24 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2010 7:53 AM by Intercostal

Blue Screen Crash with CS3

Intercostal Level 1

Seems to me I've been through this in the past but don't recall the solution.

After a harddrive failure on my laptop I installed CS3 on my newly installed harddrive.

I then tried to open Premiere, it crashed with a Windows blue screen error message.

Then, I installed the latest CS3 patch and opened Premiere. While the files

were being cached(or whatever it's called) Premiere crashed again, same blue screen.

The blue screen went by pretty quickly, something about must shut down to prevent harm to computer.

Windows XP, intel duo core processor 2.0 GHz, 2GB RAM..same specs ran on with my old harddrive.

• 1. Re: Blue Screen Crash with CS3
          Harm Millaard Level 7

That looks like a hardware failure, temps, voltage, memory, hard disk or even CPU.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Blue Screen Crash with CS3
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Harm. Set your computer to NOT reboot on error, and read the BSOD. Might be a clue there. Also, see this ARTICLE for tracking down clues as to what is happening leading up to the crash.

Here is a link to one of Harm's excellent ARTICLES on tools to track down issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Blue Screen Crash with CS3
              Intercostal Level 1

I took my laptop, with it's brand new hard drive, back to the computer shop.

They experienced a non-Premiere Windows blue screen while in the shop, which is something

I hadn't even encountered.

They're still looking at it, they may have an answer by tomorrow.

Anyway, this is pushing me into buying a workstation, which is a discussion I'll have to pick up on the hardware forum.

• 4. Re: Blue Screen Crash with CS3
                Harm Millaard Level 7

I hope for you that it is something simple and easy to repair. As a general rule, BSOD's are hardware related, not software and the most common problems are temps and voltage. In a notebook that order may be temps (a failing fan) and memory instead of PSU. It is a good thing that they encountered your same problem with other software, so they will look more closely at the hardware.

Best of luck.

• 5. Re: Blue Screen Crash with CS3
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  They experienced a non-Premiere Windows blue screen

What often happens is that an NLE, like PrPro, will stress a machine more than most programs. They will point up "weak links," that might go undetected with other programs.

As Harm points out, heat buildup is a very common problem. With intense operations, like Rendering, Export and Transcoding for DVD/BD, things are used at a very high level. Weaknesses will often be pointed out.

Good luck, and hope that things go well,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Blue Screen Crash with CS3
                    Intercostal Level 1

I will upgrade to cs4 with my new computer but for the time being....Is cs3 compatable with Windows 7?

I always had XP pro on my laptop. This time Windows 7 was installed. It's still in the shop.

• 7. Re: Blue Screen Crash with CS3
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

If I were in your shoes, I would wait a bit and then upgrade to CS5.

CS3 has not been certified to run under Win7, but it probably will.

• 8. Re: Blue Screen Crash with CS3
                        Intercostal Level 1

Unless cs5 is coming out in a couple of days, I can't wait. I have little hope for my laptop and I need to go back to work on my film immediately, which means a new computer that will get the job done without all this stress.

Edit: I see what you're saying, skip cs4 and get ver 5, probably what I'll do. I was thinking that cs3 might not be totally compatable with the new computer but it may be. I still have doubts that cs3 works well with Windows 7.

• 9. Re: Blue Screen Crash with CS3
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

I can't tell you since I have 4.2.1 with Win7-64, but maybe someone else can tell you.

• 10. Re: Blue Screen Crash with CS3
                            Intercostal Level 1

BTW, when is CS5 supposed to be released?

• 11. Re: Blue Screen Crash with CS3
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

April 12th at NAB is the "leaked" date.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Blue Screen Crash with CS3
                                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As Bill said, CS5 Launch Date is April 12 2010 http://cs5launch.adobe.com/

As far as being able to order and install... nobody knows for sure, but I did see a post (don't have a link) claiming "about" 4 weeks after launch to having physical product

Since PPro CS5 is 64bit only, that will mean at least Win7 64bit and a powerful computer (I don't know if Vista 64bit will be included, but I will "guess" the answer is yes, since it has been available during the CS5 programming and testing period)

• 13. Re: Blue Screen Crash with CS3
                                  Intercostal Level 1

Thanks, Bill and John.

John, since I'm getting a new computer this coming week(unless by some miracle they fix my laptop) will CS3 or CS4 also run on a computer with Win7 64bit installed (so I'll have an operating system in the new computer built for the upcoming CS5 as well) ?

• 14. Re: Blue Screen Crash with CS3
                                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

PMJI.

CS4 runs great on Windows 7 64-bit.  It spawns multiple 32-bit processes

that can take advantage of many GBs of RAM.

-Jeff

• 15. Re: Blue Screen Crash with CS3
                                      Intercostal Level 1

JIPA .(jumping in perfectly acceptable)

Thanks, Jeff.

