either replicate the Bug, or so they can measure the value of a Feature Request. This does get Adobe's attention.

I'm not sure about Dennis' "day job" with Adobe, but I would anticipate that he's immersed in other areas of the corporation and even this product. My guess is that he's chosen to share his knowledge and his "insider's perspective," but probably has to do other things 10-12 hours a day. In that job, he probably does not have the time to run down the hall to QA, or another department, with tid-bits that he might pick up from his time on the forum. That is why I strongly suggest the above Feature Request/Bug Report. That will get "down the hall."

We're just honored and happy to have Dennis here, when he has a moment, or a morsel to offer us lowly users. Same for Wil Renzces. Just having these gentlemen drop in, from time to time, is great. Now, I do wish that Adobe could spare an employee full-time here, but most of us live in today's economy. At least Adobe does offer a direct line, though you might not get an e-mail, they will read and act on your comments.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 23. Re: I can now actually say "CS5"
                                                      Curt Wrigley Level 4

shooternz wrote:

@ Moderators

I think CS5 is a whole NEW GAME...so..

Is it too early to start a CS5 Forum that is ready to run from the "get-go" of the Release?

Many will be seeking and offering  info etc and separating it ....will allow the other PremPro forums to run without confusing everyone.

eg the current forum has threads from 1.5 thru' to CS4 Users.

We tend to like the forums as flat as possible; but I do understand the reasoning behind this idea.  We will review it.

• 24. Re: I can now actually say "CS5"
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Historically, there have been about 60% general PrPro issues/questions, and then it does get a bit more specific, especially when it comes to the exact directions on how to do something.

The older Encore fora were split into many sub-fora, things got tough. These were not by versions, but you topic. It took hours to navigate these, in order to help. The combined Encore forum is much better.

I would vote for the same structure here. With the Hardware, the Lounge, the Elements and the older Premiere fora, I think that things are covered, but would welcome discussions on forum structures.

Hunt

• 25. Re: I can now actually say "CS5"
                                                          shooternz Level 6

I will create a NEW Thread for this.

• 26. Re: I can now actually say "CS5"
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Craig,

This might be a discussion for the Lounge. I'd like to see the suggestions from others. I might not change my one vote, but would be very interested in seeing how other view a break-off of the new version.

In the PrElements forum, I was very tempted to suggest a version 8 break-off. Maybe CS5 will have that weight here?

Just a thought,

Hunt

PS - we still need to do a bunch of Cloudy Bay...