10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2010 3:40 PM by SJurick

How to export video that plays back smoothly?

SJurick Level 1

I have an HD project in Premiere Pro CS4 that is about 9 minutes.  When I render out to Flash for the web, once it's all buffered it plays back real smooth.  So the client wants a copy of the "file" to be played on his computer running Windows and Windows Media Player which he will attach to a large 55" flatscreen via HDMI at a trade show.  I rendered out several different files ranging from .MOV to H.264 in various resolutions (1920x1080, 1280x720p, 720x480 wide, iPod, etc.) and tested them on my Dell Inspiron i3 laptop running Windows 7 Home 64 bit connected to my 46" tv via HDMI to simulate what the client would have.

The 1920 file was huge (2GB) as one would expect and plays back jerky

The 1280x720p .MP4 file was about 400mb which I was excited about, but plays back jerky

The other two (.MOV and .MP4) at 720x480 play back smoothly

So I'm guessing that it's either a disk / processor issue with playing back the larger files or combo of that and the graphics card or am I having an issue with the way the settings are set in the export options?

The box I'm producing the video on is a Mac i7 quad-core, 8GB RAM and a nice ATI card.  The full rez versions of the files play fine on it.  BluRay is out too.  Don't have a burner and they don't have a player.

So what file format and settings can I render out that will yield smooth(er) results at larger resolutions for my intended output?

Thanks,

Steve

• 2. Re: How to export video that plays back smoothly?
          JaysonM-Y Level 3

LOL @ defrag.

But seriously, those flies play jerky on your system? Have you tried converting it to WMV for them?

• 3. Re: How to export video that plays back smoothly?
            SJurick Level 1

Defrag - I know.  That's like "is your tv plugged in?".

Anyways, no I haven't tried converting them to WMV but I will.  BTW, in response to the defrag.  The laptop is about a week old and is mostly used for internet so the drive really hasn't had any time to get defragged much.

• 4. Re: How to export video that plays back smoothly?
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              the drive really hasn't had any time to get defragged much.

I agree, but it got a good chance of getting fragmented.

• 5. Re: How to export video that plays back smoothly?
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

I was serious about defragging your drive.  I use PerfectDisk.  They have a trial.  There are also free defraggers available that are better than Windows' defragger.

Anyway, analyze your drive with a good defragging program.  You'll be surprised.

-Jeff

• 6. Re: How to export video that plays back smoothly?
                  SJurick Level 1

And the answer is.... converting the footage to WMV.  Tada.  I exported a nice huge HD 1920x1080 H.264 file and then used iSkysoft Video Converter to convert it to WMV.  Now the only thing is that iSkysoft Coverter only allows 1280x720 as it's largest resolution for WMVs, but even so, the quality on a 46" LCD TV coming from a laptop via HDMI looks pretty sharp.  The video was running very smooth (and it was running off a USB key <g>) to boot.

The file size of the original HD H.264 file:  9.02GB

The file size of the converted WMV: 437.5MB

All in all I'm happy with this breakthrough.  I was "this" close to buying a BluRay burner, media and telling the client to use a BluRay player.

Now... I love what I got, but it could be better.  Does anyone know of a good video converter that will convert WMVs to true HD resolution (1920x1080) or is that 1280x720 a WMV limit?

Thanks all,

Steve

• 7. Re: How to export video that plays back smoothly?
                    JaysonM-Y Level 3

Is your mac a desktop? You could then install premier on your laptop and use media encoder from there(if the option is not already available on the mac), since you're allowed to run your copy of cs4 on 1 desktop and on 1 laptop.

• 8. Re: How to export video that plays back smoothly?
                      shooternz Level 6

Here is the crux of the issue:

You allowed a client to dictate what he /she thought was the correct way to "playback" at the trade show.

The size of the screen (55") is not the issue.  Playing back off a computer (laptop) of unknow specs to a decent resolution and speed is the issue.

That you have found a solution is kind of compromised quality wise.

Your DVD or Blu ray DVD solution was what the client should have gone with.

• 9. Re: How to export video that plays back smoothly?
                        SJurick Level 1

"Is your mac a desktop? You could then install premier on your laptop and  use media encoder from there(if the option is not already available on  the mac), since you're allowed to run your copy of cs4 on 1 desktop and  on 1 laptop."

Yes it is a desktop Mac (Mac Pro), but I've never heard of the ability to run a) on two machines at once and b) different platforms without some deactivations.  I had to relinquish my PC license and media in order to get the Mac version of CS4.  If this has changed and they let you run two different instances simultaneously please let me know.  Otherwise the only way I know of accomplishing that is to Deactivate the Mac, and Activate the PC, which means I'd have to have two licenses to begin with so a bit confused.

Anyways, CS4 Premiere Pro does use Media Encoder on Mac but it does not have the WMV options as well as AVI is missing.  I have used the CS4 PC version and it does have Windows based encoders.

• 10. Re: How to export video that plays back smoothly?
                          SJurick Level 1

Shooternz:  You are absolutely correct.  I should dictate how the footage is played back but if they are in a position to be flexible with the look of the video and are willing to see it in less than BluRay quality then so be it.  I'm just making it as close to perfect as I can for them.