• 16. Re: Blue Screen Crash with CS3
                                        Intercostal Level 1

Update:

I got my laptop back yesterday. They couldn't find the problem, they offered to re-install Windows, I said yes. They said, it'll run fine but just can't handle Premiere, in other words,,,, it's best not to even install Premiere. I waited a day and today decided I'd see if Premiere works with a fresh install of

Windows. So, I installed Premiere....works fine, no crash.

To recap:

1.  Premiere CS3 worked fine on laptop until I got a BlueScreenOfDeath(hardware total failure).

2.  Had new hard drive installed, installed Premiere on new hard drive.

3.  New hard drive in laptop has a blue screen crash every time I try to go into Premiere.

4.  Take computer back to shop, they can't find problem, offer to reinstall Windows XP, I accept,

5.  A day later, after giving up on ever having PP on this laptop again, reluctantly decide to reinstall PP.

6.  PP CS3 works fine on same computer it was blue screen crashing on, Windows reinstallation apparently factors into this.

7.  I still will get new desktop

• 17. Re: Blue Screen Crash with CS3
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I linked to Harm Millaard's Tools in this ARTICLE. You might want to test your RAM and also monitor your heat with Speedfan. Those are two possible causes of BSOD's. These can be triggered by the intense work that PrPro does.

Good luck, and hope that those links help,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Blue Screen Crash with CS3
                                            Intercostal Level 1

Bill,

Here are the results of speedfan 4.0.

HD0   43C

Temp1: 45C

Core 0: 63C

Core 1: 58C

Found ACPI temperature (45.0C)
                                            Found Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2500 @ 2.00GHz
                                            End of detection

As far as  the RAM I'll have to see if the shop checked it.

I don't have the background to know what the Speefan findings suggest. Do you know? I didn't press configure. 'Automatic fan speed' is not checked.

• 19. Re: Blue Screen Crash with CS3
                                              Intercostal Level 1

Also, the RAM and heat could be associated with the old harddrive's COMPLETE failure but I don't see it as why, with the new harddrive, it blue screen crashed when launching Premiere, otherwise it would be crashing now. I think the separate Premiere launching blue screen crashes were somehow associated with the initial Windows installation(I had Windows reinstalled).

However,  the old harddrive, though I've owned for 2 years was only put in a few months ago and BSOF'd lastSunday.  So maybe that HD total failure(not the other blue screen when launching PP) was related to heat or RAM.   

• 20. Re: Blue Screen Crash with CS3
                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Were these temps idle or under load? If idle, then you definitely have a temp problem. For comparison, on my notebook idle, it shows:

29-Mar-10 8-20-46.jpg

63 and 58 C for your cores is too high when idle and when running a heavy load, like encoding, it is likely that the thermal protection kicks in. The thermal specification for your processor is 100 C, so you have a range of only 37 C before the protection kicks in. Also your disk is pretty hot as well.

You can try to see what happens when you run Prime95 and have the torture test run for an hour or so. My guess is that you will experience the same BSOD.

• 21. Re: Blue Screen Crash with CS3
                                                  Intercostal Level 1

Harm, I can take the computer into the shop. What is the remedy? I can tell them the symptoms but what needs to be adjusted or fixed on my laptop?

• 22. Re: Blue Screen Crash with CS3
                                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Cleaning ventilation openings and removing of dust from the fans, checking the fans for RPM's, possibly exchanging them with more powerful ones that displace more air. Those are the things that pop to mind. BTW, do you smoke? Nicotin can cause these problems, not only personal health issues, but also computer problems.

PS: With an ambient temperature of 21 C, my core temperatures at idle vary between 35 and 40 C, depending on background processes.

• 23. Re: Blue Screen Crash with CS3
                                                      Intercostal Level 1

Thanks, Harm. It will help in giving the shop some kind of direction because they miss things even though it is their actual job to know these things.

I've felt that it was running hot, they had mentioned re-appling thermal paste to the processor a couple days ago but didn't stress it.

There are 2 different blue screen issues and one is solved:

1. The original irreparable crash which prompted me getting a new HD.

2. The blue screen crash... on the NEW harddrive.... whenever I tried to open Premiere.(which apparently was solved when they re-installed

Windows a 2nd time on my brand new HD because my computer no longer Blue screen crashes when Premiere loads.

Addressing the heat issue could prevent future BSOD crashes and may have prevented the original crash.

Also, does BSOD refer to the irreparable crashes which render your HD useless or ANY crash where a blue screen appears?   I have been using BSOD to refer to a complete/total/final HD crash.

I don't smoke but these series of mishaps may get me started.

• 24. Re: Blue Screen Crash with CS3
                                                        Intercostal Level 1

My computer was idle when I got the readings so I'll be having it fixed or looked at.